Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 5:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going to buy radio tomorrow PLEASE HELP!
PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 11:20 pm 

It is truly amazing what prices Willee fetches for his radios!
As you can see he is only charging $80 to ship it in the US.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 11, 2018 4:07 am 

Check-out John Kopp's youtube channel, user name 'joernone'. John has done quite a few repair and restoration series.
Watch: Part one of 14. 1941 Zenith Model 6-S-597
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuKWqPjd6gc
John is known here on Arf as 'badrestorer' ... one of life's good guys.

To save videos for later viewing, use→ https://www.apowersoft.com/online-video-downloader
Save MP4 at (480p)
Just copy + paste the youtube video URL into the download box... avoid the advertisements (cleverly named Download) and the offer to download/install their desktop version.

Rename your downloaded file to end with→ .mp4

more: (restoration video series + reading a schematic)...
viewtopic.php?p=2542034#p2542034

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 4:18 am 

+1 on starting with the GE - I have done a Zenith similar to the console and there was a lot to it -- both radios you got look to be in pretty good shape as far as the cabinets -- Not sure what you paid but I think you got a couple nice projects there --

keep us posted on your progress --

Griz

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 11:15 am 

Damn...
I would have taken that Cigarette radio in pink...
I love mine but it is not PINK!

:)

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 7:50 pm 

If anyone is curious, I gave 100 total for the radios. I really appreciate everyone here. I am taking all the notes that I can. Seems like everyone agrees I should start with the General Electric. Thank yall very much for showing me where to get the diagrams.

I do not have any test equipment yet for radios. As I said, I purchased a 1953 Admiral television and came here to learn to restore it. Everyone told me to start with a radio so I put the television on hold for now. I did purchase a CRT tester for that project. I guess I need to get a soldering iron and a multimeter now and learn how to use them.

Is ebay the best place to find replacement caps etc. for the radio???

Thanks again everyone!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:13 pm 

You did great, the Zenith alone is worth more than a C-Note.

I would suggest printing out the schematics and studying them -start with the GE- against the actual wiring, so you learn how to read them, if you don't already know.

AFA equipment, get a DMM -you can get a cheapy or free one at Harbor Freight- but if you plan to work on numerous sets in the future, get a good one. Doesn't have to be new, and eBay would be a good place to look. I'm partial to Fluke, but there are other quality brands as well.

You'll also need a soldering pencil, 40-60 watts, and I would additionally recommend getting a soldering gun, 150+ watts. A solder sucker is also a handy item to have. I use a Solda-Pult.

That's all you really need, to begin with. AFA capacitors, I can recommend Sal, who has an ad on the right side of the page. If you want to go to a larger outfit, All Electronics, Mouser, or Digi-Key, as 3 examples.

I've bought caps from eBay sellers in the past, and have had NP with their merchandise, but others here have warned about possible sub-standard Chinese knockoffs. At an established retailer, we assume that there's some measure of accountability regarding the quality of the parts they supply.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:20 pm 

Okay perfect. So get diagram of GE, shop for caps at Sals and get soldering equipment and a multimeter. I do not know how to read schematics. I ordered a few books that were suggested to me in my other post about the 1953 Admiral. I hope to see them at the front door soon. Maybe they will enlighten me on how to read them. I have to learn to use the multimeter too. I have soldered a nintendo cartridge battery once and I replaced the motherboard on a dvd player which required I solder 6 wires but that's all the experience I have with that. I am in kindergarten electrically speaking and it's my first week in class. I have had to google almost everything you guys have said.

I'm very excited to learn this so please be patient with me. I really want this. Thank all of you very much for the great advice. This is the most friendly group I have ever dealt with. I told my wife I wish we could meet up and talk in person. She is happy I have found this hobby.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:24 pm 

dandypanty wrote:

I really want this. .

That's the key... You'll do fine!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:28 pm 

All you have to do is ask here, whenever you run into something you don't understand.

I would advise finding a resistor color code chart on the net, and printing it out. Once you get the meter, you can measure across each resistor in the GE, to see if they are each within spec. If there are any out of tolerance, you can order them along with the caps. Three color bands allow up to 20% variance. A 4th band indicates a tighter tolerance.

I would also suggest going to the top of any page here, click on the Archives link, and then click on "Elements of Radio Servicing". You'll learn how a radio works.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:34 pm 

Here is a GREAT simple, easy to understand description of how the All American 5 tube radio works.
Each of the 5 or 6 pages covers a section of the radio.
Read and reread it anytime you need refreshing... I think it's a wonderful primer.
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/fun ... AA5-1.html

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 9:49 pm 

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors

Best price and FAST

:)

PostPosted: Mar Mon 12, 2018 11:28 pm 

Quote:
You'll also need a soldering pencil, 40-60 watts, and I would additionally recommend getting a soldering gun, 150+ watts. A solder sucker is also a handy item to have. I use a Solda-Pult.

For that soldering iron, get a chisel or pyramid shaped tip that's 1/8" to 3/16" across. The tips that come with most soldering irons are really too small for antique electronic work although they are perfect for modern electronics. Weller is a good brand of quality soldering irons but they aren't the only ones (American Beauty, Hexacon and Hakko also come to mind but you won't find them at the local hardware store). Expect to pay $20 to $30.

The soldering gun is a secondary item. It is great for a quick job but for extended use the iron is the way to go. It works for most things. I have a number of guns and high powered irons and I rarely use any of them (but there are times . . . ).

