Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 29, 2020 11:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to get rid of a picture tube
PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 4:06 am 

xmo wrote:
"1. Who Is Regulated And Who Is Not?

a. Households. Households that dispose of CRTs are exempt from hazardous waste management requirements under 40 CFR 261.4(b)(1). They may therefore send their used computer and television monitors to any facility or collector [b]for recycling or disposal without being subject to regulation"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that says is that households are not regulated. You are still supposed to recycle them.

OR disposal. Place it in the trash....disposed of. :P

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 4:10 am 

There are probably hundreds of thousands of pounds of lead water lines in the ground. I have dug them up several times. They are just everywhere in older neighborhoods. They have a plastic lining inside them, but the outer structure of the pipe is thick lead.

I am not worried about the occasional CRT that I dispose of.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 4:21 am 

Eric H wrote:
xmo wrote:
Chas gave the correct answer - pay to have it recycled.

The EPA says:

"Due to the presence of lead located in the funnel glass, CRTs marked for disposal are considered hazardous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act"

I wonder if this applies to old B&W tubes or just color?
Color tubes have a large amount of Lead in them, probably a couple pounds in a larger tube. True it's trapped in the glass, but if you start smashing them in open fields, back lots and whatnot, eventually it's going to degrade and get ground to dust releasing it.

There are literally millions of pounds old CRT's sitting in recycling centers and no easy way to recycle them, extracting Lead from Glass is apparently hard to do.

If it degrades in this millennia, it would be by acid leaching. CRTs contain by percentages, less lead (Pb) (19% by weight is what Rauland/Zenith used) than Waterford Lead Crystal goblets, which contain 18–37% lead by weight. You can already get a sense for the dilemma - that crystal-ware is never regulated, but that little 5" color CRT is...... :o

Lead is usually extracted in the melting process by the addition of fluxes that make the lead sink to the bottom of the crucible - sorta the same way float glass floats on tin in the manufacturing process.

With all the damage Phosphates do to the environment and the unlikely leaching of lead, it would seem more apt to regulate the waste based on the phosphor content, but all Lead is bad....... :wink:

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 6:48 pm 

How to get rid of a picture tube? Loan it some money..

PostPosted: Feb Tue 25, 2020 7:15 pm 

analog.tv wrote:
How to get rid of a picture tube? Loan it some money..

You have some to loan me so I can loan some to it? :D

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 12:05 am 

My bigger problem is how to get rid of the dozen or so old TV chassis's sitting on my back porch.

The city will apparently let me take them to their Disposal Yard on Saturdays, with a 125 Lb limit per trip. Says they take Televisions so presumably CRTs would be included. Nothing said about any extra charges.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 2:30 am 

Whilst it isn't right and I understand, is there any wonder why people dump along the road? Not right, but if you make it so difficult, eventually people will just do what they gotta do...

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 2:39 am 

Put it on the seat of an unlocked car in New York.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 3:02 am 

Tom Schulz wrote:
Put it on the seat of an unlocked car in New York.
:lol:

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:04 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
*snip*

With all the damage Phosphates do to the environment and the unlikely leaching of lead, it would seem more apt to regulate the waste based on the phosphor content, but all Lead is bad....... :wink:

That's the thinking that led to RoHS regs that banned lead-based solder. Never mind that lead-acid car batteries contain more lead than all the electronics ever made and there's no RoHS on them...

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:44 am 

aj2x wrote:
Never mind that lead-acid car batteries contain more lead than all the electronics ever made and there's no RoHS on them...

Well those are normally recycled. I believe that I got $5.00 for turning in the old battery the last time I bought a new one.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:33 pm 

Eric H wrote:
My bigger problem is how to get rid of the dozen or so old TV chassis's sitting on my back porch.

The city will apparently let me take them to their Disposal Yard on Saturdays, with a 125 Lb limit per trip. Says they take Televisions so presumably CRTs would be included. Nothing said about any extra charges.

This may be a bit laborious but when I get sick of the space a parts chassis is taking up and don't want try and unload it at a swap meet what I do is drill out all the rivets and strip all transformers sockets and terminal strips...I keep anything that can be reused and take the chassis in for scrap metal... Though sometimes if the chassis lends itself well to some scratch build project I'm considering I keep.it to use for something else.

No one complains about a waste basket of electronic bits mixed in a garbage bag and a chassis devoid of electronic parts is just scrap steel.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:46 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Eric H wrote:

This may be a bit laborious but when I get sick of the space a parts chassis is taking up and don't want try and unload it at a swap meet what I do is drill out all the rivets and strip all transformers sockets and terminal strips...I keep anything that can be reused and take the chassis in for scrap metal... Though sometimes if the chassis lends itself well to some scratch build project I'm considering I keep.it to use for something else.

No one complains about a waste basket of electronic bits mixed in a garbage bag and a chassis devoid of electronic parts is just scrap steel.

