Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 24, 2021 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco TV/radio/phono combo
PostPosted: Jun Sat 03, 2017 8:29 pm 

Can someone ID and date this unit? Is/was it a decent unit in it's day? now?

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/atq/6160474446.html

Attachments:
philcotv.jpg
philcotv.jpg [ 113.94 KiB | Viewed 6205 times ]
philcotv2.jpg
philcotv2.jpg [ 109.46 KiB | Viewed 6205 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco TV/radio/phono combo
PostPosted: Jun Sat 03, 2017 8:43 pm 

Probably 1952, give or take a year, guessing it's a split chassis, good performers then & now when restored.
Biggest issue is if the CRT is good. That set is pretty rough for $100, wouldn't pay that unless I knew for certain the tube was good.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 03, 2017 8:47 pm 

www.tvhistory.tv has a similar model listed as a 53 based on the Sams publishing date, the Sams usually came after the TV so still probably a 52 model, probably a 17" screen.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 03, 2017 10:14 pm 

As a collectible it's very low in desirability due to being a combo console and having a larger rectangular screen. 1951-54, in general, is a dead-zone for TV collectors. If the CRT is good the set is worth $25-$50 tops.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 04, 2017 2:25 am 

It looks a reasonable fixer-upper. Obviously, the finish/paint is shot. The entire face is painted woodgrain.....free is fine. Craig

PostPosted: Jun Sun 04, 2017 5:08 am 

Attachment:
phpWtYKjnPM.jpg
phpWtYKjnPM.jpg [ 36.72 KiB | Viewed 6148 times ]

I found a 53-T1884 about a year ago. Photo of unloading it from truck. Dead mint one-owner set, little-old-lady driven since new. I think very highly of it. Unusual cylindrical (rather than spherical) crt. Mine has the uber-rare factory UHF option. It's very compact for a combo, about the same size as most 1950/51 TV-only consoles.

Yours doesn't match the tvhistory 1883 or my 1884. Neither of those have doors. Yours does. Probably otherwise similar though

PostPosted: Jun Sun 04, 2017 11:18 pm 

WeekendHacker wrote:
Attachment:
phpWtYKjnPM.jpg

I found a 53-T1884 about a year ago. Photo of unloading it from truck. Dead mint one-owner set, little-old-lady driven since new. I think very highly of it. Unusual cylindrical (rather than spherical) crt. Mine has the uber-rare factory UHF option. It's very compact for a combo, about the same size as most 1950/51 TV-only consoles.

Yours doesn't match the tvhistory 1883 or my 1884. Neither of those have doors. Yours does. Probably otherwise similar though

Nice set! The bottom line with these old sets is that if it appeals to you, and the price is in your reach, than go for it
and ignore collector trends.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 05, 2017 1:17 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
...The bottom line with these old sets is that if it appeals to you, and the price is in your reach, than go for it
and ignore collector trends.

Amen.

Price was in my reach on the 1884; it was free. Original owner passed away, son had no use for it. I said thank you very much.

OP, you should be able to talk it down from $100. As dj67 said, if it appeals to you, go for it.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 05, 2017 1:27 am 

I would add that the 17YP4 crt appears to be very rare. Cool if the crt tests good but finding a replacement could be a challenge if it's a dud.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 05, 2017 4:31 am 

I'm looking for a vintage TV, however I'm looking for a combination of age, style, condition, and ease of repair/ parts availability. I don't really have anything particular in mind, It's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" type of things. I DO, however have a fondness for these combo units (being mainly a radio guy). I'm trying to test the waters here to get a feel for what is a reasonable purchase price vs. grabbing my ankles. Obviously, like anyone, I'm looking for the best deal possible, but I'm not afraid to pony up for the right piece. ( I don't want to pay $400 for a set I could have found for $40 if I had just been patient and bided(?) my time).

PostPosted: Jun Mon 05, 2017 3:08 pm 

Philco split chassis, early-mid 50's Admirals, and 1954 and newer Zeniths are good beginner sets to do electronic resto work on IMO.

That set is overpriced in my book....Patience has an advantage here. Most places will not allow you to throw such a set out, and recycle fees are ~$30. If no one bites for a while, and they need it gone, they will still come out ahead letting it go for free...

I'd not pay more than $25 for such a set with an unknown CRT.

If you like it a lot, you'd be wise to wait for it to have been listed for ~2-3 weeks then make a reasonable offer.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 05, 2017 3:44 pm 

All the advice here is good.

If you have a crt tester you could ask if you can bring and use it when you look at the set. If yes, you can put the crt question to rest before risking any money. If the crt tests bad you can (honestly) tell the seller the tv is worthless. If it tests 100% NOS, his $100 price is reasonable (just for the tube). If in between, adjust price accordingly.

