Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 14, 2019 1:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1984 rca xl 100, snowy screen HELP
PostPosted: Nov Sun 10, 2019 2:40 am 

Looking at your first screen photo you definitely have outside interference. In my rural location I have seen this lots of times when using 300 ohm lead and an outdoor tv antenna receiving analog signals. I have also experienced it on vcr hookups using cheap coax cable with push on connectors. The coax must be a good grade, have threaded connectors and the connections must be screwed on tight. Anything less than perfect grounding on the shielded cable between the video source and the tv tuner will allow the interference to creep in.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 4:46 pm 

I would try a better video source (like a DTV box, or VCR) since those old game systems weren't known for providing the best quality signal. It could be interference from something like a fluorescent light, or LED light. It could also be a problem with the connection to the antenna input.

It looks like the sharpness control it turned up way too high. Try turning it down to eliminate the dark shadows around the text.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 11, 2019 11:05 pm 

Does the NES operate properly on another TV set?

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:50 am 

I tested the NES on another television set, it still has interference as the rf switch appears to be bad. I used my Atari 2600 on the 1984 RCA, it has zero interference when you attach the coaxial to the input. I really want to get a DTV box so I can use the television, but I’m unsure of how to set that up.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:38 pm 

The NES has AV output, connect that to an outboard RF modulator (such as the AV input of a VCR) and you should be able to get snow free picture from it.

A DTV box just needs an antenna a remote and some menu setup to scan for channels the manual ( which you should be able to find online with some googling) will explain it...If you are really far from stations you may need an outdoor antenna to get all the stations available to you.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 11:13 pm 

I bought a insignia RF modulator. Connected to both my NES and my VCR that I know for a fact work flawlessly. The picture quality is a million times better but the interference is very choppy on the systems. I’ll post a video to see what y’all think. I also bought a rg6 coaxial cable, the connections are super tight.

Hope to here from y’all soon

Attachments:

[ Play Quicktime file ] DCA21630-2236-4AB0-8224-A4E49B417208.MOV [ 3.3 MiB | Viewed 143 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 11:21 pm 

Here’s the NES interference video

Attachments:

[ Play Quicktime file ] D23AF68D-9754-47DA-91C3-E3A7ECA04761.MOV [ 2.45 MiB | Viewed 142 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:44 pm 

the console is likely generating the interference.
as for the off center image on one of the consoles its timebase is likely off or never was accurate.
and the completely integrated scan/sync chip in these newer sets is unforgiving.
use a good shielded cable and a good switch.
as mentioned these sets had solder joint issues.
you need to resolder not only what is circled above but also the big ground joints that look like they have a staple over them.
repeat in the tuner.
as these aged i saw plenty of solder joints bad in the controller and tuner.
and also resolder the h-drive transformer.
it gets intermittent and is what kills the HOT if the fly didnt.
dont be surprised if you need to replace caps,fix cracked solder,ect in the consoles themselves.
had a 2600 in a while back that the caps leaked so badly the thing stunk.
lots of cleanup but it lived.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2