I generally won't strip a chassis. If I want it compact and gone, my Dewalt Sawzall will turn a chassis into waste container sized bits.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 7:51 pm 

25 or so years ago I put a metal cabinet color Roundie out for garbage , when they put it in and started to crush it you heard BOOM

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 8:03 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Tom Schulz wrote:
aj2x wrote:
Never mind that lead-acid car batteries contain more lead than all the electronics ever made and there's no RoHS on them...

Well those are normally recycled. I believe that I got $5.00 for turning in the old battery the last time I bought a new one.

Depends how you look at it ....

Batteries are typically sold on an exchange basis. When you buy "some" automotive style batteries you are charged a "core charge". That charge is to motivate you into bringing back the old battery for recycling. What you got back was your own money. If you keep the old core you could look at it as buying back your old battery for $5.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 29, 2020 4:37 am 

I go through an unreal amount of unwanted and dud late model crts from sets and monitors that I prefer to part out rather than keep. I'm off the hook where I'm at simply because I take the phosphor out before I do anything with them. Then out comes smashy the hammer.

I think I've got maybe 6 different cans that I've been collecting different phosphors in.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 29, 2020 6:32 am 

We have simply devacuumed them by removing the plastic part of the base, if it slides off as with the later ones, bend all of the pins over (outwards) to give ready access to the glass spigot, cover the whole of the bell with either cardboard or sugar bags or such (because SOMETIMES) when de-vacuumed the bell will shatter (though rarely), then with a pair of sidecutters, knip the spigot about halfway along its length, but turn your face away while doing it, just in case anything might fly. After devacuumed, leave the tube alone for a while as stresses can be present in the big bits, then we would drop them into the wheelybin. Problem was some of the mega sized tubes in the later Chinese sets were too big to fit in the bin. In that case we took a run to the tip, which has a recycling section.
But do NOT dump without devacuuming. Some innocent party could be hurt.
If you have ideas of having a new gun(s) fitted, don't let the air in, If the air gets in, it can poison the phosphor(s), but we had this happen one time accidentally, and when our tube rebuilder was contacted, his instruction was to get the dud to him ASAP and then it could be recovered. Apparently damage to the phosphors is slowish.
If your tube is just weak on emission, we would use our rejuvenator, which was very successful. In the early B/W days we fitted a booster, which was a little autotransformer to belt up the heater voltage. It had taps from about 7 volts up to 12 or so, selectable. The socket was unplugged from the tube and the booster had male and female connectors, so it was an easy job to plug one in to try. Sometimes the set would run for years with the weak tube. If you wish to store the tube for possible future use, you don't sit it with the neck upwards, because bits of dislodged cathode material can fall onto the shadow mask or phosphor surface and make a mark right in the centre of the picture where it most annoys.
Nowadays I don't throw any of the smaller tubes, because you never know when you'll score a valuable and rare antique set which can be restored. But as far as the massive CRT sets go, in my own opinion, they should never have been built and the sooner junked the better. The X-radiation from some of them was quite high, and when I used to see little kids sitting on the carpet a few feet away from them, I used to cringe....

PostPosted: Feb Sat 29, 2020 11:06 pm 

X-rays from the front of more recent color CRTs is a bit of a myth, apparently.

I saw some worst-case testing being done in the early 70s on a prototype. The TV was a 22 inch with the then very new Toshiba RIS CRT.
The linear voltage reg was deliberately shorted, as were the RGB output devices. Some tuning caps in the HV circuit were removed to raise the EHT.

When tested for x-rays, the only place a meaningful reading could be obtained was against the CRT cone, near the yoke. Background radiation only was all you could read in front of the CRT.

So on this basis, an "x-ray protection circuit" was not added to the design.

The shunt regulator tube used in tube TVs was the main source of x-rays. We never saw one of those here.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 01, 2020 6:14 am 

The nice thing about the detection circuit in the later model sets even the big monsters if the HO section was detuned just enough to throw a trace amount it would tell the MCU to kill it and you can't turn it back on until you pull the cord for a short and plug it back in. It's worth pointing out that if you detune it too far, remove the safety caps completely or the safety caps have an intermittent connection you can raise the eht high enough to not only throw x-rays but punch through the envelope usually when it does it's because the eht has found the yoke assembly and is going to make contact with it, in the least sever the neck worst case crush the funnel. I got lucky with an unsecured connection the set didn't kill until the HOT shorted the PSU and handling the tube had the neck with the yoke assembly still on it off the funnel and I'm holding it in my hand. So instead of playing the tube and readying it for someone to possibly use in a game machine I'm raking the phosphor out of it and busting it up. Never make adjustments to that tuning unless you know what you're doing and always make sure your connections are secure if you do.

As for breaking the vacuum tip off of the stem there is a slight chance that a particle shaped just right will strike the inside surface of the face and take a small bite out of it. Out of all the times I've messed with them there's only one I have seen that happen with. The chip isn't very big at all and I have to actually be looking for it in order to see it. It's actually the 23f that I was going to rescreen but that's going to make it disappear in the oven so I'm not going to waste my time on it.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page Previous  1, 2