Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 11, 2019 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Going to buy radio tomorrow PLEASE HELP!
PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 1:56 am 

here is a video of my televison.. I know I did some things that might be considered sacrilegious. I don't want to disrespect this community. You have all been so helpful and encouraging to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9gdhQ80ug I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much. I do plan to finish the cabinet with lacquer now after having talked it over with some of you good folks.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 2:35 am 

You sanded the entire cabinet by hand, and in the kitchen.
Well done... :)

Neat soundtrack... 8)
Greg.

oh... I've seen you on TV Lol

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 2:10 pm 

I thought you were going to work on the GE radio.
I don't want to play moderator but you should be posting this under the television category.
Maybe start a new thread about the GE here.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 3:24 pm 

About the television, I had made that video before I was a member here. I put the television project on hold to work on the GE per the advice from practically everyone here. I just shared that video of the television because I thought a few of y'all would be interested to see it. I will stick to the topic of the GE from here on.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 4:11 pm 

Post whatever you want. This is a hobby forum and it's nice to follow your progress, be it a radio or TV.

Things that make you go hmmm...
Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 7:12 pm 

^ Greg has spoken... :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Mon 19, 2018 10:46 pm 

So I'm pretty disappointed after the weekend. I went to several garage sales, thrift stores, goodwills, and pawn shops. I struck out on everything I was looking for which was the soldering iron, DMM, and work bench/table. Trying to save a buck or two.. I think I'm going to wind up going to Home Depot for the DMM and soldering iron like I had originally said and hold out for a bench when I can find something suitable for the space I have. The GE is sitting on the dining room table right now. I was away from the house all weekend so I didn't have time to open it up but I did notice something.

When turning the tuner knob, it doesn't feel connected to anything. I looked at the schematic and noticed a "dial stringing diagram". I shot a light through the back and saw what looks like a small pulley and there is no string on it so that's one thing I'll need.

I want to say I saw a video of someone replacing some string like this with some children bead string. I can't recall exactly.. I'm sure I can find something when the time comes.

At any rate, the push buttons all seem to work but there is only one label on one of them. If I can find a good detailed photo I can make some decals to replace those.

I updated my location and searched again for local/in state radio clubs. No luck there but there was a guy looking for a club in Louisiana several years back. I sent him a message here, hoping he is still around. I'd like to hook up with someone either in person or maybe on skype or google hangout just to talk through some of the "getting started" type things I should know.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 1:01 am 

dandypanty wrote:
So I'm pretty disappointed after the weekend. I went to several garage sales, thrift stores, goodwills, and pawn shops. I struck out on everything I was looking for which was the soldering iron, DMM, and work bench/table. Trying to save a buck or two.. I think I'm going to wind up going to Home Depot for the DMM and soldering iron like I had originally said and hold out for a bench when I can find something suitable for the space I have. The GE is sitting on the dining room table right now. I was away from the house all weekend so I didn't have time to open it up but I did notice something.

When turning the tuner knob, it doesn't feel connected to anything. I looked at the schematic and noticed a "dial stringing diagram". I shot a light through the back and saw what looks like a small pulley and there is no string on it so that's one thing I'll need.

I want to say I saw a video of someone replacing some string like this with some children bead string. I can't recall exactly.. I'm sure I can find something when the time comes.

At any rate, the push buttons all seem to work but there is only one label on one of them. If I can find a good detailed photo I can make some decals to replace those.

I updated my location and searched again for local/in state radio clubs. No luck there but there was a guy looking for a club in Louisiana several years back. I sent him a message here, hoping he is still around. I'd like to hook up with someone either in person or maybe on skype or google hangout just to talk through some of the "getting started" type things I should know.

Ha-ha. So now that this has been moved to the TV category you are back talking about the radio.
Let me see if I can straighten this out. You've found a radio, in fact two, so why don't you start another thread about the GE radio (L-652 I think) that you place in the radio category. You already have a thread started about the 1953 Admiral in the TV category so when you are back to that you can post about that there. If you want to re-cap the B&K 440 you can start a thread in the Test Equipment category. The way you are going this is turning into a blog about all your efforts. By having separate threads, each with unique titles, you make it easier for people in the future searching for a subject.
Equipment, if you are stuck with shopping at Home Depot and paying the least then I would recommend, Klein meter SKU # 1003041819. Meters are important, I would not go too cheap. Soldering Iron, Aven model 17521 or Hakko model 508-1/P, or similar 40 W.
Dial stringing, I've gotten the real stuff from Bob's Antique Radios. I also have some fishing line that is thinner, 65 lbs test. Some radios seem to do better with the thin stuff. Thick fishing line the diameter of the original dial string is very high test. Real dial string has a nylon or similar core (strength) with a cloth covering (friction). Some radios use metal cable or types of belts.
Have you downloaded the Rider's on the radio? It has the stringing diagram.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 1:22 am 

Yes I have downloaded the schematic. That's how I realized there was a string.

Okay so I need to start a new thread on this specific radio and only ask questions about that. Got it. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't moved the thread anywhere and I never mentioned the television after the last time I said I wouldn't so I don't know what is going on with the category thing. I don't really know all the etiquette here yet. I don't want to turn it into something it isn't intended to be so my apologies.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 2:12 am 

dandypanty wrote:
Yes I have downloaded the schematic. That's how I realized there was a string.

Okay so I need to start a new thread on this specific radio and only ask questions about that. Got it. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't moved the thread anywhere and I never mentioned the television after the last time I said I wouldn't so I don't know what is going on with the category thing. I don't really know all the etiquette here yet. I don't want to turn it into something it isn't intended to be so my apologies.

Really not a big deal, just wanted to explain a few things. Being able to search this forum is a very useful thing, often a question has already been answered in past posts. Whenever I get something new, I do a search here to see what someone has already found out about it.
I was surprised to see the thread moved. The moderator can move an entire thread to another category but I don't think they can split them up. That one of the reasons to generally keep each thread to one subject. So anyway when you post in the category TV, the people most interested and knowledgeable about TV will see it. Same with the Radio category or the Test Equipment category. Then there are a few categories that are more general, like Electrical/Mechanical Repair and Restoration, a catch-all that always has a lot of activity. Things can get lost in there!

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 3:15 am 

You need to have a separate discussion about the TV, in the TV forum.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 20, 2018 1:08 pm 

Maybe the gentle moderator can move this thread back and forth from the (TV - Radio) as the dialogue morphs back and forth.

Haha .......just kidding

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 92 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5