Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: STICKY TAPES - practical and working knowledge
PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 12:42 am 

Hey, so ive gotten into the fun hobby of antique media formats and their players and broadcasting equipment. Recently i've been struggling with u-matics. 1/3 of the U-matic tapes i run across have that sticky tape problem. Most of the time i cannot see the damage on the tapes but i can feel it. The tapes are hard to move, even by hand. I've heard about the baking method 130 degrees at 8hrs, and the letting out the tape method. What are some other tips and tricks are useful for dealing with sticky tapes? Also i'm concerned about them ruining my machines. What can they do to old players?

Post subject: Re: STICKY TAPES - practical and working knowledge
PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 4:22 am 

I haven't fixed tapes with that disease, but I know that running them through the machines will pretty rapidly gunk up the heads, so you shouldn't do that.

You might ask the folks at the Museum of Broadcast Technology (http://www.wmbt.org/) in Woonsocket, RI -- they've got a lot of working videotape machines of all sorts and probably have dealt with deteriorated tapes many times.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 22, 2020 4:55 pm 

I've recently been getting into 1/2" open reel video tape (EIAJ), and 90% of the Sony brand tapes from the 70's have this problem. I tried baking them at 140 F for about 6 hours with excellent results. After baking they play smoothly, and there was no damage to the tapes. Before baking, some of them were so sticky they wouldn't play at all. Most would play, but clogged the heads within a few minutes.

Interestingly, the older tapes from the 60's are all fine. I just need to find a Sony CV-2000 compatible deck to play them on.

Playing them won't damage anything, but it can be difficult to clean the mess they leave. The video head tips can get completely encased in oxide and be difficult to clean without risking damage.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 08, 2020 12:29 am 

Sticky video tape is very common especially U-Matic.

In broadcasting we started using 2 inch Quadraplex. We could burn through a Quad head in two passes.

The U-matic tapes don't seem to grind the heads but rather stick to the drum.

I still have a U-Matic player stashed in the garage and all of the old family video I guess I should see if it plays.

The longest lasting media I know of are the old family 8mm movies which I transferred to tape and the tape won't play. Somewhere I have an 8mm projector.

Jim

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 1:38 pm 

I didn't know that video tape suffered from that "syndrome" as well. But I have several ΒΌ" reel-to-reel tapes with that problem. They will gum up the tape path and squeal like a pig. Hope you can salvage what you have. The reel tapes seem to be able to be baked for a period of time in a not-too-hot oven and will play for a few passes. But they fall back into the same problem quickly.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 4:19 pm 

The problem with videotape is the spinning head. The tape is pulled through the transport at a speed like 15 inches per second but the video head is spinning such as in Quadraplex it is 15,000 RPM.

There seems to be no medial that will store for a very long time.

My fathers old 8 mm home movies still go through the projector but the color has faded. I had them copied to VHS tape whch caused a big quality loss and those don't play.

I have some material that I stored on CD-ROM and it won't play.

Let one naked picture get out on the Internet and it will last forever however :)

Jim

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 6:09 pm 

jimmc wrote:
The problem with videotape is the spinning head. The tape is pulled through the transport at a speed like 15 inches per second but the video head is spinning such as in Quadraplex it is 15,000 RPM.

There seems to be no medial that will store for a very long time.

My fathers old 8 mm home movies still go through the projector but the color has faded. I had them copied to VHS tape whch caused a big quality loss and those don't play.

I have some material that I stored on CD-ROM and it won't play.

Let one naked picture get out on the Internet and it will last forever however :)

Jim

Tape is very stable (aside from some early video formulations that get sticky). I have playable Umatic video tapes from as far back as 1973, and I have RTR audio tape and wire recordings from the early 50s still just as good as when recorded. Magnetic media when properly cared for and not ran through ailing machines will last a lifetime. A few years ago they recovered the first color television appearance of a president (Eisenhower) from 1958 off of early quadraplex tape....It is on YouTube and looks excellent...I have a CTC9 Corinthian (same model Eisenhower and a few of his successors kept in the oval office) that I gotta play that on one of these days.

Digital data is all about the backups...if you only have 1 copy odds are you'll loose the data, 2 copies on separate devices you still could lose the data but less likely, hundreds to thousands of copies in the hands of pron afficianados and it is not going anywhere till the apocalypse.