Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 8:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best of 75 Net, Wayne Green Interview (73 Magazine)
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 2:49 am 

Back from the days when they did really fun things on ham radio.

I did read 73 a few times.

Wish I'd paid more attention.

Wayne Green was a flamboyant man who deliberately waded into the swamps of controversy.

Some of his theories struck me as absurd, but others sounded like a man of vision, especially his ideas for bringing applied science back to life in our schools.

The man had a childhood crush on radio, as I did, and it lasted a lifetime.

The thing that stands out in this interview for me is how much genuine fun this guy was having on the air. He had quite a sense of humor.

There is a lot of behind the scenes insider history in this clip.

https://youtu.be/UApbso_c7K4

Post subject: Re: Best of 75 Net, Wayne Green Interview (73 Magazine)
PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 9:15 pm 

Is this about when he started a CD magazine,back when they were new and the domain of hi fidelity?

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 3:03 am 

mblack wrote:
Is this about when he started a CD magazine,back when they were new and the domain of hi fidelity?

No, this is more a history of ham radio in the United States, from the 1930's to the 70's - 80's, from one who lived it.

An interesting segment is about an FCC proposal that would have made everyone have to retest, and worse.

Everyone started selling off their ham gear, the used equipment market was flooded, and several big name U.S. manufacturers went under.

The Japanese had a huge number of hams, their manufacturers did not go under, and after the scare passed, came in and took over the U.S. market.

This entire interview took place on a 75 meter phone patch.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 3:08 am 

mblack wrote:

Thank you, mblack, now I am going to have to research the information you provided.

Mr. Green was in fact noted for embracing new tech, and urging fellow hams to do the same.

If I am correct, he had a lot to do with the rise of FT8.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 12:56 pm 

Dalton wrote:
mblack wrote:

Thank you, mblack, now I am going to have to research the information you provided.

Mr. Green was in fact noted for embracing new tech, and urging fellow hams to do the same.

I think it was Mr. Green who also launched the Audio Amateur and Speaker Builder magazines, along with Old Colony Sound which provided kits and parts for the magazines' projects.

He was a recurring guest on the Coast to Coast AM radio shows with Art Bell and later George Noory.
Those shows were like a book you can't put down once you've started to read it, i.e. fascinating.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 3:34 pm 

COM-NAV-ECM wrote:
Dalton wrote:
mblack wrote:

I think it was Mr. Green who also launched the Audio Amateur and Speaker Builder magazines, along with Old Colony Sound which provided kits and parts for the magazines' projects.

He was a recurring guest on the Coast to Coast AM radio shows with Art Bell and later George Noory.
Those shows were like a book you can't put down once you've started to read it, i.e. fascinating.

Thanks!

I was a nightly Art Bell listener.

There will never be another.

I agree, once I started listening to Art, I knew I was going to be up till 5 a.m.! :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 12:21 am 

Originally, it was "Digital Audio Magazine", starting Sept 1984. It changed name ones or twice before it ended. The first issue, at least, is at archive.orh

The Audio Amateur began about 1972 and had nothing to with Wayne.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 4:30 am 

mblack wrote:
Originally, it was "Digital Audio Magazine", starting Sept 1984. It changed name ones or twice before it ended. The first issue, at least, is at archive.orh

The Audio Amateur began about 1972 and had nothing to with Wayne.

Thanks, mblack.

Listening to "World Cafe" music show on NPR public radio WQLN, in Erie Pa., Panasonic RF-1150, big full f.m. sound!

Attachments:
20211008_232645.jpg
20211008_232645.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 121 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sat 09, 2021 11:48 pm 

I chatted with him for a bit once at Dayton. Otherwise he was usually busy with a crowd bringing bouquets or brickbats so that you had to have to wait awhile. Despite some criticism indirectly that he got from ARRL and the role he played that was adversarial, they did mention his passing and were not unkind. Although they probably sighed with relief. He was hard selling colloidal silver as a remedy for what ails you towards the end. However I read the side effect was that taking it could make you turn blue! You can go back to when he was at CQ mag in the 50s and get the same flavor of writing. I liked the content of his magazines. Lately the QST mag for hams is a pale shadow of it's past glory and the only competitor is the unreliable CQ mag. There used to be 4 major ham mags. That is why I joined the Brits, their mag is better, IMO. With a much smaller membership to sell to.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2021 1:36 am 

wazz wrote:
I chatted with him for a bit once at Dayton. Otherwise he was usually busy with a crowd bringing bouquets or brickbats so that you had to have to wait awhile. Despite some criticism indirectly that he got from ARRL and the role he played that was adversarial, they did mention his passing and were not unkind. Although they probably sighed with relief. He was hard selling colloidal silver as a remedy for what ails you towards the end. However I read the side effect was that taking it could make you turn blue! You can go back to when he was at CQ mag in the 50s and get the same flavor of writing. I liked the content of his magazines. Lately the QST mag for hams is a pale shadow of it's past glory and the only competitor is the unreliable CQ mag. There used to be 4 major ham mags. That is why I joined the Brits, their mag is better, IMO. With a much smaller membership to sell to.

Thanks, wazz!

This interview gave a lot of info about the "glory days" of ham radio.