If you are looking for a good learner set, I'm a strong advocate of not starting with a 621TS or CT-100 or an historic Farnsworth or some other museumworthy device. The TV you pointed out is wholly discardable (parted out) if you ruin it or just decide the hobby isn't any fun. Easy $100 worth of ebayable parts, and the cabinet could be turned into a liquor cabinet and sold for double your money. $100 worth of entertainment/education just attempting a restoration, even if you bail. Seems lime a no-lose even if you paid his full price, which is unlikely.

The radio on this set is a classic octal AA5 and the faceplate is remarkably cool. Even if the TV is junk it would be fun to restore the radio and put it in a custom cabinet. Likewise if you enjoy playing old shellac or vinyl.

It will get dumpstered if a TV collecter doesn't take it. Sometimes it's even noble to take pity on them, which I often do.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 06, 2017 4:46 pm 

analog.tv wrote:
...The entire face is painted woodgrain...

Perhaps not. RCA of the day was notorious for fake photofinish woodgrain, but I have a couple of Philcos of the same timeframe that are otherwise unremarkable sets but the woodwork is spectacular. First glance at the original photo looks like authentic enough walnut burl. Should look great if properly restored.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 08, 2017 5:26 am 

Don't toss it...restore i and enjoy your efforts. If I saw that, I'd be all over that like a fly on you-know-what! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 3:48 am 

Hey everybody,
I know this is an old post. I work for a local TV repair shop and been servicing TV's since I got my TV license in 1983. I enjoy a challenge and a customer brought one in exactly like that. It is model T-1888 built in 1954. I have a sam's for a T-1884 but it's a little bit different. So far I found the picture tube is a 17yp4 and is very weak, the yoke has an open vertical winding that I managed to repair after carefully doing surgery on it. The horizontal output tube was broken and of course all the caps were bad even the micas were unstable and about 15 resistors were way off. Before I discovered all this I replaced the horizontal output tube first and brought it up with a dim bulb tester and found out it can take full voltage so after full power the am radio played fine surprisingly but the TV only had a very very dim vertical line and only had about 4 kv on the crt. After recapping and some new resistors and replacing the selenium rectifiers it had 17kv but still no raster. I don't have a crt tester that will fit that old tub so I made a way to rejuvenate it hahahaha. I thought about my ccfl tester I use on older flat screens to test the ccfl tubes. It puts out a nice arc of high RF voltage at low current so I disconnected the green wire on the crt which is the brightness grid g1 and with the set on and 520 volts on the screen grid and 17kv I touched the control g1 brightness grid with the ccfl tester and zapped it back to life. Now it has a picture that will almost sync. I have just a few bugs still to work out in the horizontal sync it shakes and locks in between pictures

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:23 pm 

Philco TV sets of that era are FULL of "black beauty" molded-paper capacitors, and some that look like overgrown mica capacitors. They will all be leaky. The resistors of that era also tend to drift upwards in value. Good luck with your restoration!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 4:25 am 

Hello everyone
Has anyone ever had a tv that has horizontal lock with a split picture? Right side is on the left and the left side is on the right and the middle has a black bar that supposed to be on the sides over scanned. This Philco same model as this one is doing that. Vertical hold is ok

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:12 am 

Well I found the problem. I accidentally wired one end of a cap on the wrong terminal on the sync separator 6u8. There is a .047uf that couples the output of the 6be6 sync separator to the input of the sync clipper. The cap was accidentally wired to the input of the sync separator and input of the sync clipper. I can't believe how good these TVs work after a total restoration and recapping. I have to wonder....did wax paper or bumblebee caps actually work when they were new? I wonder how long a TV worked in the 1950s before it needed repairs. I don't know why these old monochrome TVs of the 50s fascinate me I guess it's the 50s styling that's so neat about them. Fonzie's TV heyyy. My dad had a storeroom full of those old TVs way back when I was about 4. None of them worked. He was taking a DeVry home course in radio/TV. We had an Emerson TV in a metal cabinet 21" it worked but the contrast was not good like it should be. It was a great moment for all of us to get our first color set. It was a 25" Zenith console about 1967 model. It was a good day for me in the repair shop. I got that old beast working hahahaha. It feels good when you can get something that old and screwed up to work again. I hate working on the present day LED. They don't deserve to be called a Television. I can repair them and replace the burned out LEDs as long as it's not a Samsung they just self destruct beyond repair. Don't get a new Samsung it's like mission Impossible. This TV will self destruct beyond repair

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:44 am 

If anyone needs a yoke for that model I have a NOS I ordered off eBay but now I don't need it I managed to repair the original Probably the last one on earth.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:18 am 

Glad you figured it out.
I figured it was a sync problem but I just couldn't come up with any good ideas on how to proceed.
I guess no one else had any ideas at the moment either.
I suppose the original paper caps probably lasted 10 to 15 years before they started to fail at random.
There may be a few plastic cased paper caps that are still OK now, but they would be so rare it wouldn't be
worth the time to find them.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page 1, 2  Next