Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 10, 2020 4:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Does a '47 Cleervue TV actually exsist?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2013 12:10 pm 

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1946-49-CLEERVUE.htm

In all my years of collecting I've yet to see a 1947 Cleervue TV of any kind, but especially the swivel-top "Hollywood" console with spindle legs. I've only seen a picture of one from service literature, and in the movie "He Walked By Night".
I am curious to know if anyone has yet to see or hear of anyone un-earthing one.

Post subject: Re: Does a '47 Cleervue TV actually exsist?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2013 2:47 pm 

I know someone who has the Hollywood set and I have actually seen it. So at least one exists!

Steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2013 2:55 pm 

Cool Steve. Thanks
That would be great if you could coax him to post a photo of it. I know myself and other TV collectors would appreciate that very much!
I would say it's the only one in existence and would love to know all about it - including how in the world he was able to aquire it! :D
Joe

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

Joe:

He is a very private collector and my guess would be that he would not want a picture of it posted. I believe that there are a few other members of this forum that have seen it. If I remember correctly, he got it at a local flea market here in Southern California.

Steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2013 4:56 pm 

I can respect that Steve. I hope he would consider it one day being it's likely the only example left. Any private info. could remain just that.
At a local flea-market?! Wow, he must have nearly fell down when he spotted it!
Thanks again,
Joe

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2013 4:27 am 

Hmmmm. A 1947 15" Console.

DuMont Clone? 8)

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2013 10:17 am 

M3-SRT8 wrote:
Hmmmm. A 1947 15" Console.

DuMont Clone? 8)

Could have been (?)
The cool part about the blonde "Hollywood" console is that it has a rather compact base with '50'-'60's-like tall spindly legs and then the swivel CRT housing is an odd trapezoid shape up top! Sort of a Predicta-ish style in '47! If I remember correctly, on the base, the controls look like a 630TS style layout with the "Peek-hole" style channel selector.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 12:06 pm 

Here is a screen shot from the movie "He Walked By Night"

Attachments:
IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg [ 180.45 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 2:06 pm 

According to Rider TV Volume 1, it's an RCA clone, with a different chassis construction.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 09, 2020 10:54 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
According to Rider TV Volume 1, it's an RCA clone, with a different chassis construction.

Thank you. I remember posting this because I was determined to uncover some info on it and the company. No such luck. I still haven't come across anything but short announcement articles of the set. By the way the narrow blonde finish cabinet sits on tall 1950's-'60's spindle legs. Very unusual and modern for the time.

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 5:18 pm 

Radio News March 1948

Attachments:
CH.jpg
CH.jpg [ 254.17 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Fri 10, 2020 6:11 pm 

The modular chassis sounds like Setchell Carlson...I wonder if there were any pattent issues over that?

It's too bad this wasn't model that sold in volume...If there were enough examples left to go around I'd probably try to buy one.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:00 am 

Setchell Carlson had a modular set as far back as the round tube era, i've seen pictures, but I can't remember if it was posted hera or at Videokarma. Possibly this used SC parts?

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:08 am 

You have to wonder what happened to the company, leaving apparently so few sets produced. Obviously if there had been very much production, more would have survived and some of the old timers would remember having seen such a unique set in a basement or storage room a decade later.

A 30 tube chassis pretty much limits it to an RCA 630 clone, built in modular form. But the question is, did they actually have permission from RCA to copy that design? RCA licensed others to use their circuit, that's well known. They even sold things like power transformers, flybacks, yokes and so on to others to use as OEM parts.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:23 am 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
You have to wonder what happened to the company, leaving apparently so few sets produced. Obviously if there had been very much production, more would have survived and some of the old timers would remember having seen such a unique set in a basement or storage room a decade later.

A 30 tube chassis pretty much limits it to an RCA 630 clone, built in modular form. But the question is, did they actually have permission from RCA to copy that design? RCA licensed others to use their circuit, that's well known. They even sold things like power transformers, flybacks, yokes and so on to others to use as OEM parts.

Yes, it's supposed to have been a 630 chassis. For some reason the right side had the channel selector switched over to the left. Without a doubt this company was just jumping on the bandwagon like so many others in the '46-'48 era like with radio in the 1920's. They would all soon be gone. Likely Cleervue was a very small operation basically making a unique cabinet to house outsourced electronics. It's just really strange how there's only one single Cleevue TV known to exist. Also that one write up on the "Hollywood" is the only piece of literature I've ever come across on the company.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:32 am 

Now whoever designed this must have seen one!
Attachment:
Pet.png
Pet.png [ 281.7 KiB | Viewed 839 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:38 am 

It is kind of ironic that this thread popped back up again as I just spoke to the collectors who owns this set last week. We did discuss it briefly but sadly he has no interest in having it restored. I doubt if he’d let me photograph but I couldn’t go and visit him anyway do to the strict restrictions here in California.

Steve

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 2:46 am 

The very complex and influential RCA 630 was widely copied, even many years later.
EMI Australia HMV from 1957
Attachment:
F1_synchrolock.png
F1_synchrolock.png [ 416.74 KiB | Viewed 837 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 4:14 am 

I'm guessing it never made it out of the Prototype stage, the set in the movie may well be the same set that's in the collectors hands. since both were/are presumably in the Los Angeles region.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 11, 2020 4:40 am 

Steve K wrote:
It is kind of ironic that this thread popped back up again as I just spoke to the collectors who owns this set last week. We did discuss it briefly but sadly he has no interest in having it restored. I doubt if he’d let me photograph but I couldn’t go and visit him anyway do to the strict restrictions here in California.

Steve

If you ever get a possibility Steve, take an extensive series of pics. I would think if the owner knew that there's TV historians out there that would love to see what the one surviving example looks like, he might give in. I speak for myself that I have no interest to pursue the set further than just have it documented for reference.

Eric - that's true what you say. It would amazing if it was the same set that exists today. I just don't get how a set made in Brooklyn, NY ended up as a prop in a movie made in LA. The odd part is that it looks like a set made in LA and the "Hollywood" name only ads to that. I can't picture someone placing that big blonde space ship looking thing in some old Brooklyn flat!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next