Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 12, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember The Sylvania "Scanner For Slides?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 08, 2011 11:41 pm 

I sold exactly one of these - tough sell. The TV didn't even have a remote either :!:

Post subject: Re: Remember The Sylvania "Scanner For Slides?
PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2011 1:34 am 

The newest way to bore your family and friends with slides of your last vacation.

Many modern sets have slots for Media Cards so you can do the same thing.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2011 3:24 am 

One can't help wonder how it worked. It's shown wireless but ads aren't known for accuracy. But CCDs weren't invented yet and there scarcely seems room in there for a vidicon.

Remember Sylvania 'Halovision'? In the BW days. The bezel around the tube lit up. Not mistaken, it was advertised on Beat the Clock game show.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2011 4:49 am 

There was a Kodak style carousel for 35MM slides under a lid in the cabinet's top. A flying spot scanner under the top scanned an image that was optically transferred from the slide using a dichroic mirror or mirrors and other things I don't understand. I'm embarrassed to say that I went to a technical training seminar on the thing, but decades later that's all I remember.
It was well engineered as picture quality and color were excellent.
Note to arbilab: You're thinking of Halolight and it was Beat The Clock.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2011 5:09 am 

arbilab wrote:
One can't help wonder how it worked. It's shown wireless but ads aren't known for accuracy. But CCDs weren't invented yet and there scarcely seems room in there for a vidicon.

Remember Sylvania 'Halovision'? In the BW days. The bezel around the tube lit up. Not mistaken, it was advertised on Beat the Clock game show.

T'aint nothin' better than dimmin' the room lights and turnin' on the tv set.... along with a snazzy pink flamingo ceramic "tv lamp" on top. :shock:

PostPosted: Jul Sat 09, 2011 5:34 am 

Mal, that's pritdang elegant for a one-off consumer gizmo in those days, innit? Dichroics are what 'real' TV cameras used prior to CCD. And the first broadcast flying-spot telecine came out in the mid 80s, by Marconi. I was at NAB where it was introduced.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 3:36 am 

Rank Cintel Flying Spot Telecines came out in the 70's and became the industry standard for film to tape, I worked with them for years as a colorist.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 4:15 am 

I sure can't tell you the distinction between a Rank and a Marconi. Just that the 'salesman said' it was a first. But then don't they always? Surely there was SOMEthing novel about it. DSP? Multi standard?

Should be noted that by the mid-80s TV stations were offing their telecines. Of 3, we shipped one to a sister station. TK28s if memory serves. I worked on them for 6 years and never could get them to look like each other.

Neither could my predecessor. And he was more a camera head than I was. My doo-wah-diddy was magnetic tape. I COULD get 4 generations of Ampexes to look like each other. Any idea how much fun that was? Whew.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2011 6:10 am 

So if a flying spot scanner like used in early BW cameras scanned the image, I'm not clear on how that would work with scanning a color image? Is that that where those mirrors come in, to separate it into the color signal to display on the set?

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2011 7:38 am 

I too was at NAB when they introduced the Marconi, If I recall correctly, the Marconi was lower cost and geared
toward more of an on air Telecine than post production work which the Rank was the standard. They are all multi standard. I just think it was a first for Marconi.
The Bosch and Sony CCD Telecines introduced in the 90's were also popular for post production, the Rank
Cintel HD C-Reality produced an image that was incredible.
Just about every movie you watch on DVD or film originated show on television was transferred using a Rank
or Bosch.
Very expensive machines, close to a million for the C-Reality and very expensive to maintain, the EHT or Flying
Spot Scanner Tube was around $18,000 and needs to be replaced every 1,000 hours or so, but could be tweaked to give if couple more thousand if the work being done was less critical.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 11, 2011 8:00 pm 

Las Vegas or Dallas that year? Fun time in the industry. Moving parts!

The Marconi had a wow factor but I was skeptical, having a fleet of 10 of their cameras which were poorly designed for maintenance and tended to blacken their boards in normal operation.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 3:43 am 

The "camera" was a flying spot scanner. A high brightness CRT raster was focused on the slide and the passing light went thru 2 dichroic mirrors to split the red, green and blue light to three sylvania 13-27681-4 photomultipliers; one for red, green and blue. Those three videos went to a color encoder. I have the photo tubes and dichroics from my old scanner. They sold a ton of them and can still be found on various surplus sales sites.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 5:14 am 

I picked up one of these off Facebook marketplace a couple of years ago. Mine was a mouse house...I had to reconnect a couple of chewed off wires to get vertical deflection and HV regulation back... Sound is dead and I need to clean and work on the slide system....the set has been on my to do list for about a year now.

Attachments:
IMG_20180728_185444219.jpg
IMG_20180728_185444219.jpg [ 714.14 KiB | Viewed 491 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 20, 2019 3:43 am 

orthophonic wrote:
I too was at NAB when they introduced the Marconi, If I recall correctly, the Marconi was lower cost and geared
toward more of an on air Telecine than post production work which the Rank was the standard. They are all multi standard. I just think it was a first for Marconi.
The Bosch and Sony CCD Telecines introduced in the 90's were also popular for post production, the Rank
Cintel HD C-Reality produced an image that was incredible.
Just about every movie you watch on DVD or film originated show on television was transferred using a Rank
or Bosch.

Or Spirit/SpiritII :) I work for Deluxe Film / Company3 and we still transfer film, although nowadays it's 4K on a Scanity.
orthophonic wrote:
Very expensive machines, close to a million for the C-Reality and very expensive to maintain, the EHT or Flying
Spot Scanner Tube was around $18,000 and needs to be replaced every 1,000 hours or so, but could be tweaked to give if couple more thousand if the work being done was less critical.

Philips ran an ad showing a Spirit that said "See Reality". Ouch. Ranks were a work of art, but remember Afterglow? I always kidded the whole she-bang shoulda been called After-thought. :)

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 9:55 pm 

I worked on the Sylvania Scanners in Miami when they were new. The biggest problem was the slides themselves. Slides that were developed locally in Miami were over exposed slightly so they have more contrast on a slide projector. The test slides from Sylvania were slightly under exposed so they looked washed out on a slide projector. As I remember they had a Wratten filter at each of the 3 PMTs but only 2 dichroic mirrors. It's been a while since the training seminar!!