Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to find CDs anymore- somewhat more obscure artists
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 10:18 pm 

I've recently discovered the easy country of Craig Shoemaker (not to be confused with an X-rated comedian of the same name) on satellite radio. I absolutely love pedal steel instrumentals. I know he has a number of CDs out and would have gotten them through Amazon but they quit selling CDs a year or so ago. Just wondering where I'd have a chance of finding them. I prefer hard copies to downloads as I never know how much digital compression has been done.

Thanks,

Scott Todd

Post subject: Re: Where to find CDs anymore- somewhat more obscure artists
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 1:32 am 

Amazon may not sell CDs themselves but they are still available through their third party vendors.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 2:38 am 

Your problem is not the lack of places that sell CD's, it's your search parameters. Try spelling it "Craig Schumacher", and see if he's got a website...you may be able to buy CD's directly from the artist.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2019 1:12 pm 

Searched ebay yet? I have purchased "used" or "open package" CDs of stuff on there that I wanted for very cheap.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 5:50 am 

Since when did Amazon stop selling CDs?

I buy CDs all the time from them, you even get a digital copy from them. I have also bought cassettes and vinyl from them, and again they included digital copies. Makes it easier to get the music I collect onto my phone!

I bought CDs just a few months ago from Amazon....

I agree with finding the artist's website, or see if they have Facebook and you can ask them where to get their music.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 4:35 am 

Jim Mueller wrote:
Amazon may not sell CDs themselves but they are still available through their third party vendors.

I see his music listed, but only as downloads now; no third party sellers with his CDs.

Quote:
Try spelling it "Craig Schumacher", and see if he's got a website...you may be able to buy CD's directly from the artist.

Spelling is correct on my end as I get valid search results at Amazon. Will see about a website or FB page, though. Good suggestion.

Quote:
Searched ebay yet?

Sure have- only aforementioned X-rated comedian, not the pedal steel guy.

Quote:
Since when did Amazon stop selling CDs?

Sometime in the past 6-9 months. I believe Best Buy quit selling them about the same time.

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 5:21 am 

Hmmmm, I just checked Amazon, I can still buy CDs, do you have a product category filter selected?

I can't see Amazon deciding to not sell CDs.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 10:01 pm 

Found his Facebook page and from there found a link to his website. I should be OK now.

Scott

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 3:11 pm 

I am afraid that it appears that CD is going the way of the LP record. LPs held on in small amounts over time, CDs may still be issued in some cases, but I suspect that if we are not prepared to download digital files and have some way to store and utilize them, we are gonna be buying used from now on.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 4:31 am 

Another thing that bugs me about downloads is that in some cases you're essentially renting the music. I want to buy it without any danger that there's some hidden code in there that has some means to "phone home" where the music service can delete it off your device.

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 6:24 pm 

I don't like downloads either, but once you have it on your computer you ought to be able to put it on a flash drive or burn your own CD, shouldn't you?

I may be too old fashioned, but I would never even consider purchasing a download of anything, if I can't buy a hard copy of it then I guess I don't need it.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 9:08 pm 

I prefer owning a hard copy of any music I purchase.
However, I will say that I also like buying one track at a time downloads, as my entire life I've never really liked more than half of any album I've owned.

The single track downloads are usually $0.99 each, which compares well to what I remember paying for CDs in the '90s, about $12-$20 for 10-12 songs.

I usually store the MP3 on my server, scattered memory sticks and I'll also burn a CD for my pioneer home CD changer for listening in my vintage stereo system.

None of it is "rented", although the online streaming service may some day shut down, I still have my own copies.

A good thing about Amazon is that almost any music you buy from them will come with a digital version that has an Amazon player app in my truck and car. So, even the vinyl I've purchased is playable in my vehicles without me needing to go through the hassle of ripping vinyl to MP3.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:07 am 

made in china wrote:

The single track downloads are usually $0.99 each, which compares well to what I remember paying for CDs in the '90s, about $12-$20 for 10-12 songs.

