Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 08, 2020 11:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Admiral 17t11: I think I have a bad 7jp4
PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 6:48 pm 

Just finished restoration of an Admiral 17t11. Picture and sound work fine. Vertical/horizontal sync work fine. High voltage is right where it should be at 6kv. I am fortunate to have a high-voltage probe, which reads 2kv on the 2kv crt pins, and 6kv on the 6kv crt pins. My problem is a dim, washed-out picture. Advancing the brightness causes blooming and eventual smear-out of all picture detail. I tried connecting pins 1-14 to a 2 amp DC power supply. I advanced the DC filament voltage from 6.3v to 8v DC. That helped a little, but is no cure. I don't have a crt tester/rejuvenator that works on electrostatic crts. I don't have a spare 7jp4 to substitute. These seem like classic crt failure symptoms. I've read that filament boosters & rejuvenation don't work on these crts. So, presuming I need a crt, where do I find one? Does someone want to sell one? Or should I just part-out the set? Suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Admiral 17t11: I think I have a bad 7jp4
PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 7:23 pm 

Guess the crt is now a moot point. I just sold the cabinet. That's ok; I was never a fan of electrostatic TVs. Too finicky!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 9:24 pm 

Wow, that was fast. Less than an hour from "I need a CRT" to "cabinet is sold" :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 9:41 pm 

With luck you'll turn up a RCA 621TS...the crt in those is better. Heavy set though. Craig

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 9:57 pm 

you still have the chassis?

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 1:34 pm 

I still have the chassis. Lots of good parts. Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 25, 2019 2:50 am 

mstamper wrote:
I still have the chassis. Lots of good parts. Anyone interested?

PM SENT

PostPosted: Nov Tue 26, 2019 8:35 pm 

analog.tv wrote:
With luck you'll turn up a RCA 621TS...the crt in those is better. Heavy set though. Craig

Here's one on ebay. A bit pricey: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s- ... Sw2H1dnxnm

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 4:22 pm 

stuben wrote:
analog.tv wrote:

Here's one on ebay. A bit pricey: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s- ... Sw2H1dnxnm

Known throughout the community as "the pool table guy", very overpriced on everything, and sometimes some mysterious and strange bidding goes on.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 7:33 pm 

edison64 wrote:
Known throughout the community as "the pool table guy", very overpriced on everything, and sometimes some mysterious and strange bidding goes on.

He offers shipping with good packing so I guess he is able to sell some, though he is not killing it. Seems like a nice guy. I have spoken to him several times thru Ebay message system. He purchased 2 original RCA 630TS back covers from me earlier this year. I know he travels up the East coast and purchases sets from big collectors to bring back to FL. Seems like a loosing proposition, and he hints that that is the case.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 7:48 pm 

Scott wrote:
edison64 wrote:

He offers shipping with good packing so I guess he is able to sell some, though he is not killing it. Seems like a nice guy. I have spoken to him several times thru Ebay message system. He purchased 2 original RCA 630TS back covers from me earlier this year. I know he travels up the East coast and purchases sets from big collectors to bring back to FL. Seems like a loosing proposition, and he hints that that is the case.

I do give him credit, he does have some very desirable sets and they're in decent condition to and as you say I can't imagine he got them for almost nothing. Unfortunately this hobby is usually a lose-lose situation LOL nobody wants to pay top dollar for anything. if you advertise a set the first thing you usually get is someone already trying to lowball because they're claiming the CRT is bad or its unchecked or this or that. I must say if I did have the cash I would definitely be interested in a couple of his sets but at this point in time that's just a dream LOL

PostPosted: Nov Wed 27, 2019 8:05 pm 

edison64 wrote:
Scott wrote:
edison64 wrote:

I do give him credit, he does have some very desirable sets and they're in decent condition to and as you say I can't imagine he got them for almost nothing. Unfortunately this hobby is usually a lose-lose situation LOL nobody wants to pay top dollar for anything. if you advertise a set the first thing you usually get is someone already trying to lowball because they're claiming the CRT is bad or its unchecked or this or that. I must say if I did have the cash I would definitely be interested in a couple of his sets but at this point in time that's just a dream LOL

All I can say is I have dealt with Don and never will again.