Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sat 30, 2020 12:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Predicta TV, I want to cry !!!
PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 8:07 pm 

They took this Predicta TV and striped it of all electronics and picture tube and replaced it with a modern color LCD in the CRT encloser.. And added a DVD player (Bottom slot at bottom of grill cloth).
I think it was American Restoration.

Attachments:
IMG_1861A.png
IMG_1861A.png [ 513.38 KiB | Viewed 2472 times ]

Post subject: Re: Predicta TV, I want to cry !!!
PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 9:02 pm 

They did that well over 4 years ago. I was disgusted when I saw it.
I now have that model of predicta and barring something weird I should be able to keep mine working on its original tube electronics for the next 4-6 decades....how much you want to bet the Flatpannel and DVD they installed are going to be dead in under a decade if they didn't already fail?

PostPosted: Mar Mon 09, 2020 10:42 pm 

Notice they don't show it displaying a picture in the after photo. It doubtless looks terrible. I have a Holiday and the one I would trade it in for is the Danish modern pedestal.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 6:43 am 

I heard a similar story, but this time it involved the Conrac video monitors at the old NASA space center, rather than restoring the original tube based video monitors (which were wonderful) they elected to gut them and replace the innards with flat LCD screens and modern electronics, to create a working looking replica of the original center to impress (fool) the general public.

It is pretty sickening, but there is no accounting for taste and there is a demand for this sort of anachronistic stuff , it even has a name; "steampunk" and you will often see what were once historical electronic treasures turned into some monstrosity that lo & behold, some people (usually non technical types) are prepared to spend money on because they think its "cool".

Those of us who know the electronics & the history, we would rather spend the money on anti-emetics so we don't throw up when we see this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 10:29 am 

ACORNVALVE wrote:
I heard a similar story, but this time it involved the Conrac video monitors at the old NASA space center, rather than restoring the original tube based video monitors (which were wonderful) they elected to gut them and replace the innards with flat LCD screens and modern electronics, to create a working looking replica of the original center to impress (fool) the general public.

It is pretty sickening, but there is no accounting for taste and there is a demand for this sort of anachronistic stuff , it even has a name; "steampunk" and you will often see what were once historical electronic treasures turned into some monstrosity that lo & behold, some people (usually non technical types) are prepared to spend money on because they think its "cool".

Those of us who know the electronics & the history, we would rather spend the money on anti-emetics so we don't throw up when we see this sort of thing.

In the case of the Mission Control center, they recreated the whole thing - the original Mission Control Center having been reused for other missions, there were no original monitors that were present for the moon landings. NASA has a habit of reusing/rehabilitating many facilities and equipment items to save money. :)

The entire third floor MCC was reused for shuttle operations, and did not exist in it's "Apollo" configuration - at all. No original monitors (in that quantity) existed, so they went with what would work and used modern equivalents. Recreating the Conrac monitors was not only cost prohibitive, but also quite impossible.

Quote:
Console arrays (such as panels, switches, indicators and monitors) also were configured to their Apollo 15 locations, which represents the apex of technological achievement of the Apollo missions. NASA upgraded the consoles during the shuttle era (1981 To 1992), which made returning them to their Apollo configuration an important step in the restoration process.

- https://spacecenter.org/restoring-apoll ... ol-center/

Edit: BTW- the monitors present in the shuttle-era consoles (the old Apollo MCC) were NEC multisync monitors in 1990, when I got to tour the facility. NEC built plants here in the US in the 80s to make them, so they were American made :P - a requirement for GSA sourcing, I presume. Not one Conrac unit on display, either in the museum or the MCC building.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 6:18 pm 

I remember seeing that episode of American restoration, Rick was so proud of what he did, and charged the owner's son a tidy sum to do this monstrosity. Apparently the owner's son had it restored for his dad. I still remember the look on his dad's face when they showed him he had this oh krapp what did you do look lo.... I think the dad would have cried if he was on TV lol as he had plans of having a totally restored back to original condition apparently it was aFamily heirloom from his parents

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 10:40 pm 

Some years ago I was waiting for my car to be serviced and reading a book on old jukeboxes. A guy next to me commented "I like the reproductions one's that play CD's". I told him no way, what you really want is one all original that plays records. He said nah, I'd rather have a repro one. That's the thinking in these times and likely will continue.
The younger generations must not even know what "black and white" TV even means, let alone like!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 12, 2020 11:00 pm 

Quote:
The younger generations must not even know what "black and white" TV even means, let alone like!
Or that you had to get up and go twist a very clunky station selector to select one of only a few stations.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 1:21 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Console arrays (such as panels, switches, indicators and monitors) also were configured to their Apollo 15 locations, which represents the apex of technological achievement of the Apollo missions. NASA upgraded the consoles during the shuttle era (1981 To 1992), which made returning them to their Apollo configuration an important step in the restoration process.

Edit: BTW- the monitors present in the shuttle-era consoles (the old Apollo MCC) were NEC multisync monitors in 1990, when I got to tour the facility. NEC built plants here in the US in the 80s to make them, so they were American made :P - a requirement for GSA sourcing, I presume. Not one Conrac unit on display, either in the museum or the MCC building.[/quote]

Here is some more information, to see what they did:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-0 ... ation.html

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 1:26 am 

ACORNVALVE wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:

Edit: BTW- the monitors present in the shuttle-era consoles (the old Apollo MCC) were NEC multisync monitors in 1990, when I got to tour the facility. NEC built plants here in the US in the 80s to make them, so they were American made :P - a requirement for GSA sourcing, I presume. Not one Conrac unit on display, either in the museum or the MCC building.

