Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 5:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to get rid of a picture tube
PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 1:56 pm 

OK Whats the safest way to get rid of a bad picture tube?

Post subject: Re: How to get rid of a picture tube
PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 2:29 pm 

I can't say about one that still has it's vacuum, but I think the same would apply to one that has lost it's vacuum. I have wrapped one in a few layers of cardboard, then a few layers of bubble wrap. completely containing all the glass area, (use lots of masking tape to seal cardboard and bubble wrap). Then put it in a doubled (even tripled up) garbage bags. I just put it out on garbage day, face down. Once in the back of the garbage truck, if they do compact it, the glass won't fly everywhere and injure anybody. It might go thump, or pop but the lots of wrapping should contain any glass. I have done 2 this way and never had a problem. Just like anything, the more time you take to wrap and protect it, rather than just putting it naked in a garbage bag, the less problems you will have. And that would be just asking for trouble. Make sure there are no weak areas at the seams, like you are shipping it cross country.
Just my 2 cents.
Tony

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 2:40 pm 

Take it to the City of Detroit transfer station, pay $10, maybe, done.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/depar ... nformation

Screw around with the CRT, to avoid paying a disposal fee, get cut, hurt someone else contaminate the environment. Pay fine or worse, face criminal action.

Call the number on the web site...

Last edited by Chas on Feb Mon 24, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 2:56 pm 

Not sure if this is right or wrong, but this is what I did with an old non-working set I had.

I used needle nose pliers to break the evacuation stub in the center of the CRT plug. After the vacuum was released. I put the CRT in a large double cardboard box and broke it into pieces with a sledge hammer (wear PPE). Then I trimmed the box down to reduce its size leaving enough cardboard for sealing flaps, taped it securely, marked it with the words "warning, broken glass" and set it by the curb for the trash man.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 3:28 pm 

If it is rebuildable, consider saving it for that purpose, or donate to someone who could, like the ETF.
Or,
Set it on the curb?

We simply let it got to air by breaking the evacuation tip - the rest of the CRT is just phosphor, some esoteric rare earths, graphite (aquadag coating), some Kovar in the gun, and lead glass (lead is trapped in the glass, much like lead crystal ware from Waterford). Our municipal trash lists CRTs and CRT televisions as acceptable solid waste. They do limit the chemical pesticides, cleaners and paints.....

Check with your municipal waste authority first, obviously.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 4:09 pm 

I agree with processhead, I have done that several times, just remove the plastic socket and nip off the little glass tip. You will hear the air movement. Then you can dispose of it safely.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough
A.Einstein

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 4:47 pm 

The CRT might be able to be re-built in the near future. There is a fellow in the northeast U.S. that has collected the equipment and training and plans to rebuild CRT after his retirement in a few years. All parts of a B/W CRT can be replaced except the glass bulb itself. (The large molds and machinery for the glass is long gone.) The screen in color CRT cannot be remade with any available technique, but the gun can be replaced. You could try contacting the Early Television Foundation Museum.
https://www.earlytelevision.org/

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 5:28 pm 

The electronics Shop I worked in (Naval Shipyard) used to take CRTs and dump them in 55 gallon Barrels. we had a metal cap that fit over the top with a hole in the center, with a long heavy metal pipe or pole, that would smash the Tubes. I think that has now changed because of all the regulation. Where they have to be wrapped in bubble wrap and boxed up and shipped to recycle for disposal.

The other issue was radio type tubes that had radioactive materials, we have have to segregate those and ship them to DROMO for disposal.
This is before 2004 when I retired.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 7:08 pm 

All the suggestions above are valid and utilitarian...

So here are a couple that are silly and fun. Got a lot of land(?), build a trevouchet and use that to fling it to the far corner of your land.... Ever remove stumps with explosives(?), sit the tube on the stump before removing it.... If those are not fun enough consult Whil E. Coyote. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 7:55 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:

So here are a couple that are silly and fun. Got a lot of land(?), build a trevouchet and use that to fling it to the far corner of your land.... Ever remove stumps with explosives(?), sit the tube on the stump before removing it.... If those are not fun enough consult Whil E. Coyote. :mrgreen:

Destroy a stump with implosives?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 8:10 pm 

Chas gave the correct answer - pay to have it recycled.

The EPA says:

"Due to the presence of lead located in the funnel glass, CRTs marked for disposal are considered hazardous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act"

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 8:39 pm 

processhead wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:

Nah, you destroy the stump with explosives along with shattering the envelope of the CRT on the stump...then as soon as the CRT envelope is shattered (assuming you used exactly the right amount of explosives) the implosion of shattering the CRT will suck up and cancel out the explosion of the dynamite so you'll get a shorter bang followed by a sucking sound and the stump will land 5' away with a neatly stacked pile of glass on it...Cause that is totally how physics has to work. :D

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 9:29 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
processhead wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:

Nah, you destroy the stump with explosives along with shattering the envelope of the CRT on the stump...then as soon as the CRT envelope is shattered (assuming you used exactly the right amount of explosives) the implosion of shattering the CRT will suck up and cancel out the explosion of the dynamite so you'll get a shorter bang followed by a sucking sound and the stump will land 5' away with a neatly stacked pile of glass on it...Cause that is totally how physics has to work. :D

Ok, now that you explained it all makes perfect sense to me... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 11:46 pm 

xmo wrote:

The EPA says:

"Due to the presence of lead located in the funnel glass, CRTs marked for disposal are considered hazardous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act"

