Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 5:04 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 4:31 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
Pure audio honey.

https://youtu.be/rYDtd8Yo_ng

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 5:14 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Sat 24, 2011 9:17 pm
Posts: 8549
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Here's the schematic, so we can follow the signal thru the amp. :D
https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/ ... _schem.pdf

In the lower left, there are 2 tube stages ahead and one after the reverb tank, to make up for losses in the springs.

Fender also made a stand alone reverb unit that could be pounded with drumsticks, recreating the crashing surf.
I believe you have a reverb tank in your new Philips radio. Give it a gentle thump to test. :D

_________________
Watch the doughnut, not the hole.
Burl Ives, RIP, oldtimer.
[:l>)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Jul Thu 29, 2021 9:06 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
westcoastjohn wrote:
Here's the schematic, so we can follow the signal thru the amp. :D
https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/ ... _schem.pdf

In the lower left, there are 2 tube stages ahead and one after the reverb tank, to make up for losses in the springs.

Fender also made a stand alone reverb unit that could be pounded with drumsticks, recreating the crashing surf.
I believe you have a reverb tank in your new Philips radio. Give it a gentle thump to test. :D


Will do!

And yes, it has one! :D

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 8:29 am 
Member

Joined: Mar Tue 27, 2012 1:24 pm
Posts: 1457
Classic surf tone.

I prefer Marshall tones, myself, though.....

Here's a 1968 Marshall Super Tremolo in action (no tremolo, though, obviously)... Cream and Eric Clapton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwmf58-GkG0

PS, I prefer this version of Sunshine Of Your Love to the hit. :D


Last edited by Renton481 on Aug Tue 03, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 12:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 6669
Location: Montvale NJ, 07645
I have a '91 reissue Vibroverb. These are great sounding amps. Stevie Ray Vaughn used a Vibroverb as his main source for overdriven tones in live performances, and also used one on David Bowie's album.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 3:43 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Sun 11, 2007 6:55 am
Posts: 12118
Location: Mission Viejo, southern California
He states that he changed the speaker(s)......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Tue 03, 2021 8:33 pm 
Member

Joined: Mar Tue 27, 2012 1:24 pm
Posts: 1457
I like some of the older 'blackface' Fender amp tones. Ron Wood used one (a Champ, actually -- very small amp) in the Faces w/ Rod Stewart. Billy Gibbons used a 1950's era Fender Deluxe on the first or second ZZ Top album, although live he used Marshalls. Heard a vintage guitar tone guy on YT play his Les Paul through an old Fender Bassman -- now there was some mean sounding tone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 3:43 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
Renton481 wrote:
Classic surf tone.

I prefer Marshall tones, myself, though.....

Here's a 1968 Marshall Super Tremolo in action (no tremolo, though, obviously)... Cream and Eric Clapton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwmf58-GkG0

PS, I prefer this version of Sunshine Of Your Love to the hit. :D

Thanks, that is the best version I've ever heard anywhere.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 3:45 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
Scott wrote:
I have a '91 reissue Vibroverb. These are great sounding amps. Stevie Ray Vaughn used a Vibroverb as his main source for overdriven tones in live performances, and also used one on David Bowie's album.


Yes, Stevie Ray was known for getting "brown" tones, iirc.

The reissues sound really great, listened to a couple, and they have some cool extras.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 3:46 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
FStephenMasek wrote:
He states that he changed the speaker(s)......

You are correct.

Personal preference, I guess.

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 3:51 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 3078
Location: Erie, Pa.
Renton481 wrote:
I like some of the older 'blackface' Fender amp tones. Ron Wood used one (a Champ, actually -- very small amp) in the Faces w/ Rod Stewart. Billy Gibbons used a 1950's era Fender Deluxe on the first or second ZZ Top album, although live he used Marshalls. Heard a vintage guitar tone guy on YT play his Les Paul through an old Fender Bassman -- now there was some mean sounding tone.


I hear ya



https://youtu.be/uP4CEPaiAzU

_________________
"Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antenna bristle with the energy"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: '63 Fender Strat and Vibroverb amp (not reissue) demo
PostPosted: Aug Wed 04, 2021 8:05 am 
Member

Joined: Mar Tue 27, 2012 1:24 pm
Posts: 1457
Dalton wrote:
Renton481 wrote:
I like some of the older 'blackface' Fender amp tones. Ron Wood used one (a Champ, actually -- very small amp) in the Faces w/ Rod Stewart. Billy Gibbons used a 1950's era Fender Deluxe on the first or second ZZ Top album, although live he used Marshalls. Heard a vintage guitar tone guy on YT play his Les Paul through an old Fender Bassman -- now there was some mean sounding tone.


I hear ya



https://youtu.be/uP4CEPaiAzU


Amazing tone from that 15 or 20 watt watt, one speaker amp. Loud enough on stage, too. Back at that time, Rod Stewart & the Faces ruled.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




































Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB