Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Well, this might have been a mistake!
PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 8:37 pm 

I broke a reasonably good rule and bought a Locomotive "kind of" sight unseen (i got a few pictures). Even better, it was marked "untested". I only spent 60 dollars so my hope is even if the crt is bad there is enough there to get my money out of it. I can't do a real inspection until Thanksgiving as my sister picked it up for me as it was near her home and I'll be visiting her over the holiday. The cabinet looks to be good condition and had no notable cracks/breaks. What version do you think this is? The label under the chassis has been conveniently removed. The only thing I can tell from reading is it is not a 10t6 as it doesn't have the Double D mask....I think.

Attachment:
loco1.jpeg
loco1.jpeg [ 90.57 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

Attachment:
loco2.jpeg
loco2.jpeg [ 291.89 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

Attachment:
loco3.jpeg
loco3.jpeg [ 410.86 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

Attachment:
loco4.jpeg
loco4.jpeg [ 489.19 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

Andy

Post subject: Re: Well, this might have been a mistake!
PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 10:19 pm 

That is a "double-D" mask, so it's likely a 10T1 or 10T6 model.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 10:40 pm 

ok thanks.
I guess I misunderstood how to recognize the double d difference. How do you determine the Double D by only photograph?

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 10:58 pm 

So the Double D mask describes the shape of the front of the Bakelite cabinet in the shape of 2 D's, not the white surround being somehow double the size from one version to the other. I think the inclusion of the word mask got me. I was never accused of being the brightest apple in the bunch.

I had an instructor that used to say "Sometimes insight is a slow or lengthy process". I always felt he was looking directly at me while saying that. The above might help support that notion.

Andy

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 11:23 pm 

It's not with the cabinet itself, but with the window opening in the mask around the CRT .

A "double-D" mask resembles a circle with the top and bottom cut off making them flat, but leaving the sides rounded.

Attachment:
dd mask.jpg
dd mask.jpg [ 25.22 KiB | Viewed 680 times ]

It's as if he CRT face resembled a backwards D and a forward D placed together. This is as opposed to a rounded corner rectangular mask that is flat on all four sides. The two locomotive sets below are "double-D" on the left, "rectangular" on the right.

Attachment:
GE locos.jpg
GE locos.jpg [ 237.43 KiB | Viewed 680 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 11:38 pm 

So even when I am wrong I am wrong! Egad!

Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I now see the difference clearly. But if I may isn't it a a "db" vice a "double d"....just trying to find a way to seem less dense.

Back to the original idea I was scratching at. With 60.00 invested in the set is the much of a chance that the remaining parts would have at least 60.00 if I tried to recoup. I think it may not matter as I really do love the looks of it so it could be displayed and still have the right value to me.

Andy

PostPosted: Oct Sun 27, 2019 11:46 pm 

Govee wrote:
But if I may isn't it a a "db" vice a "double d"....just trying to find a way to seem less dense.

I'd hate to change the conventional name of this at this late date. That would just lead to more confusion from others.

Govee wrote:
Back to the original idea I was scratching at. With 60.00 invested in the set is the much of a chance that the remaining parts would have at least 60.00 if I tried to recoup. I think it may not matter as I really do love the looks of it so it could be displayed and still have the right value to me.

Don't part it out. Restore it, display it, or pass it on to someone that will.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 1:12 am 

Govee wrote:
So even when I am wrong I am wrong! Egad!

Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I now see the difference clearly. But if I may isn't it a a "db" vice a "double d"....just trying to find a way to seem less dense.

Andy

dB or decibels is a common electrical measure of signal strength.... using it for cosmetic cabinet description would frustrate the more technically minded among us.

If you don't plan to flip it and can pick up in person here in the Milwaukee suburbs I have spare 10BP4s and Spare 12LP4s that I could sell.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 1:44 am 

Agreed, "part it out" is bad for such a nice piece.

Good to know of a source of crts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 3:21 am 

I found one of those that was overlooked at the ETF convention once....perfect cabinet, new 10FP4, and a pair of early sixties' diodes in the power supply. Otherwise, original. It was $65. I guess others either weren't looking or already had one. Craig

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 3:44 pm 

analog.tv wrote:
I found one of those that was overlooked at the ETF convention once....perfect cabinet, new 10FP4, and a pair of early sixties' diodes in the power supply. Otherwise, original. It was $65. I guess others either weren't looking or already had one. Craig

Mine kinda came to me that way too...these are not super common in great shape, but there are enough out there that if you have to have one you can without too much trouble so most folks that have to have one do, and folks like me who'd like one and pay attention eventually stumble on one for a good price.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 28, 2019 3:52 pm 

I have the rounded square mask version. A beautiful set when polished out to a high shine. It's also one of the best playing vintage TV's I have. The picture and sound is as solid as the cabinet looks with it's metal trim. Having said that, the cabinet has weak points that, when handled roughly, will crack. Places near the top grill and where there's small rivets on top. Sometimes the whole top grill area is broken out.