Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy 100 Year Anaversery RCA!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 17, 2019 9:02 pm 

RCA - is 100 years old today. The company that brought TV to the masses, invented the tri-color CRT and made color TV a reality is celebrating its 100 year birthday. The current holders of the trademark even have a commemorative timeline:

http://timeline.rca.com/

Enjoy!

-Matthew

Post subject: Re: Happy 100 Year Anaversery RCA!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 17, 2019 10:02 pm 

7jp4-guy wrote:
RCA - is 100 years old today. The company that brought TV to the masses, invented the tri-color CRT and made color TV a reality is celebrating its 100 year birthday. The current holders of the trademark even have a commemorative timeline:

Enjoy!

-Matthew

Cool.

Though there is a typo. You meant to type current owners of the death mask rather than trade mark right? :mrgreen: RCA as a company has been dead since IIRC 1986 when GE bought them out and gutted much of RCA...I doubt any vestiges survived GE dumping it's consumer electronics onto Thompson.

Post subject: Re: Happy 100 Year Anniversary RCA!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 17, 2019 10:41 pm 

Happy Birthday RCA and thanks to the wonderful and talented people who built these beautiful machines back in the day!

Attachments:
RCA Victor 9W105 front.jpg
RCA Victor 9W105 front.jpg [ 18.29 KiB | Viewed 1291 times ]
RCA Victor SHF6.jpg
RCA Victor SHF6.jpg [ 95.65 KiB | Viewed 1291 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Fri 18, 2019 10:13 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
7jp4-guy wrote:

Enjoy!

-Matthew

Cool.

Though there is a typo. You meant to type current owners of the death mask rather than trade mark right? :mrgreen: RCA as a company has been dead since IIRC 1986 when GE bought them out and gutted much of RCA...I doubt any vestiges survived GE dumping it's consumer electronics onto Thompson.

Some of their records are at the Hagley Museum and Library...

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2019 1:27 am 

The information in the slide show is correct, but after the color tv development, the rest is not so interesting.
The development of the video disk is not a high point for RCA since it was a flop.
What is not said is the awesome way that RCA used patents and legal maneuvers to corral the entire industry.
Its treatment of Armstrong was shameful.
====
Ron

PostPosted: Oct Thu 24, 2019 11:31 pm 

I wouldn't blame the whole company for the atrocities of its President.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Sat 26, 2019 7:19 pm 

1954 introduced the color tv so they show a 60's tv advertisement with ben gazzara , why no pic of the ct-100 ?

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 1:02 am 

The invention of RADIO BROADCASTING will be 100 years as of November 2020. Television is "radio with pictures" :)

Keeping in mind the pieces were kicking around as wireless apparatus was available in the early 1900's. During WW1 Civilians couldn't buy Wireless / Radio stuff until after the war.

RCA was a Federal Government creation and GE and Westinghouse made most of the radios, (there were others).

David Sarnoff was brutal to his competitors.

RCA eventually bought Victor Talking Machine Co and turned it all into furniture.

I watch my RCA 621TS TV set every Sunday morning.

Hard to believe this stuff we collect is becoming 100 year antiques.

Jim

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 1:12 am 

I thought the Camden NJ plant that was Victor Talking Machine Co. later became the factory for manufacture of radios as before then, GE and Westinghouse made them for RCA.

RCA let Victor continue as it had been until the antitrust suit, then GE and Westinghouse couldn't manufacture radios for a few years. GE eventually went back into manufacture of their own radios, but Westinghouse sold rebranded American Bosch radios and maybe a couple others until after WWII.

GE was the company who formed RCA at behest of the U.S, Government.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 4:18 pm 

I had occasion to attend training in the Camden NJ building for RCA's TK-76 TV camera during the 1970's. The lobby had been panelled such that a lobby with glass windows enclosing what looked like 1930's 40's RCA broadcast equipment on display had been blocked from view.

All of the hardware in the building was marked "Victor Talking Machine", like alarm pulls, door handles and other things. I had lunch in the Nipper Grill, Cafe, (don't recall), all of the silverware had the nipper dog logo.

I grew up working on RCA radio and television equipment as well as radios and TV's.

