Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Sun 31, 2020 3:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sears Division 57 Repair Parts & Service Instructions for TV
PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2020 12:54 am 

Greetings to all:

This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone have any of the early 1948 - 1950 Sears Silvertone Television Repair Parts & Service Instructions? These would be found in the "Standard Nomenclature, Grey Binder, Volume 4". The instructions would cover the "RL 57" dates of July 1948 through to early 1950.

For example: Silvertone Television (models) Catalog Numbers 9133 and 9134 would be filed by "57 RL 523" with a date below as "August 20, 1949".

These instruction manuals are actually service manuals, with a P/L, pricing, alignment and schematic(s). The ones that I have seen are printed on a brown, outer layer of a cardboard box, type of paper but the schematic is usually printed on high quality white paper.

It takes trick or two to scan the black print on brown paper, but it can be done. I wish that I could change my scanner lamp to a tan light.

Naturally, I'm looking to find ALL of them but that is a "long shot". The one in particular that pops up in several places in the early Rider's Television Volumes is "57 RL 502" for "Test Pattern Photographs" (or scope traces). This is the one that I would be interested in. Even a copy would be helpful.

Eventually, I'll post a WTB in the Classifieds. I'm just seeing if any of these Division 57 manuals are still above the ground, and any information that you may have to create a clearer WTB message.

Thank you.

John

Post subject: Re: Sears Division 57 Repair Parts & Service Instructions fo
PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2020 1:26 am 

There might be a few survivors around somewhere, but the problem is those weren't distributed outside of the Sears service system unless an independent shop owner went into the Sears parts department and convinced them to sell a copy. For that reason alone, it's unlikely that very many still exist.

When I started at Sears in 1979, I talked to the D/57 manager and the unit manager about what might have happened to all the early data, since all we had in the shop was from some point in the 60's on forward. I was told that many filing cabinets full of manuals went into the dumpster or incinerator when the material was about 15 years or so old and they declined to repair sets of that vintage, and they were instructed by regional or district management to do so. That same purge of the material would have been ordered throughout the Sears service system. It's unlikely that any techs working there would have grabbed the manuals and brought them home, but you never know. That generation has likely all passed away by now anyway and anything they would have saved was dumped by their family.

It's possible that one set of manuals was kept in Chicago just in case it was ever needed, but very unlikely that could have survived until now.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 22, 2020 4:48 pm 

When I worked for Sears on div 57, it was in '86 and everything we had at that time was on microfiche. When they closed our service center in '92, I kept those. I think I still have those, but Ill have to check to see how far back. The quality was lousy back then and I'm sure they haven't gotten any better. I'll do some digging and get back.

Tim P. (previously known as "Madmurdok")

PostPosted: Mar Mon 23, 2020 9:45 pm 

Sears went to the microfiche system back around 1978, when I was still working there. The quality was pretty bad. Some of us were able to save copies of the printed material; I had a schematic for the 4168 which was marked up with all of the common faulty components. A couple of the guys had actually bought Sams folders for some color TV sets; they were better than the Sears info, especially on the Japanese sets.