Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 09, 2020 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ion trap troubles
PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2004 6:30 am 

This set has fought me every step of the way. I finally got the horizontal working, and now the ion trap adjustment isn't working. <P>To get any raster, I have to push the ion trap forward until it hits the focus coil. In this position, the trap (single magnet for 19AP4) is over the slanted portion of the gun--not over the gap between G1/G2. The yolk is pushed as far forward as it can go, and the focus coil is behind that. <P>I have tried removing the focus coil, but get no raster. I tried reversing the trap polairity, no raster. The only thing I didn't do was to move both the trap and the focus coil back toward the socket.<P>Could it be I need to put the trap between the yolk and the focus coil? Or do I have a weak magnet? Any other suggestions? <P>Thanks for any and all help,<BR>-Michael<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2004 10:22 am 

I've been having the same problem with my RCA 6T54. To get a raster, I have to push the ion trap way up to where it's nearly touching the the back of the focus magnet. The problem is, it's affecting the focus there. I have to sacrifice a lot of brightness to get a sharp picture. <P>The GE tube manual says that the ion trap should be close to the tube base (it's a 16GP4), but I get no raster at all there. <P>I too would be interested in knowing what's going on here!<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Sun 15, 2004 5:54 pm 

I think a weak magnet is a very good posibility. I have no idea what the condition of the trap was before now. I may have to find a way to check the magnet, I was told it needs to be 35 Gauss. <P>Don't know about HV being an issue, the screen is plenty bright. I don't have a HV probe to confirm that, though. I did check for HV with a neon lamp, and it lit up next to the HV lead.<P>This morning I found when I move the trap and the focus coil together, it gets brightest about where it should be. As soon as I pull the trap away from the focus coil, the picture fades. Adjusting the focus control doesn't seem to affect the brightness. Does this confirm a weak magnet?<P>-Michael<P>------------------<BR>