Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 24, 2020 4:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TV RCA Victor chassis KCS 127A
PostPosted: Mar Thu 22, 2018 2:10 am 

Dear Sirs: I have a TV Rca Victor chassis KCS 127A which I want to restore, for it I would like to receive information about where I can to obtain: the MAIN BOARD and the SWEEP BOARD (page 12 and page 17 of the service manual) the boards may be new or used, and with or without the tubes. Thank you very much in advance, I hope to receive this information !

Attachments:
0003 (1) red..jpg
0003 (1) red..jpg [ 184.51 KiB | Viewed 1769 times ]
0002 (1)red..jpg
0002 (1)red..jpg [ 131.87 KiB | Viewed 1769 times ]
hermoso-tv-antiguo-marca-rca-modelo-adair-unico-227711-MLA20614843236_032016-F red..jpg
hermoso-tv-antiguo-marca-rca-modelo-adair-unico-227711-MLA20614843236_032016-F red..jpg [ 100.05 KiB | Viewed 1765 times ]
File comment: Television similar to mine (rear view)
RCA TV a red..jpg
RCA TV a red..jpg [ 130.93 KiB | Viewed 1763 times ]

Post subject: Re: TV RCA Victor chassis KCS 127A
PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 4:12 am 

after so many years have passed i doubt any parts supplier has parts for these. you would need a doner set.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 4:19 am 

I don't see any other possibility. Even if the board had been assigned a part number when those sets were new, it's unlikely you could have actually ordered and obtained one from RCA without a lot of difficulty.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 5:59 am 

Why do you need to replace the entire PCBs?

Even assuming you could find some new-old-stock replacements, many of the parts on them would need to be replaced due to age.

Vintage TVs were NEVER like, say, computers today. You would never swap out an entire PCB (it's just too hard) and so it's doubtful if they were ever available as a spare part anyway.

A donor chassis would be your only hope and it would need the same sort of replacements made to it as the ones you already have.

Time to bring the chassis up using a dim-bulb tester and find out what you need to do to it. Getting and old TV working in some fashion isn't generally too difficult. It's fixing all the niggling little faults you find once it's running that take the time, effort and problem-solving skills.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 7:59 pm 

"Back in the day" when I worked for an RCA dealer in the late 60's we had a new CTC38 set come in that was obviously damaged at the factory before being boxed up. The chroma/video board was broken in two. Numerous phone calls to RCA parts distributors told us complete boards are not available. Even for a new current model.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 26, 2018 8:53 pm 

mr detrola yes rca does not stock parts for older equiptment. in the 1990s i contacted rca for replacement part for an 1973 rca color tv. it was solid state but each section of the tv was on a seperate board. not being knowelagable about testing and servicing solid state tvs as i only worked on tube equiptment i contacted rca and requested a new power board for that tv and was told we no longer9 have parts for anything that old. fortunately i was able to locate a new power board for the tv at a local tv shop. i am sure it was used but it worked. in talking to the guy i was told that was common for this set to develop problems with the power board. if i remember what the guy told me correctly he said there was a transistor on the board that would short frequently. it sure explained why that tv would work for a year or so then start tripping the circuit breaker every time it was turned on causing a call to the service man by my mother.

i often wondered if every section of the tv being on a seperate board was rca's answer to silvania's works in a drawer design.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 1:49 am 

Thank you all for your words. The idea of having these two printed circuit boards was to have spare parts, especially the intermediate frequencies board (IF video and audio), which is difficult to repair but not impossible. Anyway, I'm going to repair this TV set that was the first TV set that was bought in my home when I was a 5-year-old boy in 1965. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 5:57 am 

For many older printed-circuit boards, it is not difficult to replace discrete components on the board. This article has some general advice on that subject (see the section, "Replacing Capacitors on Printed Circuit Boards"):

https://antiqueradio.org/PhilcoF4626MTelevision.htm

In sets of that vintage, you may need to replace old electrolytic and tubular (paper or plastic-coated paper) capacitors, which degrade with age whether or not the TV was used. (Thus, even if you could find replacement boards, their capacitors would likely be as bad as the ones in your television.) This article shows how I "recapped" a couple of boards on another 1960s RCA TV (see "2011 Update"):

https://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-11Television.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2018 1:02 pm 

Thank you very much for your help !