Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 07, 2022 9:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greedy TV collectors shut out newcomers!
PostPosted: Feb Wed 16, 2022 4:27 pm 

Thanks for the great advice, Guys!

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 8:56 am 

I've collected some old TVs, Victrolas and pinball machines but I've tried to keep the numbers to where they are in the house and working. It's when I started disassembling and storing pinball machines that I'd restored out in the garage that I knew I was starting to get ridiculous and sold all three games. But I do still have two fixed-up TVs out there. And and two extra Victrolas but they are both in somebody else's house. :)

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 3:31 pm 

Our hobby is evolving. As it becomes more refined it closes out many would be collectors
I believe the cost of shipping is the biggest detriment to our hobby.
Also, when tech v companies close and move out of an area we lose a lot of hobbiests and people interested in restoring electronics.
In my area we had the flood of ‘72. I think natural disasters Whiped out attics, garages and basements of many antique collectors. With all the recent Forrest fires and floods I’m surprised anything is left.

I too.am looking for small (7” or less crt TV’s. I would like to find something repairable. I don’t wish to get one that’s been restored, my enjoyment is making it work!

It’s mind boggling that some people just collect zenith, or Philco, etc. , With the hours and materials it takes to restore , no wonder the cost of finished radios are so high.

Yesterday I attended Kutztown. I enjoyed just looking at the many set on display.
I get a little annoyed that many sets didn’t have price tags on them, but I figured maybe the owners were there just to display, which is great. I hope that was the case; I would love to buy some, and also I like to get a ball park of what these go for.

With no price label attached, I figure it’s not for sale, or the owner is trying to get maximum dollar by negotiating. Some will say negotiating is 1/2 the fun. I just walk away, I don’t like negotiating…especially without a set starting point….too much stress.

Another issue of our times is the price of gas. Travel adds to the cost of finding old relic tv and radio’s. I like hamfests and flea markets but our times are making it costly. I think you just have to take in the total experience:buying and selling, negotiating, finding and repairing, the hunt/travel,and of course the bragging rights.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 3:52 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:

Yesterday I attended Kutztown. I enjoyed just looking at the many set on display.
I get a little annoyed that many sets didn’t have price tags on them, but I figured maybe the owners were there just to display, which is great. I hope that was the case; I would love to buy some, and also I like to get a ball park of what these go for.

With no price label attached, I figure it’s not for sale, or the owner is trying to get maximum dollar by negotiating. Some will say negotiating is 1/2 the fun. I just walk away, I don’t like negotiating…especially without a set starting point….too much stress.

Another issue of our times is the price of gas. Travel adds to the cost of finding old relic tv and radio’s. I like hamfests and flea markets but our times are making it costly. I think you just have to take in the total experience:buying and selling, negotiating, finding and repairing, the hunt/travel,and of course the bragging rights.

Since you were there why didn't you talk to more people with tables? It isn't going to cost you anything to ask.
I think some of your assumptions are wrong. No marked price does not mean it isn't for sale.
Some people just don't bother to put a set price on the items. Naturally the owner wants to get a reasonable price, but that doesn't mean his price is high or unmovable.
You will find that some friendly conversation goes far.

PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 7:45 pm 

I see nothing wrong with haggling. If someone wants a fair price for something marketable that I'm only interested in for insultingly cheap I may not haggel when told the price to be polite to the seller but if something is overpriced, I'm close enough to negotiate or I think I could save a bit by asking for $10 less I've got no problem haggling. Heck, I typically don't take offense to stupid low offers (unlike some sellers) and will do the same to the things those buyers sell (if you want it for half price from me then I should be able to ask for it for half price from you).

I've also found that often an unpriced item is that way because the owner thinks it's worth too little to bother paying for a price sticker.

Even Monty Python knows it's odd not to haggle. :lol:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 12:57 am 

To me the funny thing about this hobby is how sets I am not particularly looking for drop in my lap for next to nothing. My RCA CTC11 and Zenith 24NC31 color tv's were free. My late 40's RCA sets (which in my opinion are better designed and built than the 7" offerings) were no more than $50: 630TS $17, 721TS $45, 8T243 free and my favorite 8TC271 for $40. My greatest recent good fortune was the RCA CT-100 which was advertised for only $10.

If I were to offer advice, don't look for TVs. They will find you.

