Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jun Wed 26, 2019 3:42 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: mold
PostPosted: Mar Sat 09, 2019 6:29 pm 
Member

Joined: Nov Thu 13, 2014 3:39 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Québec, Canada.
Hello guys. I hope you're doing great. I had a box of magnetic tapes in my basement and now they're getting eaten by mold. The water issues probably did not help... Plus I made years ago the not-so-bright decision of packing tapes that were already moldy with ones that were not... Is there an efficient way to remove the mold? If not, guess I'll let it rot forever. There's tape on open reels, in cassettes, and there's VHS tape. Most of it isn't really anything of value... Some of it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Mar Sat 09, 2019 6:40 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Mon 26, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 25938
Location: Annapolis, MD
"eaten" by mold? The plastic substrate or the coating? (or both?)

The standard mold-killer is bleach. (and also ammonia?) Before doing anything else, I would run some tests on an unimportant tape.

The procedure will be past tedious---somehow, you have to run the tape through a bath, then a drying arrangement, then onto another reel.

But WAIT: Do a Google search before doing anything.....

_________________
-Mark
"Measure voltage, but THINK current." --anon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Mar Sun 10, 2019 5:10 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Sat 24, 2011 9:17 pm
Posts: 4110
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Wipe it off with paper towels. Then find a dry spot for the good stuff.
Mold needs to eat, so it is growing on the damp dust and the cardboard.

_________________
Watch the doughnut, not the hole.
Burl Ives, RIP, oldtimer.
[:l>)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Mar Sun 10, 2019 8:45 pm 
Member

Joined: Nov Thu 13, 2014 3:39 pm
Posts: 68
Location: Québec, Canada.
Isn't bleach an oxidizing agent? How would that work out with the magnetic field on the tape? Anyway this manual labor is too much. I think I'll put all of it in a dry place, to slow down the mold, and see what I can do with the stuff worth something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 1:49 am 
Member

Joined: May Thu 04, 2017 1:08 pm
Posts: 233
Location: Raleigh, NC area
I'll throw this out there, even though you're way up North.

Set them out in the sun? Probably won't clean them off, but maybe the UV would kill the stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 3:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Mon 26, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 25938
Location: Annapolis, MD
I have no clue if bleach would be appropriate here. But, an oxidizing agent would not affect a magnetic field---the concern would be actually attacking the materials.

UV might be effective, but is will definitely attack certain materials.

_________________
-Mark
"Measure voltage, but THINK current." --anon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB