Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Mon 09, 2019 5:22 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 12:06 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 13218
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
I admit that I'm a total novice when it comes to schematics, so I would appreciate if anyone could answer what is likely a simple question to the skilled.
Here's a PDF of the schematics:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/tele ... _90-11.pdf
I see on my chassis, what looks to be a ballast tube is marked as "M3" on the tube chart (below the "TOP VIEW" layout)
My question is that if I wanted to replace this part, what exactly do I search for? The one on the set is missing the metal cover, and although the set works okay (it's was previously recapped), it looks rather dicey.
Thank you for any and all info.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 12:46 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Fri 28, 2006 12:46 pm
Posts: 1163
Location: Düsseldorf/Germany
Hi,
Btw., I own the sam set! :roll:
Please check it if it is the same part like in the 7" Motorolas (VT 71/73).
This will be an easy find for spare parts.
If it is the same, here in this forum is a discussion to take an Ersatz
by using resistors.
I am sure there will be a nice guy today going to send this link soon! :idea:
Good luck!

Regards,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN

_________________
From all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most
ScottyBeamMeUpThereIsNo 4/3-TV/AM OnEarth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 1:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 13218
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN wrote:
Hi,
Btw., I own the sam set! :roll:
Please check it if it is the same part like in the 7" Motorolas (VT 71/73).
This will be an easy find for spare parts.
If it is the same, here in this forum is a discussion to take an Ersatz
by using resistors.
I am sure there will be a nice guy today going to send this link soon! :idea:
Good luck!

Regards,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN

Thanks so much for your response. I have an update - I was able to purchase an NOS metal TBR-104D ballast on the Net and I jumped at the opportunity. The problem is the schematic calls for a TBR-103D. Do you think I'll be okay with this one? I hope so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 1:55 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 14901
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
I don't know if the ballast is the same since it has a different number. I believe that even with the Motorola VT-71, there were variations.

That said, I believe that there were some substitute ballasts made by members here using capacitors instead of resistors. The capacitors did not give off heat as the resistors did.

Question: Wasn't one of the reasons for using a ballast some form of voltage regulation, via nichrome wire?

_________________
Don


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 2:09 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 13218
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Don Cavey wrote:
I don't know if the ballast is the same since it has a different number. I believe that even with the Motorola VT-71, there were variations.

That said, I believe that there were some substitute ballasts made by members here using capacitors instead of resistors. The capacitors did not give off heat as the resistors did.

Question: Wasn't one of the reasons for using a ballast some form of voltage regulation, via nichrome wire?

Yes it was.
I just read an old post on Videokarma where a member stated that he thinks the 102D or 104D will work in place of the 103D. I hope he's right, but I will check with my long-time repairman.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 2:21 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 14901
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
decojoe67 wrote:
...
I just read an old post on Videokarma where a member stated that he thinks the 102D or 104D will work in place of the 103D. I hope he's right, but I will check with my long-time repairman.


Fingers crossed for you. I hope it works.

_________________
Don


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 2:30 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 13218
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Don Cavey wrote:
decojoe67 wrote:
...
I just read an old post on Videokarma where a member stated that he thinks the 102D or 104D will work in place of the 103D. I hope he's right, but I will check with my long-time repairman.


Fingers crossed for you. I hope it works.

Thanks Don. It's a genuine Teletone ballast, so I'm hoping for the best. Finding these seem to be difficult, so I think it was worth taking a shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 3:04 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 172
Location: Greenville, NC 27858
Just search for 'The Ballast Tube Handbook', by Jacobi.
The 104/103 are not the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ballast tube on a Teletone TV-208
PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 3:17 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 17, 2011 11:27 pm
Posts: 13218
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Pearson wrote:
Just search for 'The Ballast Tube Handbook', by Jacobi.
The 104/103 are not the same.

Thank you very much for confirming that. The seller of the tube wrote me and thought the same thing. He will retract my payment. Oh well, what's in the set now works anyway. Many thanks to you guys!


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB