Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Westinghouse H892T17 B&W TV Restoration
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 2:43 am 

I posted photos in the Antique Radio Discussion section, under the title "2nd Score in 2 Weeks". To refresh, the 1st score was an Atwater-Kent Model 55 Kiel Table for $40. All tubes present, small tear in the speaker cone. Brought it up to working voltage with the variac, and it's picking up dozens of stations, even with the crappy aerial zig-zagging in my living room!

The 2nd score was 3 B&W televisions for $150: a Garod Model 10ZT1/2 Combination TV/AM/FM radio, which I sold for $250; a 1957 GE Model 17T027 Portable, which has a dead picture tube; and finally, a 1956 Westinghouse Model H-892T17 Table-Top. I thought the picture tube was dead; it tested bad with my B&K Prec. Model 400 CRT Tester at the seller's house, but at $25, I couldn't pass it up. I had originally gone to get just the GE, but he pulled out the other 2 and I couldn't say no!

I did a slow power-up via variac on both the GE and Westinghouse. The GE has audio, but the PT is dead. However, when I tested the Westinghouse, I was surprised to get an image on the PT! It's distorted, but it's there!

Anyway, my main concerns right now are loosening the yoke and removing the PT from the chassis. Once that's done, it should be reasonably easy to make replacements. However, it's not readily obvious about how to proceed with either task, and I don't want to damage a working PT or yoke! Anyone have disassembly instructions?

Below are photos of the damaged yoke; other than some sticky residue on the nearby wires, none of the components of the yoke appear damaged. Nothing obviously burnt or shorted. Is that ring some sort of shielding, like layers of foil bonded together and bonded to the plastic? I haven't seen something like it before, but it looks sort of delaminated. If it's shielding, I'll need guidance as to making a new one. At the very minimum, I can wrap the existing ring with something heat-resistant to hold the remainder of the ring in place. A long piece of heat-shrink tubing, cut lengthwise, heated to pre-shrink it, then wrapped around the ring with the ends glued.

In the top photo, there is a piece of metal with 3 screws above and below the PT, holding the yoke in place. There's a band in the 2nd photo held on with a screw. My guess is to loosen that band, and the PT should slip through the yoke. Otherwise, it may be that I need to loosen that band, and remove the 2 plates. The latter doesn't sound right to me; it's holding the yoke in place, and I'd rather not mess with that. If the yoke is free to move, the picture will become tilted.

There does appear to be a coil on the other side of that wall. I can't clearly see if it's part of the yoke or a separate coil; can't really get a good photo of it. I'm hoping it's part of the yoke, and will remain in place and in its current orientation as I slip the PT out.

Thoughts? Any disassembly instructions online?

Post subject: Re: Westinghouse H892T17 B&W TV Restoration
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 2:30 pm 

It looks like the yoke comes out as the chassis does. I would pull the yoke out as far as possible, then pull the chassis out some, and keep going like that. Looks like bad filters there, the vertical is locking on to the power supply hum. I would just put electical tape around the yoke for now. That's a good set to learn on. Craig

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 3:15 pm 

The CRT appears to be mounted to the chassis. If you need to remove the CRT your probably going to have to pull the chassis out of the back of the cabinet, then loosten a mounting band on the front of the chassis/CRT and pull the CRT out the front of the chassis..

Those metal rings on what is left of the back of the yoke are the image centering adjustment magnets, and must be retained.... your best bet is to find a plastic container lid that snappes over the yoke, cut a neck hole in the new part and find a way to hold the centering rings to the outside back of the new yoke cover....the rings need to be able to freely/unlimitedly rotate relative to the yoke and each other.

Early plastic wire tends to sweat it's plasticizer and become sticky, clean with rubbing alcohol or goof off and a paper towel.

By the way please don't abbreviate Picture Tube as PT (most of the read I thought you meant Power Transformer)...The proper term is Cathode Ray Tube and should be abbreviated CRT.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 4:26 pm 

In the picture of the back chassis the tube on the right has a spring around it. What is that for, certianly not shielding ?

PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 7:09 pm 

The CRT is mounted to the chassis, and was very easy to remove the chassis from the cabinet. Unhook the speaker, remove it, then pull the chassis out.

I'll search around for a high-temperature tape to use to keep the ring in place. The ring is two parts, and came apart where the two parts meet (small slot and dimple on the ends to help align the ends when connecting them).

No idea about the spring.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 12:05 am 

Got the tube out. That decayed plastic around the yoke could not be saved, but it's role was more protective than anything else.

Here are some images of the chassis stripped down:

THE CRUX OF THE BISCUIT. Lotta work ahead of me with all of that!!

I'll need to find a way to tie the inside of the yoke to the rest of the body.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 4:48 pm 

indy_kid wrote:
Got the tube out. That decayed plastic around the yoke could not be saved, but it's role was more protective than anything else.

is the apostrophe :mrgreen:

That ain't too bad compare to a 630 RCA.