And those song costs in the '90's compared well with the vinyl costs in the '50s. I remember buying an Ames Bros LP in '58 for $5.00. Woulda cost $6 if I had wanted the stereo version. 45's were 79 cents.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 3:17 am 

fifties wrote:
made in china wrote:

And those song costs in the '90's compared well with the vinyl costs in the '50s. I remember buying an Ames Bros LP in '58 for $5.00. Woulda cost $6 if I had wanted the stereo version. 45's were 79 cents.

That's pretty cool! My first ever music I bought was Tears for Fears on vinyl. I believe it was $12.99

In the last few years I have been collecting jazz LPs like Erroll Garner, Dave Brubeck, etc. And the LPs from that vintage, I do have to make sure they are in Stereo, I have picked up a mono LP once or twice by mistake!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 6:46 am 

made in china wrote:

In the last few years I have been collecting jazz LPs like Erroll Garner, Dave Brubeck, etc. And the LPs from that vintage, I do have to make sure they are in Stereo, I have picked up a mono LP once or twice by mistake!

Well remember though, the standard back then was mono, as those records were broadcast on AM, and to hear them that way is listening to them as they were back then.

I remember Dave Brubeck's first Pop hit, "Take Five"; came out on the west coast in June of 1961. Bitchen cocktail lounge type wax.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 23, 2019 6:54 am 

fifties wrote:
I remember Dave Brubeck's first Pop hit, "Take Five"; came out on the west coast in June of 1961. Bitchen cocktail lounge type wax.

I got to see Brubeck at the Telluride Jazz Festival when I was a kid in the early 80's.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 24, 2019 2:57 pm 

Is this the Craig S referred to per OP?
Song samples: https://www.allmusic.com/album/new-shoes-mw0001018905

Yes, Amazon still sells CDs. A few titles are currently offered cheaper as a CD than their MP3 version.

Several years back I purchased a few CDs that were less expensive than their digital only version plus the purchase of the physical CD included a feature called “auto-rip” that allowed free unlimited download of the more expensive MP3 version. Not sure if it’s still offered.

CDs are currently going the way of LPs in the late 1980s. There is a bit of ironic nostalgia attached to their passing but their days are numbered.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 26, 2019 4:23 pm 

47volts wrote: "CDs are currently going the way of LPs in the late 1980s. There is a bit of ironic nostalgia attached to their passing but their days are numbered."

Well, I'm not sure that the CD's days are numbered for the foreseeable future, but certainly not the LP's. In fact, during last year alone, LP's actually captured a whopping 12% of all album sales which equated to nearly 17 million LP's. Although that may not sound much at first glance, LP sales tend to be far more profitable than the CD's as many vinyl albums on the market will currently command nearly $40, and in some cases, nearly double that. Of course, this does not account for the used LP's on the market that are being sold as well, or even the singles for that matter. At this point, it may take several months after an artist releases an album, and when the vinyl pressing factories can clear their backlog, and actually begin pressing the vinyl for the new order. The reason being is that there are still relatively few vinyl pressing plants inside the United States, and typically with a limited number of presses. As all of the old vinyl presses had already been snatched up some years ago, new presses began coming on line to meet the demand. So no, I don't see the LP going out anytime soon as it obviously fills a niche. If anything, the sales of LP's will likely continue to spiral upwards.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 03, 2019 3:43 am 

I was a little stunned by , trouble purchasing cd's. I buy all the time from Amazon.ca having said that the US site has so much streaming vs Canadian site hardly any.
But you're right you have to look hard on .com .We use to have a lot of HMV store's
they went under, but replaced by another co. lots of vinyl, cd and blu ray.
Personally i never stopped with vinyl, and my collection of both cd and vinyl continues to grow
a lot of classical now. You can find mint cd from places like Goodwill etc. also some respectful vinyl. for that you must inspect the record for warps etc.
Thanks all

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 5:55 pm 

I get mine mail order from :

https://www.ccmusic.com/