Odd. Our municipal waste refers to the final 2006 ruling: (ADDED WITH EDIT) https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR- ... 6-6490.htm

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... -tubes-and

1. Who Is Regulated And Who Is Not?

a. Households. Households that dispose of CRTs are exempt from hazardous waste management requirements under [b]40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). They may therefore send their used computer and television monitors to any facility or collector for recycling or disposal without being subject to regulation.[/b]

Current law, referred to above. 40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). The 2006 ruling exempts Households from the below:

(22) Used cathode ray tubes (CRTs) (i) Used, intact CRTs as defined in § 260.10 of this chapter are not solid wastes within the United States unless they are disposed, or unless they are speculatively accumulated as defined in § 261.1(c)(8) by CRT collectors or glass processors. (ii) Used, intact CRTs as defined in § 260.10 of this chapter are not solid wastes when exported for recycling provided that they meet the requirements of § 261.40. (iii) Used, broken CRTs as defined in § 260.10 of this chapter are not solid wastes provided that they meet the requirements of § 261.39. (iv) Glass removed from CRTs is not a solid waste provided that it meets the requirements of § 261.39(c).

Nothing in the 2011 Solid Waste Regulations either:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USC ... chap82.htm

And the 2014 rulings deal with export only - what/how/tracking stuff.

Of course, States and localities can set their own, more restrictive regulations by both incentive and law. Here, dispose of on the curb....

Some Gov't Agencies are also exempt - DoD, NSA and CIA for starters. I was the point man for Avionics HAZMAT (read: Beryllium, Lead Solder, and CRTs) at the Naval Safety Center in 2003 through the first half of 2004. Questions came across my desk so frequently, we had an FAQ page (now buried in .mil access only) that answered all the questions. I picked up the phone and called the EPA on all of the topics and they flooded my inbox with layman's explanations on the big three - and with CRTs, we could dispose of them at sea, or via municipal solid waste programs. Washington state, I recall had some restrictions that we highlighted, but nothing extraordinary - I seem to recall tpackaging and labelling being the issue.

I dunno how our city municipal waste folks treat, process, or dispose of them, but they sure take them. I helped a friend clean out a damaged outbuilding full of CRT TVs last summer. I was the labor, as he's 69 or 70 - we busted the neck on every CRT, and set them curbside. The next morning, he watched the city trash guys load all 50 or so sets into a garbage truck - he still has about 3 times that to dispose of.... :shock:

EDIT: Clarified the 2006 final ruling - my first link was to the proposed rule made in 2002, enacted in 2006.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 1:58 am 

"1. Who Is Regulated And Who Is Not?

a. Households. Households that dispose of CRTs are exempt from hazardous waste management requirements under [b]40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). They may therefore send their used computer and television monitors to any facility or collector for recycling or disposal without being subject to regulation"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that says is that households are not regulated. You are still supposed to recycle them.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 2:09 am 

I have stuck them in a double lined large paper leaf bag, folded the bag down, then wacked the neck area then wacked the sidewalls to break it up a bit more. Then it goes to the curb like many tens of millions before mine.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 2:26 am 

xmo wrote:
"1. Who Is Regulated And Who Is Not?

a. Households. Households that dispose of CRTs are exempt from hazardous waste management requirements under 40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). They may therefore send their used computer and television monitors to any facility or collector for recycling or disposal without being subject to regulation"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that says is that households are not regulated. You are still supposed to recycle them.
Yeppers...
Quote:
a. Households. Households that dispose of CRTs are exempt from hazardous waste management requirements under [b]40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). They may therefore send their used computer and television monitors to any facility or collector for recycling or disposal without being subject to regulation.
What is (part) of this regulation not stated here is the requirement for the waste hauler to be certified as well as the vehicle and such be placarded. That is the exemption for the household...

That said

I realize that some posters are in jest, launching 'waste" with a war machine.

But do not loose site, if the home, then the property gets contaminated, at some time in the future, as a requirement for sale the property, the home will be tested for hazards. This will have to be mitigated to sell, even if the sale does not got through those tests are now public record and will require mitigation.

Not cool...

Very, very expensive to correct...

Not even 3 miles from me a recent discovery of PCB's from the import of waste as land fill has brought the addition of a home to a halt. Test wells dug, the contamination has now covered several homes. The fickle finger of fate ($$$ who is paying) is still rotating, the home owners hope is it points to the town for authorizing the dumping, if it points to the originators of the waste. It may be another hit for Cornell or Aerovox or both... If the town made a mistake it will reflect in our taxes... :(

I am sorry this topic has gone horizontal, but the O.P. may not see the serious consequences of launching such a projectile... :roll:

https://www.heraldnews.com/news/2019032 ... iss-corner

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/bl ... rtmouth-ma

Chas

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 2:33 am 

To be honest, I am more worried about excess disposable plastic packaging in the waste stream than the occasional CRT generated by a household or hobbyist.

With the tiny amounts of lead being vitrified in glass, the risk to the environment is almost nil.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 2:36 am 

I am very concerned that using a trebuchet to launch a CRT across my shooting range is going to contaminate it.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 3:34 am 

xmo wrote:

The EPA says:

I wonder if this applies to old B&W tubes or just color?
Color tubes have a large amount of Lead in them, probably a couple pounds in a larger tube. True it's trapped in the glass, but if you start smashing them in open fields, back lots and whatnot, eventually it's going to degrade and get ground to dust releasing it.

There are literally millions of pounds old CRT's sitting in recycling centers and no easy way to recycle them, extracting Lead from Glass is apparently hard to do.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next