Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 30, 2022 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl To Become The Dominant Physical Format This Year!
PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2021 12:35 am 

Last night I watched the Linda Ronstadt special that had been on Canada's TVO (I had PVR'd it recently)... outstanding, what a singer! So sad she is now unwell. In 2013, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and can no longer sing. Then I played my only Linda Ronstadt vinyl record..."Living in the USA". Great sound! ... 15 wpc stereo tube amps pounding into vintage speakers...
Now looking for more Ronstadt vinyl...
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2021 12:36 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Taylors-Version-4-LP/dp/B09J99PKDF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Q790XI5PEF2C&keywords=red+taylor%27s+version+vinyl&qid=1638809278&sprefix=red+taylor%27s+version+vinyl%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-1

Wow! What a backlog! 1-2 months before delivery, and it's just before Christmas no less!

"Red Taylor's Version Explicit Lyrics"

Redd Foxx might be more fun.

Attachment:
redd.jpg
redd.jpg [ 34.01 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Tue 07, 2021 3:02 am 

Ken Doyle wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Taylors-Version-4-LP/dp/B09J99PKDF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Q790XI5PEF2C&keywords=red+taylor%27s+version+vinyl&qid=1638809278&sprefix=red+taylor%27s+version+vinyl%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-1

Wow! What a backlog! 1-2 months before delivery, and it's just before Christmas no less!

"Red Taylor's Version Explicit Lyrics"

Redd Foxx might be more fun.

Attachment:
redd.jpg

Yes, explicit lyrics, and definitely not for the little ones to hear.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 11, 2021 10:55 pm 

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-b ... 235007504/

JUST IN: Vinyl LP sales skyrocket during Black Friday holiday shopping with Adele and Taylor leading the pack.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 8:27 am 

Can anyone here provide indisputable factual evidence proving that Taylor's Swift "analog" records are fully analog and remains strictly in the analog domain through the whole audio production chain, from the (analog) console input to the final (fully analog) mastering console, tape recorder and disc cutting equipment ? No digital/computer processing/editing used anywhere in the studio during the recordings ? No ProTools or similar computer-based workstation ? Are you really sure ? Using an analog tape recorder at the final mixdown/mastering stage (the most common practice) doesn't make it an "analog" recording, it only adds some coloration (aka "tape compression") and distorsion ("tape saturation") to a digitally recorded/processed material. And once you're leaving the analog domain at any stage during the recording/mixing/mastering process, going through A/D D/A converters it can no longer be called an "analog" recording and you will irretrievably lose all the (supposed) qualities of the analog recording and no vinyl disc playback will be able to restore this.
You're just adding the defects of both systems... plus the numerous defects of a mechanical playback system (most commonly know as "vinyl").

And for the "all analog vinyl" purists there are other bad news: from about 1979 and on a digital (yes, DIGITAL) "preview" delay was inserted between the analog master tape and the disc cutting lathe equipment (ever heard about the AMPEX ADD-1 ?) actually making it a digital recording. Early DDL's performances were rather poor compared to today's digital equipment and some converters had only 14 bits resolution. This simply means that any vinyl record produced from 1979 or later could have been cut with a digitized audio signal and can no longer be considered as a true analog recording (actually it could be called an ADA recording). Knowing this you can now start throwing a good part of your (post-1978) vinyl collection in the trash. And yes, digital cutting preview delays are still used today in modern disc cutting lathes.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 2:32 pm 

Tubologic wrote:
Can anyone here provide indisputable factual evidence proving that Taylor's Swift "analog" records are fully analog and remains strictly in the analog domain through the whole audio production chain, from the (analog) console input to the final (fully analog) mastering console, tape recorder and disc cutting equipment ? No digital/computer processing/editing used anywhere in the studio during the recordings ? No ProTools or similar computer-based workstation ? Are you really sure ? Using an analog tape recorder at the final mixdown/mastering stage (the most common practice) doesn't make it an "analog" recording, it only adds some coloration (aka "tape compression") and distorsion ("tape saturation") to a digitally recorded/processed material. And once you're leaving the analog domain at any stage during the recording/mixing/mastering process, going through A/D D/A converters it can no longer be called an "analog" recording and you will irretrievably lose all the (supposed) qualities of the analog recording and no vinyl disc playback will be able to restore this.
You're just adding the defects of both systems... plus the numerous defects of a mechanical playback system (most commonly know as "vinyl").

And for the "all analog vinyl" purists there are other bad news: from about 1979 and on a digital (yes, DIGITAL) "preview" delay was inserted between the analog master tape and the disc cutting lathe equipment (ever heard about the AMPEX ADD-1 ?) actually making it a digital recording. Early DDL's performances were rather poor compared to today's digital equipment and some converters had only 14 bits resolution. This simply means that any vinyl record produced from 1979 or later could have been cut with a digitized audio signal and can no longer be considered as a true analog recording (actually it could be called an ADA recording). Knowing this you can now start throwing a good part of your (post-1978) vinyl collection in the trash. And yes, digital cutting preview delays are still used today in modern disc cutting lathes.

From what I could tell thus far, Taylor Swift's first three vinyl albums ('Taylor Swift', 'Fearless' and 'Speak Now') were all recorded through straight analog tapes. In fact, analog masters of her first three albums still exist.

Actually, it was no secret that Taylor Swift was an ardent fan of vinyl (she grew up with them, and was quite fond of the format).

