Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 05, 2019 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LOOKING FOR MULTIPLE WORKING TV'S FOR STAGE SET
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 4:10 pm 

Hello! I'm new to this forum. This site was recommended to me as a potential source to find some stage props I'm looking for on behalf of my daughter. Looking for retro style, working tv's to stack on a stage that can be programmed to work from a computer to project the same images. This is beyond my technical prowess so any advice is greatly appreciated!!! I am from Canada but can ship to a New York address or pick up in the New York & Pennsylvania area. An image of what I'm looking to attain is attached. Thank you in advance to anyone who has any advice, leads or suggestions! Much appreciated.

Attachments:
TVimage1.png
TVimage1.png [ 306.83 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Post subject: Re: LOOKING FOR MULTIPLE WORKING TV'S FOR STAGE SET
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 7:51 pm 

All but the newest CRT sets made were NOT designed to accept input from any recent computers. Some high end sets made in the last 20 years support DVI or HDMI, but older sets only accept composite video or RF. You may be able to get around that with a HDMI to composite adapter. Some computers windows Vista era and older had S-Video outputs on their video cards which can drive composite video with an adapter cable. Sets that are RF input only you will need a RF modulator to convert composite video to RF.

Most of the sets in your picture are 80s-2000s sets that the vast majority of TV collectors and the general public consider garbage. Sets that new your best checking local curbs, Ewaste facilities, small off brand thrift stores, and the free posts on Craigslist, Kiijii, offer up and the like.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 9:56 pm 

http://www.harryposter.com/vintagetelevision.htm

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:13 pm 

Hey that's my Sony bottom right. Unobtainium module quit at age 7. Good sound, internal enclosed speakers.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 1:05 pm 

If you find a bunch of working TV's like that, you can use the HDMI output from a computer to feed an HDMI-to-NTSC AV video converter which, in turn, can feed a high level video-to-RF modulator which can, in turn, feed a number of splitters whose outputs can be connected to the antenna input of each TV. Tune each TV to the channel produced by the modulator and you will have the same picture on each TV.

I've used this HDMI converter and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-C ... 153&sr=8-5

This is the type of high level modulator that is needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pico-Macom-PCM ... Sw0Lha8IDw

First feed a 2-way splitter then feed two of these and you can have 16 TV's with the same picture. Use more splitters if needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-output-Cable ... 0005.m1851

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 1:33 pm 

THANK YOU TO those that sent links to help me accomplish this set design. I really appreciate it!!!!

PostPosted: Oct Thu 17, 2019 5:12 pm 

A big THANK YOU to Dave Doughty for your guidance on my inquiry! It took some time (due to my procrastination and trepidation with electronics) but I sourced the products you recommended, shopped kijiji and Facebook marketplace for tv’s and got 7 tv’s to work with a blu ray player to feed the media. I really appreciate your help! I couldn’t have done it without you. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 19, 2019 12:03 pm 

Glad you had success! It would be great to see a picture of your display.

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Sat 19, 2019 3:35 pm 

I just thought I'd mention the man with stacks of vintage TV's and parts for future reference - Vaughn Rudasill in Deer Park, LI, NY home phone: 631 667-5247. He's a good guy to deal with and has supplied TV's for several big movies.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 2:13 am 

Attached is a photo of the set up with 7 tv’s...I could add one more but my daughter is happy and everything is working! Thank you again for the help. It will look great on a professional stage.

Attachments:

[ Play Quicktime file ] trim.C1A3E4DE-719B-4FF2-BFD6-31AAA61BEBC5.MOV [ 2.39 MiB | Viewed 396 times ]