Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 14, 2020 12:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: sony micro tvs. a pain in the rear. 5-303 no raster.
PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 1:36 pm 

Attachment:
0656_3n.pdf [5.39 MiB]
Downloaded 77 times
i ended up with 6 of these buggers. 4 models of the 5-303 and 2 of the 5-307 model. one 303 is parts, as its all corroded from mouse pee. one of the 307s work, as someone partially recapped the delection board. i have at least 2 of the 303 models with working deflection boards from replacing a capacitor or two, eventually a full recap.

i have 2 dead deflection boards. one is officially a parts donor now. 2 shorted transistors, and i stole another transistor off it trying to resurect one on the other boards.

that board had no deflecton at all. i replace the electrolytic caps. i found the horiz buffer 2sd65 transistor shorted. i think the horiz blocking tranformer is shorted or open. all the waveforms on the schematic around the horiz hold and horiz frequency pots dont look like whats on the schematic. ill have to go back to this and record voltage readings for further troubleshooting.

thinking ill keep the one 307 that is working, and one of the 303s since a full recap should keep the other deflection board working

Post subject: Re: sony micro tvs. a pain in the rear. 5-303 no raster.
PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 5:00 pm 

I have a similar collection of those in approximately the same state to work on.
You pretty much should know what they would be like to work on by what they look like.
Early transistors were less reliable and more easily damaged that later technology.
Also if they have been chewed on all bets are off anyway!

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 7:18 pm 

Those were an unreliable nightmare even when they were new.

One shop I worked in at the time had a bench tech dedicated to only those little solid state sets and he always had more than enough of them lined up to work on. We would often hear him carrying on and swearing, and he'd appear out of his little room with a handful of bad parts he'd just replaced in one set. It was rarely ever only one part that failed. Multiple parts were the norm and those little transformers were easily damaged.

I probably have a few of those early solid state sets around, but they would look nice just as a static display. Not everything has to work, and not everything is even worth restoring unless someone wants to do it just for the educational value.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 8:40 pm 

you are right. not everything needs to work, and i do have a couple that are working. but it would be nice to figure it out.

If you take x19 the Hriz out 2SC140 I have 14v on the collector, and 0 volts on base and emitter. x20 the 2sD65 transistor was shorted, also making the horiz blocking xformer hot. Ive since replaced the 2SD65 with a pull from another set. i am not measuring anything on any terminal of the HBT. If i go closer to the sync takeoffs, I get goofy waveforms. at this point with my limited knowledge of tv and even transitor theory, i guess im throwing parts at it. Talon has HBTs in stock. going to order on replace it, see what happens. it gonna work, i replaced all the elctrolytics on this board. maybe i ought to just transplant all the horizontal transistors from the other board where i cant get vertical deflection. i have a horizontal line so at least on tht one i the horiz is running

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 11:17 pm 

Have you replaced all the electrolytic caps on the board that handles the vertical and horizontal sweep?

With my 5-307, I had a few caps bad which caused hardly any vertical deflection.

I at the time maybe 15 years ago just replaced what got it working.

Late last year I replaced the rest of the electrolytic caps and ALL resistors on the deflection board.

Made a big difference.

Also on my 5-307 I just had the horizontal output transistor go bad.

If after you recap and re-resistor the whole board you have any horizontal linearity issues near the top or you have to adjust the horizontal sync when the TV is first turned on and again after the TV has warmed up the transistor may be on its way out. That was the symptoms my TV gave before it slowly started not being able to horizontally sync then it finally quit.

Did I ever send you the manual for the 5-307?

I do know that this TV is sensitive to line voltage variations as a variation in the line voltage will somewhat affect the sweep circuitry.

Also the selenium rectifier will need to be replaced with a bridge rectifier. At least I had to do that with mine to get the B+ to 12 Vdc.

I do have a question.

On your 5-307 if it is working enough to produce an acceptable display, when you turn up the brightness full, does the picture start to lose focus?

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Those were an unreliable nightmare even when they were new.

