Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 09, 2021 4:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl To Become The Dominant Physical Format This Year!
PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 11:33 pm 

fifties wrote:
What arguments are you trying to win? You've gone all over the map in your promotion of vinyl.

I think we can all agree that;

Vinyl is gaining a larger share of a shrinking market for physical examples of music.

There are specific recordings that have not yet, or maybe ever will be, available on CD.

The contest as to which reproduction of music is "better" is totally subjective, although digital in either disc or streaming format, has the clear advantage, if for no other reason than ease of use and availability.

Agreed. Even though I prefer digital, I still enjoy records for what they are, flaws and all.

Last edited by master_of_none on Oct Sat 02, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 11:34 pm 

If her studio recordings were made on analog tape, you should be able to hear some tape hiss at the beginning and end of each song. Unlike digital, analog tape has a noise floor, along with a dynamic range limit. That doesn't mean it can't sound great, but it's a product of it's limitations.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 04, 2021 10:07 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
You were the one who made a blank statement about most modern records being made from digital masters.

master_of_none wrote:
Key word most. And it happens to be true.
Are you done trying to win this argument, or are you going to keep grasping at straws? :wink:

Blustar1 wrote:
Actually, I thought that I had won the argument hands down.

Well, you thought WRONG.

Must be the same type of thinking that a certain Jaguar will outrun a Corvette, a police helicopter, etc. 8)

Well, I never had the opportunity to stay ahead of a Corvette (or a Camaro for that matter) as I hardly ever see them on the road. When on some rare occasion that I do see a Corvette on the expressway, it's always a dealer driven vehicle. It seems that both models are quite unpopular in this part of Michigan, and it's no small wonder. A black Cadillac did pull ahead of me back in early May, but the driver forced his way onto the left lane (the lane that I was driving on) just two pickup trucks ahead of me among medium traffic, and was weaving back and forth between lanes in an effort to lose me. I'm still smarting from that episode which occurred on my way back from Indiana after purchasing some fireworks. Another black car tried that same feat on my way to Indiana during that same trip, but the driver of that vehicle didn't fare very well at all. Never underestimate what a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L can do as that vehicle was specifically engineered for high speed endurance.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2021 1:17 am 

Attachment:
flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg
flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg [ 48.79 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Tue 05, 2021 3:08 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
You were the one who made a blank statement about most modern records being made from digital masters.

master_of_none wrote:
Key word most. And it happens to be true.
Are you done trying to win this argument, or are you going to keep grasping at straws? :wink:

Blustar1 wrote:
Actually, I thought that I had won the argument hands down.

Well, you thought WRONG.

Must be the same type of thinking that a certain Jaguar will outrun a Corvette, a police helicopter, etc. 8)

Well, I never had the opportunity to stay ahead of a Corvette (or a Camaro for that matter) as I hardly ever see them on the road. When on some rare occasion that I do see a Corvette on the expressway, it's always a dealer driven vehicle. It seems that both models are quite unpopular in this part of Michigan, and it's no small wonder. A black Cadillac did pull ahead of me back in early May, but the driver forced his way onto the left lane (the lane that I was driving on) just two pickup trucks ahead of me among medium traffic, and was weaving back and forth between lanes in an effort to lose me. I'm still smarting from that episode which occurred on my way back from Indiana after purchasing some fireworks. Another black car tried that same feat on my way to Indiana during that same trip, but the driver of that vehicle didn't fare very well at all. Never underestimate what a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L can do as that vehicle was specifically engineered for high speed endurance.

The only thing I have underestimated is how full of crap someone can be. :wink:

Everyone here has heard your tall tales about "racing" people with your POS Jaguar. :roll: Nobody believed them then, and nobody is going to believe them now, so stop wasting your time typing.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 3:35 am 

Interesting comments. I have played many old records and used software from Diamondcut Productions (https://www.diamondcut.com/st3/) to clean up the music. If interested, I have a podcast where you can hear some of the Edison diamond disc records along with some history : https://www.buzzsprout.com/1449838/

Marc

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 5:37 am 

Cassettes are coming back a bit too from what I understand... All of a sudden you can find new cassette decks for sale but they are of the cheapest sort. Reminds me I had a little computer that used a cassette drive for memory!:)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 08, 2021 5:44 am 

Next thing you know, 8 tracks will be coming back. :?

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2021 3:59 am 

Kids like novelty.

I actually did buy cassettes in the 11 years between 1986 when I bought my last LP, Phil Ochs "A Toast to those who are Gone", and 1997 when I got a CD player. Not a goidbperood, it's good I wasn't buying many albums. Even with a tape deck that would reverse and fast forward and play when a gap was found, too.much fussing to get the songs you want.

