Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: walking down memory lane...
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 1:35 am 

As if I don't have enough problems, I'm about to tackle a Porta-Color I've had for over 10 years...never opened it, no idea what is wrong with it.

But I'm trying to remember a particular TV that I used to work on a lot. It was a GE B&W portable, IIRC it was about 9". Filled with compactrons, I think it had 3 or 4 PC boards that would develop bad connections (and the boards themselves would get charred and crumble). The cabinet was like a plastic "shell", you take it off and everything was pretty accessible. The set was really compact and there was a lot crammed in there. But these TVs were very, very common (they must have been cheap) and were made in a variety of colors.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 1:41 am 

Yes, that was an 11" or 12" black and white GE, the earliest of their small plastic cased portables, which had the tuner (later two tuners) and controls to the right of the CRT. One of their first sets to use several Compactrons, and IIRC the first to use combined horiz output/damper like the 33GT7 or 33GY7. Probably first came out around 1963? because the first ones didn't have UHF.

They didn't like heat. Was common to pull a tube to test or replace, and have the socket come out with it. Apparently the soldering process used was inadequate, I remember many of them where nearly every connection on the PC boards needed to be resoldered. And the sets didn't work good even when they worked.

I can't remember how many colors they came in, but I think over the years they were sold it was more than half a dozen colors.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 1:52 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Was common to pull a tube to test or replace, and have the socket come out with it.

Arrrrgg! That's it! Thank you for reminding me of one of the reasons I hated those sets. Haven't worked on one in 25 years or so. Now I remember why.

IIRC those sets also had about a gazillion wires going from board to board and different points on the same board, and they got brittle and broke easily - and at the factory they made them *just* long enough to reach from point A to point B. If one broke you usually had to replace it, and invariably the other end was nearly impossible to get to. Take it apart to fix that and something else falls apart...

Quote:
One of their first sets to use several Compactrons, and IIRC the first to use combined horiz output/damper like the 33GT7 or 33GY7.

33GY7, if memory serves me correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 1:54 am 

I have the sentennial model in red, white, and, blue.
Want it? Good luck. I hate them. They eat electrolytics, switches, tube sockets, solder points, and, such, for breakfast, and, flybacks for dinner.
When I last tried it many years ago, pix tube was still good. Occasionally, it would show a picture. Then, next time it was on, no hv, and, a loud squeel.
Horiz. out. turned a lovely cherry red at that time.
Resistor, and, flyback problems in their porta color sets.
The later color portables play much better than the earlier ones.
But, even there, the color is nothing to brag about, and, the tuners stink.
Cheap drum tuner with paper thin fingers.
Hope yours isn't instant on.
They had their own set of major problems. Tended to catch on fire.
Ate alot of silicon diodes, five watt resistors, and, the switch. Burned a large hole in the circuit board, and, occasionally, the front of the plastic case.
The back cover supports most of the circuit board. Nice flimsy way to build a set.
Bill Cahill

Sound like I like these sets???
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 1:57 am 

Bill Cahill wrote:
Sound like I like these sets???
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, you MUCH prefer the Predicta, the BEST TV ever made...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 2:05 am 

I'll take a Porta color over a Predicta ANY day!!!!!!!!
Yer as bad as Panther. He claims Predictas are the best, and, RCA made JUNK!!!
lol
:lol:
Bill Cahill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 4:01 am 

Bill Cahill wrote:
I'll take a Porta color over a Predicta ANY day!!!!!!!!
Yer as bad as Panther. He claims Predictas are the best, and, RCA made JUNK!!!
lol
:lol:
Bill Cahill

I never got to look at a Predicta up close and personal until I saw the one you have...the only thing I can say is "what were they thinking?"

I wonder how they were to build? Obviously someone let the designers do the engineering, and I suspect that some people at Philco knew they would be trouble...but management shut them up. I bet that just building them at the factory was a bit tricky

You have to admit one thing about the Predicta - it was ahead of its time. Too much heat in too cramped of a box. A TV that makes the GE portable I started this thread with seem like a treasure.

Well, I got the Porta-Color in the house. As soon as I can find a nut driver, I'll open it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 4:08 am 

I remember finding, during the '90's, a few of those early '60's junky GE B&W sets like you're talking about. I even had a couple that had an AA5 clock radio built in. I also remember the next generation SF chassis B&W's that were made from the late '60's through the mid '70's. Didn't like them worth a flip. In fact, GE didn't make too many TV's that I cared for. I could deal with the Portacolors and they made a little 12" solid state B&W (XB chassis, IIRC) in the '70's and early '80's that was OK. My parents had a little leather cased 9" solid state AC/DC GE B&W from the early '70's that was still going in the '90's when I got rid of it. I'm thinking that one was not actually built by GE. Probably why it held up for 25+ years without any trouble.

Probably the best TV that GE built was the PC chassis color TV
s from the '80's. There were some caps in the vertical and power supply sections that gave trouble; but, the chassis was otherwise trouble free.