Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Tue 25, 2020 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New hope for our old CRT duds
PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 12:22 pm 

This company seems to becoming more and more interesting over the past few months. I wonder if it's a viable option for those of us to have hard to find CRTs

https://www.facebook.com/38701979143238 ... 616254122/

Post subject: Re: New hope for our old CRT duds
PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 4:55 pm 

Any summary or info for us non-facebook people?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 5:07 pm 

From what I can tell it seems to be a company in Russia looks like they do a pretty good business overseas and I am told they're working with a few people here in the US, who are also working on projects on CRT rebuilding, but it's not my place to go any further than that. Apparently they're going to provide electron guns. Let's hope this actually all works out I know we all have tubes that could have some new life.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 5:09 pm 

LLC MELTZ is the name of the company do a search and you should find plenty of information.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 7:08 pm 

I thought Early Television Museum was going to rebuild CRTs. What happened?

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 7:13 pm 

I haven't heard any plans on them abandoning that idea, from what I heard from MELTZ in an online post they said they may be supplying electron guns to an individual who is working on a project. Don't know any more than that but I sure do wonder what it would cost to send a CRT to Russia, I have a couple I'd like to have redone

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 8:00 pm 

The ETF has announced that they are not pursuing CRT rebuilding:

Quote:
After much deliberation, we have determined that it is not currenty practical for the museum to rebuild CRTs for sale to the collecting community. Though we have the equipment and the expertise, we don't have the management to undertake the project. Maybe at some time in the future this will change, but for now the facility at the museum will be used for demonstration purposes. We also intend to include the rebuilding room as a display area for the museum, so that visitors can see the equipment and understand the rebuilding process.

There is another alternative for rebuilding, though. Nick Williams, who lives in Maryland, has purchased all the equipment needed to rebuild tubes. His plan is to start doing this after he retires from the Navy in 2020. Here is a recent status report he prepared on his progress:

As you may or may not know, the museum presently has facilities for CRT rebuilding. The central issue for getting a regular rebuild schedule going has been the unavailability of an operator in Ohio (me), since I’m the only one with the necessary training and I happen to live out of state.

That being the case I took it upon myself to acquire another set of rebuilding equipment identical to what’s at the museum, and moved it into my workshop here in Maryland. At the moment I’m busy getting the equipment into operating condition, since it requires work like replacement of old gas lines, lubrication of bearings and things of that nature. I hope to complete this work by January. Right this moment I have all the old lines removed and need to order replacement ones, I have also taken the liberty of constructing a preheating torch similar to the equipment I trained on in France, which should help avoid any issues with glass cracking caused by thermal shock during lathe operations.

Once the glassworking lathes are operable to my satisfaction, the next step will be constructing a suitable oven to process the tubes. This is not particularly difficult, just time consuming. I’m still active duty Navy looking at retiring in August of 2020 and I’m also a single parent, so finding the time for these things is a challenge.

Another issue has been the availability of replacement parts for tubes; complete electron gun assemblies or cathodes to rebuild old ones, and piece parts such as getters and glass stems to mount the gun on for installation in a tube. Fortunately a supplier has been located in Russia, and they are very willing to work with us in the states to get old tubes going again. I remain in contact with them, hoping to come to a suitable business arrangement.

Lots of moving parts to this, and none of it will be solved overnight. I feel confident that I can have the plant machinery operational in the coming year, so as long as parts are not an issue tube rebuilding should be a reality as soon as I’m in retirement from the military.

There is still hope with Nick, who bought a bunch of equipment earlier this year. I searched for LLC Meltz and didn't find them.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 26, 2018 8:32 pm 

So, who is being quoted at ETF? I would like to know exactly what "lack of management" has to do with stopping CRT rebuilding when there is expertise and equipment. There was plenty of management around when they were asking for cash donations.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 12:05 am 

I am planning to go out there to the convention in May; my main reason for going is to find a decent 10BP4, and maybe an older sweep generator. Besides that, I would like more information on what is going on. It does seem odd that they would put all of the money and effort into that project, only to abandon it.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 1:57 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
So, who is being quoted at ETF? I would like to know exactly what "lack of management" has to do with stopping CRT rebuilding when there is expertise and equipment. There was plenty of management around when they were asking for cash donations.

To clarify madlabs quoted text. The first two paragraphs are from the museum, the rest of it is from Nick Williams, as far as I can determine. It the the museum page you can see that Nick comments are indented from the rest, it didn't show that way in madlabs quote.

