Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 25, 2021 7:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Louis Armstrong
PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2021 5:14 am 

A couple of days ago, on the local French station evening jazz program, they were playing a lot of Louis Armstrong. Hmm. I checked Wikipedia, and sure enough, it was an anniversary. Louis Armstrong passed away 50 years ago (July 6, 1971). It's hard to believe that it was that long ago.

Post subject: Re: Louis Armstrong
PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2021 5:47 am 

He was a great musician, one of my top favorites. I would argue, that Jazz was greatly developed, by him. His voice and trumpet are absolutely amazing.

His funeral was enormous, and rightfully so.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
His honorary pallbearers included Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Pearl Bailey, Count Basie, Harry James, Frank Sinatra, Ed Sullivan, Earl Wilson, Alan King, Johnny Carson and David Frost.[129] Peggy Lee sang The Lord's Prayer at the services while Al Hibbler sang "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" and Fred Robbins, a long-time friend, gave the eulogy.[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWqGl2RJNQ

Rest in peace, Louis.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2021 1:28 pm 

Louis Armstrong was instrumental (no pun intended) in bringing jazz into the mainstream here in the US as well as much of the world.

He crossed some of the racial boundaries that separated the country at a time when much of the US was still very segregated.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 12, 2021 5:03 am 

While attending UCLA, one of the elective classes I enjoyed the most was the "History of Jazz," which was taught by Paul Tanner, who played the trombone in the Glenn Miller Orchestra. I took Paul's morning class, and found out that he would have his friends come and play at the afternoon class, saying that musicians didn't get up until after noon. Instead, Prof. Tanner would play records for our class and I remember him smiling when he put on "A Kiss to Build a Dream On," with Louis Armstrong singing and playing the trumpet.