It should be noted the virtually all Television Broadcast Equipment is for the most part not manufactured in the Unites States. Transmitters from Canada, Antennas from Italy, Computers from China, all so you can sit back and watch TV on your Samsung, or LG from South Korea.

Jim

Last edited by jimmc on Oct Tue 29, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 4:51 pm 

battery-maker wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:
7jp4-guy wrote:

Enjoy!

-Matthew

Cool.

Some of their records are at the Hagley Museum and Library...

I meant nothing remains in terms of functioning US business/manufacturing units... I've already heard of what became of their historical literature.

Zenith as recently as 5 years ago still had operating facilities in Chicago...

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 5:42 pm 

The Salt Lake City TV station I was Chief Engineer of until 1998 had posession of one of the 1939 World Fair TV exhibits back in the 1940's and used the Iconoscope cameras when they went on the air in 1948.

I owned one of the TRK-12 TV's that was part of that exhibit. Apparently there were several of the displays in several major RCA markets during the fair exhibit. My memoribillia is on display with the Early Television Foundation.

We currently have possession of the last UHF TV transmitter installed by RCA in 1986. Analog and will never transmit again.

I would not add any RCA history after 1986 as the RCA I knew was gone after 1986.

I still prefer RCA old stock tubes.

Jim

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 3:40 am 

jimmc wrote:
We currently have possession of the last UHF TV transmitter installed by RCA in 1986. Analog and will never transmit again.

I don't know what model of RCA transmitter you have, but if it can be moved to a viable channel after the re-pack, you could drive it with a new exciter and it should transmit HDTV just fine. However, you are probably correct; tube transmitters are going the way of the dodo. For not much more money than a new exciter and a frequency move would cost, you could buy an all solid-state transmitter... which would be way easier on the power bill.

I used to baby-sit the transmitters for KCBS-TV (formerly KNXT) in the Los Angeles market. I helped end an era.... I personally pushed the power off button (not plate off as the channel 2 transmitters were solid-state Larcans by that time) that ended the last NTSC transmission by CBS in the Los Angeles market. We had been on the air more or less continuously for more than 50 years. Sigh... I miss the good old days.

Regards,

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 3:47 pm 

It is an RCA TTU-110, three Klystrons.

We recycled the high voltage Beam Supplies and heat exchanger. This transmitter was steam cooled (vapor phase).

I personally activated the OFF mode that fateful date in 2009.

This transmitter is tuned for channel 45 and I doubt it will tune below 36 which is as high as TV channels can go.

The current digital, 8VSB transmitter makes one million Watts ERP on chanel 26 and it uses tubes called IOT (inductive output tube). Should be noted that the IOT's are about to turn 50,000 hours of 24 X 7 Television broadcasting.

Jim

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 10:13 pm 

I've been away from TV broadcasting too long - never heard of IOTs.
I did work with the TTU-110s a little when I was a co-op student at RCA Meadowlands in the late 1960s. All of us in the factory hated hearing that 55KW Bird reject-power load running -- the cooling compressor made the most gawdawful racket.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 11:15 pm 

Greetings to Jim and the Forum:

I am quite familiar with IOT's. I've changed out several of them. When KCBS and KCAL went to HDTV, the transmitters were Harris Sigma CD++. KCBS ran two cabinets with a "magic T" combiner, while KCAL ran a single cabinet. They used EEV IOTD2100B tubes:

Attachment:
e2v_0623.jpg
e2v_0623.jpg [ 61.22 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]

Attachment:
IOT D2100.jpg
IOT D2100.jpg [ 5.06 KiB | Viewed 804 times ]

Forced liquid cooling with 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water mix. Liquid cooled dummy and reject loads as well. There was a body cooling jacket and a collector cooling jacket. 35KV at about 1.3 amps as I recall (800 mA idling current). The collector and body were at ground potential; the filament, grid and ion pump ran at -35KV.

The Harris people who did the installations told me that "You're not a real UHF transmitter engineer until you've taken your first glycol shower". Although one of the Harris guys did exactly that during the installation, I managed to avoid anything more than gettings my hands wet, so I guess I'm not a real UHF engineer. :D

Regards,

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 12:19 am 

The early UHF transmitters used Klystrons for Power Amplifiers . In the case of the TTU110 there were three Klystrons, For Visual two were required at 50 kW each into a Magic T combiner with the third for Aural at 10 kW (10% aural power). That transmitter remains installed and connected to an antenna. No high voltage, no cooling. Used Distilled water for cooling as it was boiled to steam.