I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes at the museum. I don't want to speak for Steve McVoy. It was never clear to me what kind of a financial arrangement Steve was looking to set up.
Every museum I know of is always looking for more funds. That being said, perhaps Steve was looking to generate a cash flow for the museum. If rebuilding CRT was a profit making business then Hawkeye could have found someone to take it over. Just not enough volume to make it a desirable business I would think. I believe that Steve was offering to pay someone to do the rebuilding, perhaps there were no takers in the area. Like I said, I don't know what situation is, and Steve seems to hold his cards close to his vest.
Maybe someone closer to the museum staff can fill in the blanks or correct me.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:13 am 

Still more questions: Who is Nick Williams, and why is he claiming to be the only person in the US who has CRT rebuilding skills and knowledge? I was under the impression that ETF was training several people in various aspects of that profession and that the former head of Hawkeye was conducting some of that training. I got that information directly from the ETF site. Members of ETF posted that information here on ARF and also asked for donations of money and equipment to help fund that venture and stated that if we as collectors wanted to preserve this valuable function we had better pony up and start writing checks.

Now it appears that ETF is a museum only, and the only true function is to charge an admission fee and collect antique TV related items to auction or keep as they please.

Am I missing anything? Personally, I would like to hear from Steve McVoy and Bob Gallanter, as they were none too pleased with my initial inquiries about how funds were to be spent. In the spirit of full disclosure, I DID NOT donate to ETF.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:27 am 

Just to set the record straight, I did not post this information to cause any hard feelings or cause any arguments or animosity. I wanted to provide information to those of us who may benefit from their services.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 5:50 am 

Johnnysan, the ETF Museum IS a museum first and foremost. Also, as far as I understand the museum is a non-profit operation. They have to get money to pay the bills if nothing else. I believe when the museum heard about the rebuilding companies shutting down they figured that they would be a logical place to collect information and hardware on CRT rebuilding, (so it wouldn't be lost). Is far as I know no one else (museums. etc.) took on the task. I don't think the museum killed the idea, just that things are not working out at this time. They did train, at least to some extent, other people, but those people were not necessarily employees of the museum. Much of the work done at the museum is by volunteers.

There are people around that are attempting to rebuild CRT on a very limited basis, mostly for rebuilding their own tubes.
Nick Williams visited the French company RASC before it closed down, for one thing. Nowhere did anyone say he was the only person that knew how to rebuild a tube.
I believe Bob Galanter visited Hawkeye owned by Scott Avitt.
There are videos, reports and pictures at the ETF website.
CRT rebuilding is a very complex task, not just technically but logistically. You have to learn to work with glass, find a source of glass tubing, cathodes or guns, tube bases, glass "buttons", getters, etc.
You have to gather all the equipment and tools. Pay the bills for electricity and gas, etc.
Edison64, none of this is a reflection on your post, except perhaps Nick might be planning to get some of his supplies from this Russian company.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 31, 2018 4:02 pm 

The CRT rebuilding at the ETF seemed to not be going all that well.
A couple years ago, I went to the convention hoping to see a scheduled demonstration of CRT rebuilding. At least it was advertised as a seminar from what I recall.
I arrived and when the seminar was supposed to happen, nothing much was going on. I hung around hoping to learn a few things, but later the guy who was supposed to be giving the seminar made a statement something to the affect of:
"Oh, I guess I was supposed to be doing a demonstration on CRT rebuilding? Well, hahaha, I guess that isn't happening"
I was a bit disappointed with that attitude, but as mentioned, the ETF is run by volunteers and not paid workers.

I would happily help the museum more than I do if I could.
Unfortunately, spare time is precious little for me right now, and due to events in November, now money is also tight.
I have donated parts such as yokes and flybacks this year, which I never asked for anything as far as tax receipts, therefore Steve probably doesn't know I donated them.

I want to see CRT rebuilding happen somehow. It seems to be much like weight loss. There has to be SERIOUS dedication and WILLPOWER to make it happen, or it just won't.

Please don't take my comment as a slam against the museum. I know it takes alot of work and money to keep things going, and I'm happy that it is going as well as it is.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 01, 2019 5:40 am 

If all goes well, I plan on retiring in three years. When that happens, I wouldn't mind learning to do some rebuilding, since I have family in the area.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 01, 2019 9:51 pm 

From some VideoKarma posts, it seems like Nick bought the equipment from a company shutting down on the west coast about a year ago for about $2000. Then he shipped it to the ETF museum, then trucked it himself to his place in Maryland. That was all on this own dime and time. That is the level of dedication required.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 2:29 am 

I have a 10BP4 dud sitting around. Not sure what to with it or how to get rid of it. But maybe someday it can be rebuilt and will have value as a spare crt again. So in my "junk" pile it is.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 6:25 am 

That is something I have always wanted to see in person. If I lived in that area, I'd like to learn how to do that. That would really round out my TV addiction :mrgreen:!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 6:28 am 

Nuke; I'm looking for a backup 10bp4 for my Tele-King...Is your tube any good, or is it totally dead? :D

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2019 5:07 am 

I hope someone gets something fired up. My dud pile certainly isn't getting any smaller

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next