Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 29, 2020 11:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: admiral bakelite 26r12. is it dangerous to take apart?
PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 5:55 am 

I've been reading old electronics might have some dangerous elements like beryllium oxide or some pieces that retain electrical charge. I wanted to pull out the old guts and do something new inside. Is there anything I should know?

Attachments:
File comment: Picture of tv
tv2.png
tv2.png [ 767.28 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]

Post subject: Re: admiral bakelite 26r12. is it dangerous to take apart?
PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 9:20 am 

Hazardous materials?

Well if you are going to put an LCD in that cabinet, YES! Very dangerous!! Highly carcinogenic Poly-chlorinated biphenyls, Asbestos, no beryllium but the CRT has a high vacuum and can explode if mis-handled, causing shards of glass to be ejected at high velocities.

But there is a way of avoiding all this.

If you promise to restore or have restored the original chassis, we will tell you how to do it safely. You will end up with a much more enjoyable artifact that will increase in value. Put an LCD in it, it becomes worthless.

Yes you can play modern content through a vintage TV. There are lots of people on this site who can guide you, even some who have restored that exact model TV.

But if you want to go the LCD route no-one on THIS site will support you, sorry.

Oh I almost forgot... DO NOT SWITCH IT ON!!!!. There is a procedure for bringing up vintage electronics safely. Not following this procedure can damage hard-to-source parts and jeopardise the restoration.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 11:37 am 

Well, the only reason I have it is because a collector who had restored several other models didn't do anything with this one. I got it for ten dollars leading me to believe it wasn't restorable.

I don't have a plan for what to do with it after I pulled the pieces out which is why I'm seeking information on it. I had assumed the best use of what was inside was to pull the parts out carefully and if there was anything useful I could give them to other people for free in case they may need to restore their own TVs.

Maybe I'm wrong about it being unable to be restored and I would be glad to hear that.

If that isn't a good enough thing to do with this TV for this message board I will seek answers elsewhere

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 12:21 pm 

Sorry if I gave you that impression, my reply was somewhat tongue in cheek...

Hey I'm from Australia and I would KILL to own that TV! They are somewhat rare. Usually the bakelite cases are smashed but yours seems to be complete and unmolested. They are fragile so be careful. You got an incredible bargain IMHO.

It is eminently restorable. If you have to get a new CRT or a flyback transformer even they are available from amongst other places the ETF in Hilliard Ohio.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/monochrome_crts.html

There are many places in the US where you can source parts.
Apart from the COVID-19 situation you are so lucky to be where you are!

As far as the value of the TV, like classic cars, authenticity is everything. Example - if you had a Jaguar XKE in mint condition, how much would it be worth? If it had a small block Chevy in it, what would it be worth then?

Have I convinced you to restore it?

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 12:29 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
irob2345 wrote:
Usually the bakelite cases are smashed but yours seems to be complete and unmolested.

Except for the huge chunk missing from the bottom where you can see thru' to the carpet.....

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 12:42 pm 

You are right but that's an easy repair since it won't be visible.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 1:11 pm 

Allrightey... I will directly answer your question, but PLEASE do not destroy this TV. You might even try placing an ad in the classifieds here and see if someone will actually pay your for it. I'm quite certain you can get way over $10 for it, if someone is within driving distance. If it needs to be shipped, probably not worth it from a purely $$ perspective.

Anyway, the CRT may still have a charge on it, but not likely. To be safe the anode should be shorted to chassis to make sure the tube is discharged. Also, the CRT may, as noted above, implode if cracked, sending glass shards flying everywhere. That is the extent of the danger, as long as you don't plug it in. DO NOT plug it in.

If you want to keep the cabinet, you may still find a home for the innards. If you don't want cash, just post in the classifieds "for free" pickup only. Or something like that.

Personally, I'd take a shot at restoring it if you're into vintage TV. There's no reason why it should not be possible. I suppose, one must assume the CRT is good. If not....... different equation.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 1:36 pm 

I have that model. I also had one as a teenager, back in the 60s.

Here is a link one of the threads on my set. It is easy to restore and produces a nice picture. Repair parts are not that difficult to find if necessary.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83522

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 1:42 pm 

More on the Admiral 26R12...

/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140092

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 4:27 pm 

Here's a video series I created while restoring one: https://youtu.be/MIBSpbicSg4

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 4:44 pm 

I would restore it. Those sets are pretty good. It will last longer than any LCD you put in it. You wouldn't take an old rag-time automatic player piano, and wire up an MP3 player system in it, would you? Same with this television. You wouldn't want to destroy a piece of history. You would fix it up and make it look good, so that people can watch it again.

P.S. I conquer. Finding Parts for the television would be easy. Fixing it too would be easy.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 6:00 pm 

After watching some of the videos provided and what not, I don't have the skills, tools or knowledge to tackle any restoration on my own without most likely damaging it.

I appreciate everyone's passion about this and its been helpful. I bought something outside of my passion area, and I should respect that. If anyone had bought a wonderful piece of wood furniture I would be heartbroken to hear they wanted to paint it.

I bought it to go into my new home which had the original red Formica countertops and I have so far collected a fridge that works from the fifties, a Formica table and chairs, and a wonderful couch and coffee table that all look so wonderful together. I

For now, it will be a conversation piece until I can find someone to help with its restoration or sell to someone who would be able to take care of it.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 24, 2020 6:17 pm 

Post your location, somebody may volunteer to help or restore it.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 25, 2020 1:43 am 

What is your skill set / experience?

Bandersen's videos, while great, and with the greatest respect, make it look harder than it really is. You definitely don't need all the vintage test equipment he uses!

If you can use a multimeter, you can test the CRT without powering up the chassis.

The thrill of bringing something that's been dead for so long, slowly back to life, by yourself, has to be experienced. You will learn a lot and bragging rights will be yours!!

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 12:34 am 

You only absolutely need a $10 DMM, ~$60-100 of capacitors from mouser, the Sam's or riders repair documentation that can be had for under $20 ( which will tell you what caps you need), a roll of solder and a 40W soldering iron....I taught my self how to solder before I was 10 years old, and I'm confident I could teach a monkey how to change capacitors.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 26, 2020 1:15 am 

This is not the place to mention that you're going to gut a vintage TV! :o LOL :D
Those Admirals are great performers and in the hands of an experienced restorer, an easy one to fix. To have someone restore one isn't cheap though. $250-$300. To a true TV collector like myself, I'm glad to pay that to see a classic old set up and running. To do it yourself requires lots of experience. Unlike radios, it will typically require more than a recap and a tube or two. Luckily the damage on the case is on the bottom. I'm sure there's a way to fill that missing piece. lt will never look perfect, but no one will see it. The first Admiral bakelite console, a 10" in 1948 is the prime one to have, but those later one's are pretty cool too and interest TV collectors.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 28, 2020 6:17 am 

Here is a suggestion. if you want to put a flatscreen in the tv, save the original parts so either you or someone else can restore it at a later date. make all the modifications reversible.

no one will tell you because they dont want you to destroy the tv, but the entire chassis and picture tube slide out in one assembly. take off the knobs. remove the bolts under the shelf the chassis sits on. slide it out. be careful however not to drop it, or hit the pciture tube with something. the tube could implode and injure you. be a good idea to wear safety googles, heavy long sleeve shirt and gloves when doing this just in case.