The IOT and Klystrode are later inventions and came about with the last analog but going to digital transmitters. These are all an electron beam into a collector type tube and I believe they were the the work of Stanford and Varian from the WW2 research. They burn a lot of electricity to run infomercials these days.

I got my babtism of glycol while looking for coolant in a tank that had been frothed into foam by the pumps and was all trapped in the heat exchanger. I was in cutoffs and a T shirt and all the glycol suddenly condensed and gushed out the 3 inch fill port.

To conserve power we modulated the beam current on the klystron to make full powr during tip of sync and the lower power during active video. (called a modulating anode). This was quirky and most stations gave up and ran full power and paid the bill.

The scarryist parts of a TTU110 is when the two massive mechanical contactors drop out during an overload. With IOT's we use a "crowbar tube" to protect it from overloads. When the crowbar fires it drops a dead short across the 35,000 volt beam supply which has to suffer the overload until contactors drop out. Three times in a row sometimes.

Jim

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 4:11 am 

Greetings to Jim and the Forum:

Yes... ordinary klystrons run class A and aren't known for their efficiency. The engineers came up with a lot of techniques to help out.... I haven't heard of the one you mentioned, but I believe that there was one transmitter that employed a second tube just to transmit the sync... sort of a Dougherty scheme. Then there was the MSDC (Multi Stage Depressed Collector) klystron where they attempted to reduce the wasted beam energy by having a stepped collection process that used less voltage for lower power parts of the picture.

The IOT was able to run AB1 or 2 and so got better efficiency.... but I believe they are on their way out... when I left, KCBS had a Harris Diamond all solid-state UHF transmitter as its backup rig. It made less power than the Sigmas, but that was only because CBS didn't buy the highest power configuration.

As far as a crowbar event was concerned, that was exciting enough for me. Here's the tube used in the Sigma transmitters:

Attachment:
CX2708 Thyratron (Harris Sigma Crowbar).jpg
CX2708 Thyratron (Harris Sigma Crowbar).jpg [ 78.57 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]

We had a test rig made by Harris to test the crowbar circuit. It consisted of a neumatic cylinder made out of PVC pipe with a loose fitting piston that had a copper cap on the end. The copper cap was connected to a ground lead with flexible braid. Directly above the piston was a fixed contact. This was connected to a test lead by means of a #30 or so wire stretched for a few inches between two posts. The test lead was connected to the HV buss downstream of the crowbar circuitry and the ground lead was connected to the chassis. There was about 15 feet of plastic tubing connected to a large rubber collapsible cylinder like a squeeze bulb except that it was made to be stepped on. The interlocks were defeated so the leads could be run into the transmitter and the beam supply was turned on. With the transmitter operating normally, you were supposed to stomp on the rubber bladder (from 15 feet away). This forced the piston up into contact with the fixed contact and shorted the 35 KV to ground by way of the #30 wire. If the crowbar circuit was working properly, the beam voltage would be removed before the #30 wire could vaporize. If the #30 wire went up in a puff of smoke, it was time to trouble-shoot the crowbar circuit. What fun... NOT! :D

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:45 pm 

My entire family was born and raised in Camden. My great grandfather, Walter Derry Toms, sold his foundry/ machine shop to Eldridge Johnson in the late 1890's, rather than accept a partnership with him to produce the new fangled phonographs. Thus I am not rich...and that was the first fish to get away. Second fish is the prototype phonograph Johnson gave my great grandfather as a thank you when the property was sold to him. As my grandmother told the story, it got tossed on the trash at their Ferry Ave. home sometime in the late 20's. Victor existed waaay before RCA, and RCA inherited some of the Victor buildings in downtown Camden. I was in all of them as a child....Many relatives worked for both companies.

Mark

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 9:33 pm 

Hello Matthew,
thanks for sharing that link and yes guys I agree Rca to me is 1986 and earlier that is the stuff I enjoy working on and collecting.

Rca built some great stuff in its day .

Sincerely Rich