PS one exception was the RCA CTC5 deluxe set I bought 9 years ago. It was not working for many years but nearly original mint condition. Well cared for with all original tubes. It was also had a modified power supply for Canadian 25Hz power. Most I have spent on an old tv:it was $120.

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 6:18 am 

fifties wrote:
I have over 300 radio's, and I don't answer to no one.

Well said.

I don't own that many radio's but I do own a little over 200 multi-meters (VTVM's mainly). Does that make me greedy or just someone who likes multi-meters?

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 10:48 am 

Kinda like nobody’s business, really. Whatever…

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 2:56 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:

If the sets are out, chances are 99.999% of the time they are for sale. One of my pet peeves is that sellers are too lazy to put prices on things. They do themselves a disservice. Even with a price tag, they are often very well open to negotiation, so I think it is just laziness.

I drove 122 miles each way. Left with a topped off tank and refilled when I got home. Cost me $75.02 :cry:

PostPosted: May Sun 15, 2022 4:40 pm 

I've collected seven 7" 1940's TVs (one 3") over the past year and have paid, on average, less than $100 each.

You have to become very good at knowing how to search for them to find them. Just today I saw where I could potentially acquire a half dozen more. All of these have been within driving distance of my home (often may hours drive).

The world has shifted and there are not as many radio clubs out there anymore... so I look elsewhere. I have found zero difficulty finding 7" sets for as low as $50, but they're not going to knock on your door. I had to get really good at knowing where to look and what groups to associate with.

I have not seen the greed you mention... sure people will have their asking price based on ebay. But let the TV sit there for 3-4 weeks and then the seller usually realizes that their price is too high and might be open to a lower offer.

Specialized Facebook groups are a good place to start.

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2022 3:18 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
Y2KEDDIE wrote:

Since you were there why didn't you talk to more people with tables? It isn't going to cost you anything to ask.
I think some of your assumptions are wrong. No marked price does not mean it isn't for sale.
Some people just don't bother to put a set price on the items. Naturally the owner wants to get a reasonable price, but that doesn't mean his price is high or unmovable.
You will find that some friendly conversation goes far.

I did chat quite a bit….probably should have more. All in all I enjoyed myself, glad I went.I gone to many hamfests and it seems the norm that half the sellers don’t price their items. Probably just lazy, but I see that as “they don’t care to sell it or not”. Not a good place to start negotiating. I’m sure many will argue or are just to stubborn or lazy to mark a starting price. I drove 3 _12 hours to get there, I prepared to buy.

PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 11:59 pm 

Y2KEDDIE wrote:
gone to many hamfests and it seems the norm that half the sellers don’t price their items.

I have had tables/spaces at electronics flea markets a number of times, and I have never even though to go get a roll of price stickers or sticky notes and put one on every item. Nor do I see many (if any) other sellers doing so, either. Maybe it is a form of being lazy; I suppose it might encourage some buyers to "just buy" something rather than have to ask about it first if we put tags on everything.

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 12:51 am 

Having prices in a courtesy that allows the buyer to see if the item is in the range of what he/she would pay for it. Too many times I asked a price only to hear an amount that was ridiculous and it was a waste of my time. Plenty of sellers out there think they have gold and I see them packing their items back up and taking them home.

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 2:35 am 

Hello Scott,
Agreed I see it all the time! worst ones are these so-called antique shops .
Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 8:10 pm 

This reminds me that a friend of mine purposely doesn't price his items. He finds that when he does nobody buys anything and when he doesn't and let's the buyer make an offer he makes more sales (either by taking their offer of negotiating a middle ground between what he wants to get and what they want to pay.).

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 8:01 pm 

It seems to me that prices for what we call antique stuff are dropping fast. Younger people don't want it, don't know how to restore it, Once you finish the restoration there is no analog TV on the air. so you need a converter.

Certain components are getting scarce like CRT,s.

Once you are all done and ready to tune something in, there s nothing to watch.

Jim

PostPosted: May Sun 22, 2022 2:14 am 

That's nothing new. CRTs have been scarce for decades and analog transmissions stopped almost 15 years ago. It's trivial to setup an RF modulator or home transmitter.
Nothing to listen to on the AM band either, but the hobby seems pretty healthy.

I think at least one big factor is information sharing on the Internet. Some models that were formerly high value like the RCA 621TS have dropped because so many more have turned up.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 57 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3