Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 2:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith porthole 1949 TV - 28T962R - restoration project?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 8:29 pm 

If you're looking for a second set of eyes, it would be helpful to mention your location. Craig

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 8:37 pm 

My apologies, I keep seeing locations next to people's names on the posts, and haven't looked closely at my posts and seem to have overlooked that I never filled that out on my profile. I've gone ahead and updated that, I'm in Attleboro, MA.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 8:52 pm 

You might want to see if you can take pictures of some of the problem spots.
Someone can compare them with the way the original things looked.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 9:58 pm 

For cardboard tubes, look at the cardboard tubes that wrapping paper comes on or the ones that paper towels come on. Or perhaps look at plastic pipe at the hardware store. Or any thin cardboard that you can form into a tube. You would need some black spray paint.

When I restuffed some electrolytic caps I just cut the can apart just above the bottom flange. I used a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. A hack saw would have worked. I just glued the can back together with J-B Weld glue. The thin gray line just at the flange was not very noticeable. You won't see it at all if the can is covered by a paper tube.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 10:32 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
When I restuffed some electrolytic caps I just cut the can apart just above the bottom flange. I used a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. A hack saw would have worked. I just glued the can back together with J-B Weld glue. The thin gray line just at the flange was not very noticeable. You won't see it at all if the can is covered by a paper tube.

You can also on cardboard cans, pull the cardboard off intact, saw the can somewhere above the base lip, throw out the can top, stuff new caps into the base then slip the cardboard tube back over to hide it.
As long as nobody crushes the cardboard by accident no one will ever know or care that there isn't a whole can under it.... Some cans without the cardboard I have taken cardboard from spare cans and used to hide the top discard.

Unless a set is close to one of a kind, rediculously perfect and original, or rabidly sought after/valuable I never bother with restuffing work. Some sets I will bag all the paper caps I change 1) as evidence of a recap, 2) so if a future owner hates staring at a chassis full of modern caps they can do the restuff themselves. Many late 40s and newer sets used plastic shell paper caps which cannot be restuffed in any practical manner .... those sets you either just don't restuff or you go OCD mode and use precision industrial machines to cut the caps or make molds and mold a faux shell around the new cap and find some way to duplicate the markings....both options only are worth it on $1k+ sets.... otherwise the time you spend will be way more any money you'll ever get from the set. Time=$.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 11:46 pm 

Sometimes the cardboard cover is held on with a bit of tar. Using a hot air gun can soften the tar and allow you to pull the cover off.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 8:24 pm 

Ok, I think I can manage to take another stab at capacitor work this weekend, with focus on disconnecting and leaving the cans in place, and placing new capacitors underneath. And figuring out a solution for a replacement cardboard cover for the can I already removed.

In the meantime, I've given thought to the cabinet. It does show a bit of wear, and I wouldn't mind a nicer look for it. But I don't know much about refinishing, and am not looking to go too deep into that. I did stumble onto this link, https://www.antiqueradio.org/rca15.htm, which it looks like he got good results for a few hours of work. Any thoughts on that process, or recommendations?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 10:46 pm 

A few hours' work....don't we wish. Time to pull on your OCD hat. That's a nice set which-when working-will keep your living room warm. Craig

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 7:37 pm 

Another day I go take a look....another day I can't get even 1 capacitor changed.

I just cannot do this, I just do not have the skills to do this, and I just cannot teach myself these skills magically, and I can't seem to find anyone that will teach me.

Does anyone in Massachusetts restore antique TVs for money? That's the only way I will ever be able to enjoy this TV. Otherwise, it's doomed to sit in parts in my basement until someone tosses it out.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 11:48 pm 

Since you're in Attleboro MA, I suggest you get in touch with the New England Antique Radio Club (now NEVEC). They've got a lot of members involved with just about everything electronic and old, and have swap meets 3 times a year. Lately they've been adding electronic-repair training sessions at the end of the swapping, too. There's a big meet coming up March 1st - you should be able to ask around for TV people.

You probably need a mentor to get you over the "I can't do this" phase. Maybe ask former NEVEC president Bruce Philips -- he knows everybody, and he's never missed a meet that I know of.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 09, 2020 12:16 am 

Yeah, I've gone to a few of the swap meets. Bought some radios. But, never really was able to strike up a conversation that leads to talking about TV repair help. I really don't know anyone there that well.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 09, 2020 1:44 am 

My best gambit for getting info like that is to just ask outright, rather than trying to lead the conversation around. If they know someone, good, if not, then ask who might know. The ones selling an old TV or TV-related items are the most likely to have good leads. But a lot of guys know someone who knows someone..., even if they aren't displaying any television sets. Bruce, for example, has lots of radios for sale at his "Radio Orphanage" table, but his interests also include TVs. If he's not too busy selling, he's always ready to talk old electronics.

If you're a shy person like I am, this all can be a challenge, but it is worth the effort!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 11:58 am 

Back in the old days manufacturers gave their sets names, this model is called "The Mayflower"Shareit app vidmate app

PostPosted: Mar Mon 02, 2020 10:17 pm 

I've still had no luck really getting the help I need to learn how to restore a TV.

If anyone can assist real time, please let me know.

Otherwise this is just going to sit and rot in pieces, and eventually get thrown away.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:20 pm 

May want to start a thread on videokarma.org. A portion of the TV collecting community only goes there, and another portion is Facebook only. The more people you reach the more likely someone local can help you.

Some of us can give advice real time outside of work hours, but not in person due to distance...

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:42 pm 

Jon,

I don't claim to be an expert in old television repair, I've done only two. One was a Zenith porthole similar to yours and the other a 1948 Stromberg Carlson, and both were successful. I'm located at the northern edge of the state, in Tyngsborough, so around an hour and a half from you.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number and e-mail address, and if you want, I'll try to walk you through my approach to these things. They're a bit more complicated than a radio, a few more circuits, but you can break it up into sections as you work on it. If you've done a radio or two, you've got a good start. The same components, just more of them.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mar Tue 10, 2020 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the offers of help.

As some vintage computers are landing on my pile of hobby things to work on, interest in an impossible for me to fix TV is fading. It was cool when I found it, I had a desire to have an old TV to play around with, but all I found was a pile of old rotting electronics that I can't do anything with.

I think I could be convinced to part with this.

I'm not really interested in selling for money yet. There's a part of me that still wants to hold on to this to get around to someday. But, for the right addition to my collection, I could be convinced to trade it. I'm particularly interested in finding some vintage 80s computers at the moment. I know 40s TV and 80s computers aren't exactly in the same ballpark of collecting/interest....but if someone who wants the TV happens to have a vintage computer kicking around in their basement that they think would make a good trade, hit me up. I'm particularly looking for a ComputerLand BC88 with monitor at the moment....which is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack, so at this point I'm asking around anywhere/everywhere I guess, including antique TV forums, lol.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 12:43 pm 

Perhaps you might consider trading it for a vintage/antique tv that is restored and working ?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 2:03 pm 

Yes, I might. Do you have something in mind?

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2020 10:35 pm 

well i guess we could talk about this via email , i will send a private message

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next