Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 02, 2022 2:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: RCA 621TS - Final Assembly
PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 2:50 pm 

Wow, check out that Charlie Brown Christmas tree!

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 4:50 pm 

51Zenith wrote:
Wow, check out that Charlie Brown Christmas tree!

Notice too how this "toasted mahogany" set has unpainted knobs. I had assumed for years that they all left the factory with the beige painted knobs.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 4:55 pm 

Metal tinsel conveniently located firmly against the electrical outlet? Hope everyone got out alive.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2015 10:14 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
radiorich wrote:
Hello Lee,
know what you need to find is couple those RCA tv stands a pair of matching ones :D
I was lucky some years ago Tom told me about A rca 8t241 wiyh a matching stand for sale and I snagged it .

my dream is a RCa 621 some day :D but for now 8t241 is not bad set these sets sure are heavy a lot of iron and lead and real steel not that junk nowdays

I'm almost sure RCA didn't make a stand for the 621TS or the 721TS. It's tough to find even a generic vintage TV table with the proper foot-print of the set. Period pics usually show these models placed on any available table in the home:

Actually, John Folsom has a 721TS with it's original factory stand.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 1:31 am 

Bill Cahill wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
radiorich wrote:
Hello Lee,
know what you need to find is couple those RCA tv stands a pair of matching ones :D
I was lucky some years ago Tom told me about A rca 8t241 wiyh a matching stand for sale and I snagged it .

my dream is a RCa 621 some day :D but for now 8t241 is not bad set these sets sure are heavy a lot of iron and lead and real steel not that junk nowdays

I'm almost sure RCA didn't make a stand for the 621TS or the 721TS. It's tough to find even a generic vintage TV table with the proper foot-print of the set. Period pics usually show these models placed on any available table in the home:

Actually, John Folsom has a 721TS with it's original factory stand.

I would have to see the RCA Victor tag on it to believe it because it would've been used in sales literature/advertising photos, like the 630TS, which it is not. It's hard to believe that not one other example has surfaced in all these years. It could possibly be an aftermarket TV table that just fits it well.
I've heard of many rare items over the years that collectors report possessing, but strangely will never produce a photo for one reason or another (including a collector that supposedly found a blonde 621 with a factory blonde stand at an estate sale :roll: ). I have no choice but to just discount them.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 1:54 pm 

He showed me the tag years ago.
If you choose not to believe me, fine. I've seen it.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 2:46 pm 

Bill Cahill wrote:
He showed me the tag years ago.
If you choose not to believe me, fine. I've seen it.

If you saw the tag then I believe it. It would be great if the owner would share a photo of it for other collectors on the Forum to see.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 3:19 pm 

Next time I talk to him I'll ask him. He's out of town at the moment.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2015 11:22 pm 

WeekendHacker wrote:
Metal tinsel conveniently located firmly against the electrical outlet? Hope everyone got out alive.

LOL. So, that's how "toasted mahogany" came to pass.

Foom! 8)

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2022 12:34 am 

I should probably start a new thread in the Cabinet Restoration category, but some of my questions are specific to the 621, plus this seven year old thread -- along with many other restorations you guys have done -- is what motivated/shamed :oops: me into doing better. In fact, I was perfectly happy with my dinged-up cabinet until you guys came along. :P

So here goes. I'd been playing around with Mohawk toners over the past year, ordering them from Amazon. I've since learned Mohawk has M101 pigment and M100 dye based toners. Guess which ones Amazon carries? No wonder my stuff was looking like mud.

Sometimes it seems pigment based is what you'd want. I used M101-0209 extra dark walnut for the grill, and it came out ok. Helluva lot better than it was, but of course not on par with you guys. For the main part of the 621 I'm pretty sure I want a dye based toner, right? Mine's also the mahogany version. What color do you recommend? And... am I wrong about using pigment toner for the grill? Should I go back and strip it off and get the dye toner instead?

Lastly, filling little dents etc. After reading about eyedropper application of liquid lacquer but having no idea where to find that stuff, I thought I was clever buying some cheapie clear nail lacquer at the drug store. This worked. Kinda, All right, not that great. What product do y'all recommend?

PostPosted: May Mon 16, 2022 6:12 am 

Hello Tim,
I know these guys set new standards myself I am just a beginner learning oh the finish like these guys .
I have never use mohawk just Homestead by Jeff Jewet .

Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 8:11 am 

If you look at pages 15 to 19 of this article:

https://www.worldphaco.com/621TSARTICLE.pdf

You will see I restored the 621TS cabinet. I used a stain called Japan black and sprayed over that with polyurethane lacquer.

The CRT mask had been cut away, so I had to re-build it with wooden inserts.

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 8:19 pm 

I did see that article. You're one of the guys here that inspired me to do better. Amazing restoration!

What I was wondering is what's a good match for the front of a mahogany cabinet. I wound up going with Mohawk M100-0381 Ultra Classic red mahogany. Still working on it, but it looks like a good match. Thank you all again for the motivation!

PostPosted: May Sat 28, 2022 1:23 am 

Hello Tim,
Yes, ACORNVALVE did a beautiful job on that set one of my rare sets is Motorola's First 10-inch TV because I don't have that RCA model mine is an 8T241.

Sincerely Richard

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 134 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7