But when cassettes were fifty cents at book and garage sales, I was buying them up, nothing special but a wider variety than I might otherwise buy. The plan was to digitize them, but I never got there. I got rid of most of them two years ago. I was getting used CDs at fifty cents by then.

I have never had an 8 track tape. About fifteen years ago I saw an 8 track recorder, ten dollars, at a garage sale. Kind of tempting, knowing that few recorders were sold. But I left it, as well as the big reel to reel next to it for a bit more, realizing that the time of its real use was in the past.

I did buy a few minidisc recorders for five dollars each a few years ago, thiugh I may not have a blank disc.

I still have my first issue mp3 player, bought late, all of 512K of memory.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 10, 2021 4:41 am 

I had a very nice JVC 8 track recorder, a couple other decks, and probably 100-150 tapes. I wanted to digitize a few of the more obscure tapes. Between the frustration of refurbishing the tapes, finding that the plastic head mount was broken in one machine, which would have been a huge pain to try to repair, I gave up. I tossed the broken machine in the trash and took everything else 8 track related and dumped it off at Goodwill. Good riddance.

Similar goes for reel to reel. Before digital storage became cheap, I picked up several machines, and found a large lot of probably between 500 and 1000 tapes for cheap at the flea market. I fooled with them a little bit, and all the machines were fiddly and needed service. Plus, some of the tapes had issues like shedding and breaking. Once I discovered digital recording was easier, cheaper, and better, I finally sold off what I could and gave the rest away.

I still have several nice cassette decks and a decent number of tapes, but rarely use them. I still pick tapes up when they are cheap and something interesting, though. They aren't nearly as much of a pain in the butt as 8 tracks or R2R, or I would probably give up on them too.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 11, 2021 9:32 pm 

https://globalnews.ca/news/8244691/viny ... ice-shock/

This article was released yesterday.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 1:39 am 

People are absolutely nuckin' futz to pay those kind of prices for records. :shock: I definitely won't be joining them.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 2:50 am 

master_of_none wrote:
People are absolutely nuckin' futz to pay those kind of prices for records. :shock: I definitely won't be joining them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194431039222?h ... Sw~BxhNHwM

If you thought that was bad, try this one.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 6:41 am 

Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Geez, what's your deal with Taylor Swift? I couldn't give a rat's ass about her or what her records go for. :roll: Besides, that's just a BIN price, not a sold listing. And, there are records out there that have sold for far more than that. It's still nuts.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 1:06 pm 

This one might be more fun:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353570255083?h ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 3:57 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Blustar1 wrote:
master_of_none wrote:

Geez, what's your deal with Taylor Swift? I couldn't give a rat's ass about her or what her records go for. :roll: Besides, that's just a BIN price, not a sold listing. And, there are records out there that have sold for far more than that. It's still nuts.

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 4:13 pm 

Ken Doyle wrote:

The record was apparently manufactured in the early twenties, and was reportedly in excellent condition. Still, I might find it hard to believe that something of that vintage, and by a very famous recording artist no less, would have actually survived in such a pristine condition considering the ancient record players back then. Notice that the seller refused to accept returns, and that should tell you something.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 7:35 pm 

Here are some records (and CDs) that sold for some real big bucks:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Most-expe ... 021/851977

I've seen some sell for even more on there, too. :o

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 8:00 pm 

master_of_none wrote:
Here are some records (and CDs) that sold for some real big bucks:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Most-expe ... 021/851977

I've seen some sell for even more on there, too. :o

Wow! That was pricey! Whose was it? Prince Phillip's? A few years ago, I purchased a Beverly Washburn 'The Heart That Breaks Will Be Your Own' 45 RPM record on Discogs, and it cost me some $85.00 at the time. You see, the record was a promo issue, and a relatively rare one at that.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 12, 2021 9:08 pm 

Louis Armstrong is worth paying for, and of course that early a release woukd be hard to find now.

But I doubt the buyer is buying "for that vinyl sound". It's a collectible item.

I'd never heard of "Haymarket Square", at least not a band, but wikipedia says "80-100" copies were made, and over fifty years later, that has to be rare.

the most I ever paid for a record was fifteen dollars in 1980, It's a Beautiful Day's first album. But it was imported, hence the higher price. I got it on CD last year, complete with their second album, for $20 new.

I did get a used Louis Armstrong boxed set, the one from RCA, I think for a dollar. Not more than five.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next