As for a solder sucker, Soldapult is the ONLY brand to get. And be sure to get the full size one. They last forever and replacement parts are available. There have been numerous threads on ARF from people with other types. Virtually without exception the posters weren't satisfied with them. Some people use Soder-Wik or a similar product. These work fine but with the amount of solder found in old radios you will use a LOT of it and it isn't cheap. Where this type of material is essential is for cleaning the pads on a PC board when replacing a surface mount part. But you won't find any of that in vintage equipment.

You also need solder to go with your iron. Get the kind that is 60% tin and 40% lead (60/40) or 63/37. There is only a slight difference in performance between these (63/37 is better) so either is OK. Don't get other alloys like 50/50 or 40/60. These melt at a higher temperature and are harder to use and there is a greater chance of overheating whatever you are soldering. Be sure it has rosin flux and is intended for electronic work. Absolutely do not get acid flux. Also avoid no-clean (there isn't enough flux in it) and water soluble (you MUST wash it off with water) versions. It is cheaper per ounce to buy it by the pound rather than in smaller packages. 0.032" diameter is a good size for antique radio work but don't get hung up on that; other sizes will work too. Kester, Alpha Metals, and Ersin/Multicore are good brands but others are also around. Avoid solder from eBay especially if the seller sounds like he doesn't know anything about his offering. There was a thread here a while back from someone who couldn't make good solder joints. Many explanations were offered but the most likely was that he had bought some cheap solder that was actually made from used solder that hadn't been refined to get the contaminants out.

It would also be a VERY good idea to get an isolation transformer. There are many threads about that on ARF and be sure to pay attention to the ones about being sure that the one you're thinking of is one that is actually suitable for this work (there are other types that aren't).

If you want to really understand what's going on in your radio or other thing, you can read this: https://archive.org/details/BasicElectricityVol1ToVol5VanValkenburgh and this: https://archive.org/details/BasicElectronicsVolumes151955. These are old (1950s) Navy training materials and cover the material well. Don't worry if you don't understand it all at first; there's no time limit or final exam here. Other good basic materials are the correspondence courses that were offered back in the day. You can find some of them here:http://americanradiohistory.com/. Point to "Technical and Engineering" and go down to "Technical Training and Study" then pick the course you want to try (I haven't read any of them).

Good luck and keep asking questions

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:05 am 

For a first soldering project, make yourself a pair of jumpers. 2 16" lengths of stranded 18 or 20 gauge wire and 4 alligator clips, not too large, with the insulating boots on them. Strip the wires, right, you'll need wire strippers. Tin the bare copper wire. The clips can be clamped onto a sheet of cardboard to hold them steady. Solder the wires to the clips. It takes a fair bit of heat to get the temperature up. Good practice.

If you want to continue with the practice, get some extra leads for your DMM. Instead of probes, solder alligator clips on them. These are handy for monitoring voltages with power on. But your jumpers can be used for that.

Make up a dim bulb tester. Tin the stranded wire where they will attach to the bulb socket. An extension cord can be used for that, with the socket on one of the wires. Another handy item is a kill switch on the bench. You can used a power bar, or you can build a custom one. I have multiple outlets with switches, one for the soldering iron, and one for the isolation transformer and radio.

A signal generator is a handy item to shop around for.
Search here for past threads. It's all been covered, lots of advice and answers to every question.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 4:34 am 

I recently restored a Philco 112 with the Gebbes cabinet. The only thing I had to do to the cabinet was stain a few scratches and do a Formby's job on it. It's a radio that I will hang onto for a long time and it does perform well. I would get a set of schematics from Phil Schwark at the Philco Repair Bench. Makes it a lot easier to identify components and Bakelite capacitor enclosures.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 5:08 am 

The 1930'second console is the best one there, especially to those of us who appreciate consoles. Some of the table radios, such as that the one in that Philco record player, work nicely when restored.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 3:08 pm 

I believe that GE is actually model L-652. Nostalgia Air has a misprint in its listing, I-652.
I checked Radio Attic's Archives.
http://radioatticarchives.com/archive.htm?page=g5

PostPosted: Mar Tue 13, 2018 6:36 pm 

You may also, as I do, prefer to use de-soldering broad. I use a 45 watt "pencil" soldering iron with a screwdriver tip. A good multi-meter and hand tools are also essential.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 6:49 pm 

thank you to everyone here for the awesome mentoring. I am 10 of 44 into joernones series on the 31 Airline. He is teaching how to read and understand the schematics right now. I pulled my schematic up for the GE and I'm following along taking notes trying to understand. I do have some questions but they might be answered in the series so I'll hold them until I'm finished. Also I saved all the links in my favorites including the how to read the schematic series posted earlier. I am going to be picking up some tools this weekend and if I'm confident enough, I'd like to begin disassembling the General Electric if yall recommend doing that. I want to clear a space to work on it first.

Are there any cheap (but good) work tables for this kind of thing in the big stores that yall believe would be good? I already have a great lamp I have been dying to setup. It was given to me from an animal hospital that was used for surgery and it's at least 60 years old. But I need a sturdy table or desk to mount it to.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 6:50 pm 

If yall have time, could you post a photo of your work stations? I would like to get some ideas on how I'd like to set mine up. I haven't a clue at the moment and I'd hate to waste time and money doing/buying the wrong stuff. Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mar Wed 14, 2018 8:53 pm 

search this site on "show us your bench"

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=141077&hilit=show+us+your+bench

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 92 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next