Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: For RonL
PostPosted: Feb Wed 19, 2020 5:09 am 

Canadian Admiral - 12X16X
Have an this old unit without a case & wonder what you can tell me about it - maybe how interested people could be in it.
It says 25 cycles, is that from before Ontario went to 60 cycles ?

Attachments:
Canadian Admiral - 12X16X.jpg
Canadian Admiral - 12X16X.jpg [ 684.19 KiB | Viewed 1476 times ]

Post subject: Re: For RonL
PostPosted: Feb Wed 19, 2020 4:45 pm 

I've read that parts of Canada were 25Hz into the 70's Canadian TVs 10 years newer are still common to find with 25Hz transformers. There were pockets of the US where 25Hz lasted Midway into the last century too....Heck part of New Yorks electric train systems are STILL 25Hz.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 4:15 am 

The set is probably from 1949-50 possibly 51 but no later. The X at the end of the model indicates it is a Canadian set. The set will also run on 60Hz no problem, it will actually run cooler than a set that was designed for 60 Hz. This is because the transformer is twice as big as the 60Hz model. RonL might have it, he just got some new RCC literature and was able to help me out with some early Admiral sets that he did not previously have. It could also possibly be out of a "combo" set , that maybe why there is no cabinet. Is there a crt in the chassis ? If so ,what size is it.
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 4:36 am 

Here is a side picture & the screen is about a foot around. Wonder what Roto-scope means ?
Some literature would be great. Know anyone interested in this kind of thing it the GTA ?
Don

Attachments:
Canadian Admiral - 12X16X-2.JPG
Canadian Admiral - 12X16X-2.JPG [ 931.7 KiB | Viewed 1347 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 4:40 am 

Here is a link to RonL's thread about Canadian TVs viewtopic.php?f=3&t=292378
I think that a post in that thread would get his attention better than in this thread. He probably receives email notifications about posts in that thread.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 5:38 am 

Roto-scope is the round disk on the "gimble" at the back of the set. you can swivel it around, it adjusts the focus coil around the neck of the tube for the best picture. There would be a cutout in the back panel of the set so you can adjust it without taking the back off. There should be a picture tube number on the neck of the tube, just in front of the bakelite neck connector. There is a ion trap that has 2 adjustable screws, with a blue and black pieces of shrink plastic over it. This is used to deflect the ion beam so it does not burn a dot in the screen. The tube number might be under it. It looks like a 12 " tube, possibly a 12LP4 or maybe a 10" 10BP4.
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Thu 20, 2020 6:09 am 

I believe Rotoscope refers to the antenna built into the top of the cabinet. It would have had a lever sticking out the back you could slide side to side to adjust.

The electron gun is designed to emit both ions and electrons towards the side of the neck. The magnet bends the electrons towards the screen and has little effect on ions.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 2:09 pm 

bandersen wrote:
I believe Rotoscope refers to the antenna built into the top of the cabinet. It would have had a lever sticking out the back you could slide side to side to adjust.

The electron gun is designed to emit both ions and electrons towards the side of the neck. The magnet bends the electrons towards the screen and has little effect on ions.

Bob is correct, the Rotoscope was the antenna in various vintage Admiral televisions. I believe that Admiral also used that name for the pop-up antenna on some early transistor radios that they made.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 7:25 am 

Hi Mississauga C-S. sorry i took so long to respond-haven't been on the forum lately.

i couldn't find that model# in my Canadian tv info.is there a chassis # somewhere on that set? my books go by chassis # mainly.

that set looks like a 50s tv to me, and there was 25hz ac in some parts of Canada in the 50s.

in the future-pls ask on my post (mentioned earlier in this thread) and i will get an email alert. then i can get back to you sooner.

RonL

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 4:47 pm 

It's a 1949 model. They switched to rectangular CRTs in 1950/51. The US chassis number is 20Y1. Not sure about the Canadian version.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 7:20 am 

Thanks for the info bandersen. i do have the 20y1 chassis info in rcc book#1. rcc says model 20x145 to 147 has the 20y1 chassis. chassis layout looks the same as the pictures posted as far as i can tell. schematic indicates either a 10bp4 or a 12lp4-both round picture tubes.
Pls let me know if you want this info Mississauga C-S. i can scan and email to you free.
RonL