Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Tue 18, 2021 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 10" LP's
PostPosted: Aug Sat 29, 2020 3:00 am 

Was in the local thrift store and found some 10' Lp's , opera, scottish bagpipe players , classical , etc.... these sounded like they were not played much ... a little cleaning and they sounded like new. now I am hooked ... doris day never sounded better ...anyone else have and play 10" long plays?

Post subject: Re: 10" LP's
PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 1:50 am 

They're pretty common, from the very beginning of the LP. Also, some were made long after that for special purposes.

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 3:31 pm 

Yes! have about 50+ all are in great shape. Really enjoy them. :D

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2020 8:46 pm 

I am on the lookout for them now...but I like all forms of obscure media from the past...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 24, 2020 4:23 am 

I have about 14 10" Lps. About 4 Jackie Gleason Orchestra, a couple Francis Scott Orchestra, Finnegan-Sauter, and others. I've also been collecting 45 rpm EP sets; most are the Jackie Gleason Orchestra, a Dave Brubeck, and others I can't recall at this time.
RW

"Enough...is never enough." Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #97

PostPosted: Jan Fri 15, 2021 12:52 am 

I have several 10" Christmas records, mainly for the novality and because it's the only thing from the early 50s that I would actually listen to. I also have some "learning Spanish" 10" LPs. Also, if I remember correctly, I was digging through the discount bin at the local record store and there was the very first 10" classical LP that Columbia issued in 1948. Of course I had to get it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Mon 22, 2021 6:16 am 

I have 2 10" LPs

1 is Nat King cole "Unforgettable" is on it. (Not hifi,the original recordings of all those songs and to me they sound super)

Thr other is a SONGS OF INSPIRATION collection.......... That also sounds good!!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 18, 2021 8:46 pm 

I have a small collection of 10" records, some singles, but most LP. 10" records were plentiful back in the day.

This is Lena Horne - RCA LPT-3061 - A 60's rerelease of her 40's hits.

Thelonious Monk, Genius of modern music - Blue Note LP 5002 - A contemporary rerelease.

Tjader Plays Mambo - Fantasy 3-18 - An original 50's LP

The Dave Brubeck Octet, Distinctive rhythm instrumentals - Fantasy 3-3 - An original 50's LP

The Animals is Here - Abkco - A contemporary 45 RPM EP

Monty Kelly and his orchestra, Far away places - Essex ESLP-108 - An original 50's LP - love this record!

Cal Tjader trio - Fantasy 3-9 - A contemporary rerelease

What's Going On, Marvin Gaye - Motown - A contemporary release of MG remixes - Love this record!

Jimi Hendrix, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Legacy - A contemporary release that is, yes, a Christmas record!

...and a few less noteworthy others.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 19, 2021 2:25 am 

I forgot to mention I have the 10" "Holy Grail" of exotica records, "Voice Of The Xtabay" by Yma Sumac.
RW

PostPosted: Apr Mon 19, 2021 3:50 am 

radiowizard wrote:
I forgot to mention I have the 10" "Holy Grail" of exotica records, "Voice Of The Xtabay" by Yma Sumac.
RW

I have exactly ONE 78 RPM 'album' - and it's Voice of the Xtabay, by Yma Sumac. I also have it on 12" LP.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 28, 2021 3:27 am 

Hummm. Recognized the unusual name from Dad's record collection which I have had for over 40 years.
Has jacket notes about her extreme vocal range, on the 10 inch 33 album cover. From an Inca village of Ichocan in the high Andes of Peru.
I will play it for the first time.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 28, 2021 3:50 am 

davep44 wrote:
Hummm. Recognized the unusual name from Dad's record collection which I have had for over 40 years.
Has jacket notes about her extreme vocal range, on the 10 inch 33 album cover. From an Inca village of Ichocan in the high Andes of Peru.
I will play it for the first time.

Interestingly, the most popular song from that album isn't on the original 10" release. When it was released on the 12" LP they had room for an additional song, so included "Chuncho", undoubtedly the weirdest song on the album, and an unexpected classic.

Though the other songs are interesting, you won't want to miss this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KprLT-JxPY

PostPosted: Apr Wed 28, 2021 4:11 am 

"The Voice of Xtabay" a most unusual voice indeed. Strangely peasant recording.
Another 10 inch record is "Songs by Tom Lehrer" (available from Tom at the time early 1950's) with such entertaining songs as "The Old Dope Peddler", "Be Prepared" (a Boy Scouts song of a sort), " The Hunting Song" and "I hold Your Hand In Mine". Tom was a Harvard math teacher with a penchant for performing his own songs at the piano at parties, and eventually on a SNL type TV show "That Was The Week That Was" (TW3). The subsequent TW3 12 inch LP ends with the song "Vatican Rag" which I recall from that TV show.
Another 10 inch (Capitol) album is "Villa Lobos" (Brazilian classical composer) with the delightful "Little Train of the Ciapira" a musical trip over a mountain.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 28, 2021 1:04 pm 

Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons" is one of my favorites by him.
RW