Here is some more information, to see what they did:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-0 ... ation.html[/quote]

The interesting thing is these monitors, made by the Astronautics Corporation were not in fact the original ones used in the Apollo missions. which had different indicator panels. I'm not sure if the originals were definitely Conrac or not.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 2:56 am 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Quote:
Or that you had to get up and go twist a very clunky station selector to select one of only a few stations.

Yes. I'm old enough to even remember adding tin-foil extensions on the TV's rabbit-ears to help the picture. I'd like to see the looks of a young kid when you mention that one to them!

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 10:14 am 

The monitors they were carting away for "restoration" in the link I posted appear to be a second generation type.

In the Movie Apollo 13 I think they used the original consoles. I have attached photos of both. The original ones had a twin 7 segment display on the upper right. But its hard to know why, if they recreated the control room for the movie and got the original monitors working (and it really did look like they were all working) why they didn't just leave it at that.

Attachments:
mon1.jpg
mon1.jpg [ 334.74 KiB | Viewed 2094 times ]
Mon2.jpg
Mon2.jpg [ 705.75 KiB | Viewed 2094 times ]

PostPosted: Mar Fri 13, 2020 4:49 pm 

decojoe67 wrote:
Some years ago I was waiting for my car to be serviced and reading a book on old jukeboxes. A guy next to me commented "I like the reproductions one's that play CD's". I told him no way, what you really want is one all original that plays records. He said nah, I'd rather have a repro one. That's the thinking in these times and likely will continue.

There are a lot of people that don't want to maintain old technology. They want the cheapest most maintenance free thing that has the look regardless of how unfaithful to the original the experience of using it is. These are the same people that if they want a vintage car and get a nice driving original swap a stock LS engine from a pickup in so it starts every time on the first crank and they don't have to mess with points or carburetors or do anything beyond plugging in a diagnostic device to the computer to troubleshoot...
Preservation and the value of that mean nothing to them....Those people are the type best served by reproductions. It is better they have a reproduction than gut an original jukebox and stuff a CD changer or media PC inside as I have seen done before...

Basically they are anachronistic cosplayers that don't want to bother with the original experience the same way the average teen that dresses as a pirate on holloween wouldn't want to be an actual pirate of old if they knew what the real experience entailed....

PostPosted: Mar Tue 17, 2020 5:40 pm 

The apollo 13 picture shouldn't the numbers 06 be nixie tubes ?

PostPosted: Mar Wed 18, 2020 2:38 am 

Think you'll find the 06 is 7 segment incandescent.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 24, 2020 8:30 am 

edison64 wrote:
I remember seeing that episode of American restoration, Rick was so proud of what he did, and charged the owner's son a tidy sum to do this monstrosity. Apparently the owner's son had it restored for his dad. I still remember the look on his dad's face when they showed him he had this oh krapp what did you do look lo.... I think the dad would have cried if he was on TV lol as he had plans of having a totally restored back to original condition apparently it was aFamily heirloom from his parents

Last time I saw that show they dumped the original format, which was a knockoff of Pawn Stars anyhow, and switched to documenting a series of different restorations at different restoration shops, which seemed to be more specialized and cared more about historical preservation. I have no idea what happened to the show after that, but liked the change over a guy that really should have stuck with Coke machines rather then dabbling at anything. I can still remember him boasting of his technique of clear coating over vinyl decals, which he mysteriously stopped doing after the second season (gee I wonder why??)
I hope whomever owns that Predicta now still has the chassis, and tube, and sends them to Bob Andersen.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Mar Sun 29, 2020 2:51 pm 

Wonder how you'd do this with a Zenith porthole with the slimmer floor cabinets to be able to fill the whole round screen and still fit in there, might have to turn the screen on its end and rotate the video picture accordingly. Unless there are 4:3 flatscreens around. Don't get me wrong, if I ever saw somebody do that to a porthole I'd become violently ill, but one can always wonder. :)

PostPosted: Mar Mon 30, 2020 2:57 am 

frenchmarky wrote:
Wonder how you'd do this with a Zenith porthole with the slimmer floor cabinets to be able to fill the whole round screen and still fit in there, might have to turn the screen on its end and rotate the video picture accordingly. Unless there are 4:3 flatscreens around. Don't get me wrong, if I ever saw somebody do that to a porthole I'd become violently ill, but one can always wonder. :)

Early flatscreen computer monitors and some LCD TVs were 4x3. Finding the right one would not be easy.

It really grinds my gears when someone takes a restorable non-working vintage TV and guts it because they want it to "work" without bothering to make the more repairable vintage circuits function.

Many folks think CRTs were small 4x3 SD only devices and LCDs are all 16x9 HD... they'd get their paradigms up ended if the visited my house where a 12" 4x3 analog SD only LCD sits in the kitchen and a 34" 16x9 HD-CRT Sony with HDMI input and internal ATSC tuner occupies my bedroom.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 30, 2020 3:49 am 

Arran wrote:
edison64 wrote:

Last time I saw that show they dumped the original format, which was a knockoff of Pawn Stars anyhow, and switched to documenting a series of different restorations at different restoration shops, which seemed to be more specialized and cared more about historical preservation. I have no idea what happened to the show after that, but liked the change over a guy that really should have stuck with Coke machines rather then dabbling at anything. I can still remember him boasting of his technique of clear coating over vinyl decals, which he mysteriously stopped doing after the second season (gee I wonder why??)
I hope whomever owns that Predicta now still has the chassis, and tube, and sends them to Bob Andersen.
Regards
Arran

That show is still on??? They are a hack outfit, IMO. I saw them do a pedal tractor and painted it the wrong colour and a couple other obvious things were effed up. To boot, they charged them a small fortune!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 21, 2020 1:00 am 

This submission has been deleted

Last edited by Chriscrosley1 on May Mon 04, 2020 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: 7jp4-guy, Mr. Detrola Go to page 1, 2  Next