Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco Predicta
PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 12:07 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new., but I have a question that I need help on . I've been restoring a 1956 Spartan Trailer, imperial mansion and I'm almost finished but it has a Philco Predicta that has a cool shelf in the living room for it. It is so cool and I think was way ahead of their time, I've never seen one. when I first turned it on I got a picture for a moment , then nothing. I there a repair shop, or person in Orange County who could help me ? Mark

Post subject: Re: Philco Predicta
PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 7:56 am 

Quote:
when I first turned it on I got a picture for a moment , then nothing

That could be an "ouch". Firing up vintage sets without some preliminary sleuthing to see if they are up to it, is like Russian Roulette. Sometimes it makes things worse than they were. Just something to keep in mind for the next time.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 9:31 am 

Wow what a cool project!

PLEASE don't be tempted to gut the thing and install a modern flat screen. There are PLENTY of people on this site who are familiar with the Predictas. You could consider doing it yourself but a TV, particularly a predicta, is a difficult first project. You'll need to find someone on this site who is close to you who is prepared to take it on.

Not me, I'm in Sydney Australia!

You will also need a modulator (the Predicta is an analog TV of course) and some sort of media player with digital receiver. There are many of these around.

While you are at it, look up "dim bulb tester".

LOVE to see some pics of your project! I just looked at some pictures of it. Looks more like a railcar than what we call a caravan. Not sure how you'd go towing it with a 1956 FJ Holden!

Attachment:
FJ.png
FJ.png [ 603.56 KiB | Viewed 1001 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 3:55 pm 

One of the first things to do is find out which Predicta model it is. Various models had either a 17 inch or 21 inch screen. All were made during the years 1958 to 1960.
https://mztv.oncell.com/en/6-philco-pre ... 46590.html
Predictas are sought out because of the styling, they were not outstanding performers. They tend to be unreliable (mostly because of the heat generated in such a small cabinet) and difficult to work on. They are popular however so many people have restoration experience with them. I would think in your location someone could be found to take on the task.
On this forum I have noticed a tendency for us to take the attitude of "don't worry if the pilot is dead, we can talk you down for a landing". It can be done, but if you have no experience with vintage electronics, a TV, much less a Predicta, isn't a good place to start.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 25, 2021 11:48 pm 

Which Orange County, there are at least two in the country that I know of.