Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 11:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Glen Campbell "Witchita Lineman" 1969 video
PostPosted: Oct Wed 27, 2021 3:16 am 

Https://youtu.be/kIYvHdEwEOw

Post subject: Re: Glen Campbell "Witchita Lineman" 1969 video
PostPosted: Oct Wed 27, 2021 6:49 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
Https://youtu.be/kIYvHdEwEOw

Hey ZR,

Thanks for posting this!

This song is easily my all-time fave. First time I ever heard this song is when Glen Campbell played it on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour sometime in late fall 1968. Beautiful, beautiful song! They also played it regularly from late fall '68 into early Jan '69 on the pop station I listened to back then, WING 1410 AM out of Dayton, Ohio.

Wichita Lineman is one of those rare gems that never gets old. Bob Dylan described it as "The greatest song ever written." It's not hard to see why. The amazing thing is, Jimmy Webb wasn't finished with it. Webb sent Campbell a draft of what he had so far. Campbell liked it just the way it was and recorded it - and the rest is history.

Thanks again. A lovely tune indeed!

Warning: May contain traces of nut.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 04, 2021 5:09 pm 

Right, I like that song for the Fender Bass VI (6) guitar breaks, played by Glen. "Galveston" is the other Glen tune with that unique bass sound, a whole octave lower than a standard guitar.
This video cuts the end of the song off, rats.

For the Smothers Bros show, he would have played his new top-of-the-line Ovation acoustic/electric, fiberglass body with a Spruce top and strange sound holes. Correction: on the video he's playing a Fender Bass 6.
Glen was a masterful musician in the studio and can be heard on dozens of Top 40 tunes.

Last edited by westcoastjohn on Nov Fri 05, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 04, 2021 6:18 pm 

Supposedly it's the most played song ever on the radio. I love "Galveston " too. That bass is awesome!

PostPosted: Nov Thu 04, 2021 9:55 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
Supposedly it's the most played song ever on the radio. I love "Galveston " too. That bass is awesome!

Yes indeed!

I still have his Wichita Lineman LP that I bought in 1971.
Attachment:
20211104_153708.jpg
20211104_153708.jpg [ 700.03 KiB | Viewed 322 times ]

Warning: May contain traces of nut.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 04, 2021 10:14 pm 

OldRelic wrote:
Zenith Royal wrote:

Yes indeed!

I still have his Wichita Lineman LP that I bought in 1971.
Attachment:
20211104_153708.jpg

The album cover looks great, even on this phone! "You better sit down kids" must have been the original version. Then Cher's version was next I guess?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 05, 2021 12:08 am 

The bass on Witchita Lineman, along with coming up with the wonderful 5 note bass intro which is missing from the video above, was done by the great session player Carol Kaye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

PostPosted: Nov Fri 05, 2021 1:14 am 

That's probably true, Ken. The version I recall was that Glen borrowed Carole's bass to pick out a part of the song, and that could also be true, but not necessarily what was recorded.
In fact the actual guitar might have been the Danelectro owned and picked by Carole Kaye. :D

It would be interesting to compare tunes recorded with both of them in the studio as members of the Wrecking Crew.

One thing about posting pure speculation as pure fact is that it generates a quick response. :D

The year was 2000, Glen on guitar and Jimmy Webb on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy4N3gmkpWw&t=296s

Edit: I went searching for the rumor and found these conflicting posts, he did this he did that.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/glen-c ... x.1264385/

Carole Kaye is listed as bass player on the recording accordion (sp) to Wiki.

Glen could certainly play the bass part on a Fender Bass VI. Here's the video of that. Are the music tracks dubbed or live on this TV videotape? I hear him playing the guitar part, but with everything digitized and my deaf ears can't hear the way I used to.
Closeup of the bass strings at around 1 min 50 secs.
Of course this is is not the version that got airplay, that was a 45. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU

PostPosted: Nov Thu 11, 2021 9:51 pm 

Nov 11, listening to Jimmy Webb's memorable lyrics so afraid of dying, I clean my gun and dream of 'Galveston' .
Hearing the CBC coverage of the ceremonies on four radios in tune, in keeping with requests for people not to gather in person.

Then had to hear the bass riffs of "Wichita Lineman" again.

The following is not based on anything but speculation:
I've come to the conclusion that Glen Campbell may have played the guitar solo on the recording, a Fender Bass 6 with a lot of Fender reverb. Carole Kaye plays the nifty bass riffs, that's possibly the Danelectro she is said to have played in the studio.
Certainly there is a different tone in the solo, more treble and lots of reverb, then switching quickly back to the bass riff that would be Carole in the lead-up to Glen's ending vocal. Pure speculation.
There is a string bass possibly from a synthesizer dubbed over Carol's bass guitar, or it could be just my ears are ringing again and making things up.

On that note, Roger Miller wasn't there, but he wasn't far away, "Walking in the Sunshine."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POvLUaRIa0

Glen plays half the solo in a higher octave in this very good live Wichita performance. He shares that solo with a lead 6-string bass player. There's a 4-string Danelectro Longhorn bass being played behind Glen's left side. Two basses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlbDCfMJKt0

A later "'Wichita" video features his daughter on keyboards, a 6-string bass lead solo by one of his sons, and this time the 4-string bass is a Fender.

Is there any mention of Glen playing 6 string bass in the original album liner notes?