One shop I worked in at the time had a bench tech dedicated to only those little solid state sets and he always had more than enough of them lined up to work on. We would often hear him carrying on and swearing, and he'd appear out of his little room with a handful of bad parts he'd just replaced in one set. It was rarely ever only one part that failed. Multiple parts were the norm and those little transformers were easily damaged.

Agreed. I had to replace a couple caps on the deflection board when I got my 5-307 and in order to get the picture its best I had to basically recap and re-resistor the whole deflection board. Also the board connector is a nightmare as if you remove the board more than a few times the springy solder pins on the back start to break off leaving no cloice but to solder the wires straight to the board.

Mr. Detrola wrote:
I probably have a few of those early solid state sets around, but they would look nice just as a static display. Not everything has to work, and not everything is even worth restoring unless someone wants to do it just for the educational value.

With mine I modded it to accept a NTSC composite video input and it sometimes gets used as a second display for my laptop. Did that because I had it laying around since the analog TV days were gone and I don't like having things around I cannot use.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 11:32 pm 

Yes, one the board im trying to troubleshoot i did replace all the electrolytics. I wasnt working before i recapped it. After i recapped it, it still had no raster, and the 2SD65 transistor was hot and so was the Horizontal Blocking xformer. Replaced the 2sd65 with a pull from another board. I have no voltage at all on any pin of the HBT. So, im wondering if the shorted 2sd65 also took out the HBT.

I have 4 deflection boards to play with from a 303. One is the older style, which has now become a parts donor. So out of the three later style deflection boards, one needs troubleshooting, one is working with a few replaced electrolytics, and the other works, needing recapping, but it came out of a tv that was a mouse house, so i wouldnt trust it to work long with the minor corrosion from the mouse pee.

PostPosted: May Sun 03, 2020 11:42 pm 

Perhaps you can take the good transformer from that board and replace the defective one unless you don't trust it due to mouse pee.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2020 12:05 am 

THANK YOU for posting the manual for this TV! I didn't have a copy before.

I bought mine on Fleabay many years ago. It's the Australian version, 13 channel tuner including Ch's 0 and 5A. Mine works perfectly, never had to do anything to it.

Australia used to have a tariff wall on complete radios and TVs in those days to protect local industry. To get around this, Jacoby Mitchell, Sony's local agent, would import these TVs partially assembled, less the speaker. A locally made Rola speaker was then fitted. I first thought it was a service replacement, but no.

Sounds like they are not rare in the US either....

Yes, when you turn the brightness up, it does defocus a little.

Back in the late 60s one of these would sometimes appear at the service company for which I worked. I never found them difficult to troubleshoot or repair, they are really a very straightforward design, but then I was doing my E&C Certificate at night in those days and I had a good knowledge of SS technology. Which is probably why most SS TVs landed on MY bench!

Oh yes, mine still has all the original caps and appears to never have been repaired.

Re old electros, I have an Aussie Philips transistor radio from 1957. All original Aussie-made parts, including yellow-sleeved Ducon electros and black-painted glass transistors (OC44. OC45, OC71 etc) in rubber grommets in the chassis. Still a very strong performer, gets used to listen to ABC Newsradio (rolling news network) daily.
Case is leather on fibreboard, chassis is steel, point to point wired, no PCB.

PostPosted: May Mon 04, 2020 12:25 am 

irob2345 wrote:
Yes, when you turn the brightness up, it does defocus a little.

Thanks.

PostPosted: May Fri 08, 2020 4:11 pm 

I was able to ressurect one of the dead deflection boards.

No raster, so no horizontal. I found the horizontal buffer 2SD65 shorted. Replaced with a good one from another board. It was also overheating the Horizontal Blocking Transformer. Talon Electronics had some in stock. Ordered one. I replaced it because the resistance readings of the old part were off from the replacement. So shorted, i guess. Replaced that. Still no horizontal. Scoped the output transistor. Nothing. Took out the output and driver transistors. Found the driver 2SC140 shorted. Replaced with a 2SC97A. After i bridged one of those ceramic type electytics, the horizontal was stable. The 1mf at 10v must be open. I still have some vertical foldover at the bottom, but i think after o replace all 5 of those ceramic type electrolytics the issue will go away.