An interesting note: Taylor's newest vinyl album: 'Red Taylor's Version' is played at 45 RPM.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 3:40 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Blustar1 wrote:
An interesting note: Taylor's newest vinyl album: 'Red Taylor's Version' is played at 45 RPM.

I am not a Taylor Swift fan, nor do I dislike her music ... it's just mostly not my style, but upon reading this ^^^ I did some further web reading about her. She seems to be a very smart business person with a good understanding of how to secure her artist's rights in an industry that seems to have an appetite for eating it's young.

On a technical note .... how does she get 30 tracks onto a 45rpm LP? I couldn't find it anywhere, but I assume it's a two disc set?

cheers

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 3:47 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:

I am not a Taylor Swift fan, nor do I dislike her music ... it's just mostly not my style, but upon reading this ^^^ I did some further web reading about her. She seems to be a very smart business person with a good understanding of how to secure her artist's rights in an industry that seems to have an appetite for eating it's young.

On a technical note .... how does she get 30 tracks onto a 45rpm LP? I couldn't find it anywhere, but I assume it's a two disc set?

cheers

The 'Red Taylor's Version' vinyl album is actually a four disc set that is played at 45 RPM whereas the 'Fearless Taylor's Version' vinyl album is a three disc set that is played at 33 RPM.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 3:52 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Blustar1 wrote:
The 'Red Taylor's Version' vinyl album is actually a four disc set that is played at 45 RPM whereas the 'Fearless Taylor's Version' is a three disc set that is played at 33 RPM.

Thank you. I tried to find that on the web and failed.

cheers

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 3:56 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
The 'Red Taylor's Version' vinyl album is actually a four disc set that is played at 45 RPM whereas the 'Fearless Taylor's Version' is a three disc set that is played at 33 RPM.

Thank you. I tried to find that on the web and failed.

cheers

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Taylors-Vers ... 363&sr=8-1

It's right on the Amazon site; just scroll down to "Product Details".

As far as I know, Taylor Swift's latest two vinyl albums (Red Taylor's Version & Fearless Taylor's Version) are the only two vinyl editions of hers which contain more than two discs. The Red Taylor's Version vinyl edition is a departure from her other vinyl albums as it's strictly played at 45 RPM.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 4:12 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YV2RYY?ps ... yp_imgToDp

I just had to pre-order two of the 'Fearless Taylor's Version' gold vinyl editions from Amazon a couple of minutes ago (even though I might have to wait months before they finally arrive). Actually, I have two of the 'Fearless Taylor's Version' red vinyl editions, but not the gold ones.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 4:45 pm 

Ihave the Ace of Cups first album (from the sixties, they never had an album until a few years ago,, so this is a collection of bits and pieces) and a Charlatans album (also a more recent release of old material) on the way. Wait, better specify, both are CDs

I bought a Rascals CD collection a month ago.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 18, 2021 7:38 pm 

https://thehustle.co/the-insane-resurge ... l-records/

Here's still another interesting article about the vinyl record resurgence.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 19, 2021 3:28 pm 

mblack wrote:
Ihave the Ace of Cups first album (from the sixties, they never had an album until a few years ago,, so this is a collection of bits and pieces) and a Charlatans album (also a more recent release of old material) on the way. Wait, better specify, both are CDs

I bought a Rascals CD collection a month ago.

Actually, both of the Ace of Cups' released albums (November 2018 & October 2020) were also vinyl editions via High Moon Records. In hindsight, perhaps the band should have accepted the record companies' original offers during the late sixties. As it stood, they had little chance to be a commercial success at the time.

https://www.target.com/p/ace-of-cups-si ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1396 ... 2ZEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 6:58 pm 

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/us-vin ... year-high/

JUST IN!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 19, 2022 2:07 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
https://themusicnetwork.com/vinyl-sales-2021/

........and Taylor Swift's 'Evermore' two disc vinyl edition is leading the way!

Good, but CASSETTES! :D

Just kidding, nothing touches vinyl.

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2022 12:29 am 

As mentioned previously in this post, "cassettes" are experiencing a small resurgence as well.
I'm planning when I record and master my next "album" of original music, to have "cassettes" as my physical medium to sell at performances
as CD's haven't sold at all in the last ten years. It's a little less cost to reproduce say 300 cassettes than CD's anyway and "vinyl" is completely unaffordable
for the independent artist to produce today, considering there's such a small market segment without corporate welfare involved.

PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2022 2:00 am 

I thought we'd decided to let this thread die.

The CDs keep piling up. For about $30 I got the first five Byrds albums in a set. I have some of the later ones on CD, so then getting Untitled, which now comes with a second CD, gets me all the Byrds I need on CD.

I finally got Wendy Waldman's first album on CD. About 1979 I got it as a clearance. 'd read about her in Rolling Stone, but never heard her (I still don't think I have) on the radio. I found I could listen to the whole thing without skipping tracks. Under ten dollars, and it included her next two albums on CD.

Two years ago I got It's a Beautiful Day, actually it came with their second album. It is lacking the George Hunter cover, legal problems still out there.

I got some Judy Collins CDs.

All of these replace existing vinyl albums. It's so handy to have CDs.

And I finally bought a Partridge Family collection. Trivial, but at least it has the two songs from the first episode, which hadn't been relea sed befor.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7