The yoke has large voltage spikes and a lot of current on it, and centering is supposed to be adjusted with the set running... You really ought to construct some sort of plastic cover to protect your self from potentially life threatening shock...
I had to rebuild a yoke cover that rotten on a set before .http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t= ... ola+21ct2b
You just need to find a plastic container the right diameter and do some crafting...in my case a 1 gal plastic paint bucket from Ace hardware did the trick.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 8:43 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
indy_kid wrote:

is the apostrophe :mrgreen:

That ain't too bad compare to a 630 RCA.

The yoke has large voltage spikes and a lot of current on it, and centering is supposed to be adjusted with the set running... You really ought to construct some sort of plastic cover to protect your self from potentially life threatening shock...
I had to rebuild a yoke cover that rotten on a set before .http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t= ... ola+21ct2b
You just need to find a plastic container the right diameter and do some crafting...in my case a 1 gal plastic paint bucket from Ace hardware did the trick.

Thanks for the tip. My concern is finding a plastic that will withstand the heat, as I suspect that's what caused the original to fail.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 9:27 pm 

The original was plastic disintegrated from age and chemical breakdown NOT HEAT...some early plastics were chemically unstable and age weirdly...some knobs grow this white substance , catalin shrinks and develops an off color to it's outer layer, yoke housings get brittle and turn to powder even NOS unused yoke housings. A normal plastic container should suffice.

Last edited by Electronic Memory on Oct Thu 31, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 11:38 pm 

How about some large diameter ABS or PVC from homedepot. You could probably find an end cap or joiner piece that would be close in size and require a minimum of cutting to fit.
Tony

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 11:55 pm 

Bob Andersen has a couple of videos where he makes a new yoke thingy from a yogurt container and in one case a PVC sheet from Home Depot or similar. It was a fairly simple process and worked perfectly.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:40 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
The original was plastic disintegrated from age and chemical breakdown NOT HEAT...some early plastics were chemically unstable

Thought that was a possibility, but just wanted to play it safe. I'll check around Lowes for something that might fit.

I'm familiar with the effects of unstable chemicals in plastics. I used to collect obsolete currency, and about 2 decades ago, someone introduced PVC rigid holders for currency collectors. Very stiff, you could look at the note without worrying about oils or dirt on your hands, etc.

Well, the manufacturer didn't do enough testing with these, and they began to produce an oily residue as the PVC aged. Collectors with pristine notes who hadn't checked their collections in months discovered noted covered in this oil, pretty much destroying any value. Folks lost thousands of rare notes, and some would have been worth 5- or 6-figures. A new PVC holder was introduced using a different formula, and these have proven very stable over time. The folks who had notes damaged by the old holders put the notes into the new holders, then put those in a cool, dry place, hoping that some day, someone will figure out how to remove the oil without causing further damage to the note.

One of the more interesting notes I collected. Bought it off eBay; was 1 of 7 notes. These are known as "Short Snorters", and there's a long history to them. Guys in a unit would all sign each others' notes as keepsakes after the war, going back to at least WW1. Anyway, I looked at the front of this and could make out only two of the names: "Irene Dunne" and "Mynra Loy". Hollywood stars!!! I turned it over and saw this:

Edward, Duke of Windsor, was also known by another title: King Edward VIII of England. "Wallis Windsor" was Wallis Simpson, the American divorcee for whom he abdicated the throne.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 2:37 am 

Did some of the recapping, but there are components that need replacement and I have nothing to work from.

So, anyone have a schematic for the H892T17 (V) model? SAMS does not.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 4:47 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
In the picture of the back chassis the tube on the right has a spring around it. What is that for, certianly not shielding ?

What is that spring around tube for ?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 5:26 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
pauls.ironhorse wrote:

What is that spring around tube for ?

No idea. It's firmly attached to the chassis frame. Might be for support alone, to keep the tube seated when a tech has a hand deeper in the chassis.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 04, 2019 11:56 pm 

The SAMs website does list a H892T17 (SAMS folder 320-1) - https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofac ... STINGHOUSE, if you don't mind paying $15 for it.
I think it's also listed in Riders TV volume 16 (which I have on CD ROM, having fobbed off the hundreds of pounds of paper volumes to some poor soul).

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 12:03 am 

aj2x wrote:
The SAMs website does list a H892T17 (SAMS folder 320-1) - https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photofac ... STINGHOUSE, if you don't mind paying $15 for it.
I think it's also listed in Riders TV volume 16 (which I have on CD ROM, having fobbed off the hundreds of pounds of paper volumes to some poor soul).

I paid the $15, and it turned out to be just a 4-page product bulletin listing many of the Westinghouse models that used a particular tuner, with a schematic of the tuner. I contacted SAMS and complained about it; they refunded my money.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 1:16 am 

I noticed that the SAMS listed the 'T17 and then two 'T17As, with different product numbers, which struck me as a problem. Even more so when the 'T17 is just a little incomplete thing. At least they refunded your payment.

The Riders TV for the H892T17 lists several chassis numbers, and appears to go on for almost a dozen pages. I guess lots of different models used the same Riders pages. Here's the first page: http://tv-boxes.com/misc/WestinghouseH892T17.pdf for reference.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 1:22 am 

I have the one shown in the upper right.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 1:53 am 

I can send you the pages, but since they'd total more than 8 Megabytes it'd take several emails to do. PM me if you're interested.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next