Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 30, 2020 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Identifying an Emerson Television
PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 1:32 am 

Hello! I was hoping to get some help identifying an Emerson cabinet I picked up from Goodwill. It uses a 19AP4 television tube. I have searched as many numbers as I can find on the unit but nothing seems to find it.

Also is this unit worth anything? I am not trying to turn a huge profit or something but it would be nice to get my money back.

Thanks for your help, sorry if I'm new here and not sure how things are supposed to work.

Attachments:
2020-02-25 16.12.24.jpg
2020-02-25 16.12.24.jpg [ 515.22 KiB | Viewed 1042 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help Identifying an Emerson Television
PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 11:31 am 

Are there any numbers stamped on the chassis? Is there a tube location guide with any numbers?

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 3:49 pm 

The missing knob(s) are around if you look. The big value is the picture tube. If it's good, there is interest, at least in that. If it's not good, likely that's a parts set. That has the potential to be a prized set at somebody's home, as it once was. Craig

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:47 pm 

The value will be heavily dependant on the condition of the CRT. Metal cone CRTs like the 19AP4 tend to leak and become too gassy to function....It is extremely difficult to find replacement metal cone CRTs so if it is good the CRT value makes the set value between $60 and 150 depending on the market in your region. If the CRT is bad the set is worth around $25 for parts or negative 30 to pay a recycler to take it if there's no interest after a few months.

To flip TVs for profit you either have to be in a good market and invest a hamburgers worth per set or smart up on models that are in demand (and what they go for in various conditions)....Most collectors even the cheapskates loose money on most sets. Some models are worth thousands but most are lucky to crack $50 in very good condition.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:55 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Most collectors even the cheapskates loose money on most sets.

Ain't that the truth! Especially when you add in all the overhead, like paying for rented storage for over 30 years!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 6:54 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:

Ain't that the truth! Especially when you add in all the overhead, like paying for rented storage for over 30 years!

Yup, I'm set on limiting my collection size such that I don't have to rent storage...

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 8:00 pm 

Probably one of the models listed on the below Sams. Not sure which one had the doors. Most of the major manufactures only made 19" round sets for one year, after which 17" rectangular sets appeared. Occasionally you'll see 19" round tubes later on some less known brands. Those knobs were a weak design on so many of Emerson sets. I'm in need of a nice set myself.

Attachments:
100_5212-3.JPG
100_5212-3.JPG [ 81.21 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 10:26 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
wiscojim wrote:
Electronic Memory wrote:

Yup, I'm set on limiting my collection size such that I don't have to rent storage...

A rough guess is that I've spent approximately $55,000.00 on storage over the last 30+ years.

Outside of three TVs already promised (two DuMont Royal Sovereigns and a Sony KV-3000R) from the three storage bins I currently rent, I'd happily sell all their contents to the first $5,000.00.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 1:13 am 

Thanks to everyone so far. I got the set for $15 so it's not a high bar to sell it. I was thinking of using the cabinet for something else if it was completely broken, but since it seems to have some functionality I figured it'd look into it.

I turned the unit on (maybe ill advised but I got a tube record player that worked right away, so for $15 might as well push my luck)
The set did light up, and I got a rectangle of static about a 2 inches high to show up on the screen. Then I smelled a bad smell and there was some smoke coming from what I think is part of the tuning section (near tube V-17 in the diagram) , so I shut the unit off.

The back of the unit had a screen that has been ripped off at some point, and I assume that's where more details may have been listed.

Aside from a serial number (134B-13860716) and a warning, the chassis doesn't seem to have any markings, and "134B" doesn't seem to have anything on the internet (at least not for a television) so I am guessing that's not the model.

Here is the tube guide though

Attachments:
2020-02-25 16.12.07.jpg
2020-02-25 16.12.07.jpg [ 672.91 KiB | Viewed 935 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 1:58 am 

DEFINITELY ill-advised to power it up. You may have been lucky this time but more likely you have complicated the restoration with the damage now done.

Anyway, at least you know the CRT works. That's good news.

For future reference, google "dim bulb tester" for an inexpensive and safe way to power up old electronics after a long hibernation.

Pity I'm in Australia, I'd take that TV off your hands in a flash! Drive across the country to pick it up!

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 11:53 pm 

9 out of 10 times a power up doesn't destroy anything, although advising against it is good advice. With a few exceptions, console TV's are of low value. Collectors will only consider one if it's a particularly rare or unusual one simple because of space. What helps with your model is that it's an early "roundie" CRT, but even a model in extraordinary excellent condition would be valued about $50 tops, and be a hard sell at that. Electronic restorations are labor of loves with sets like these and will not raise the value a tremendous amount. The best thing to do with a set like that is completely restore it and enjoy watching your favorite classics on it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 28, 2020 1:03 am 

I'd borrow a CRT tester to see how good it tests. If there is good emission and no gas, then you have a complete recapping job ahead.