Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 10:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoffman EasyVision
PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 6:51 am 

HI there. I have first hand knowledge about the Hoffman EasyVision TV sets. my father bought our first set in 1950 or thereabouts. When he brought it home, my mom and I were not pleased with the strange yellow green hue of the display. He excused himself by saying it was the only set they had in the store that we could afford. We began watching that Saturday and continued on through the next week...Beany and Cecil, Kukla Fran and Ollie and Howdy Doody.

We began what is now called binge watching, and the strangest thing happened. We no longer thought of the picture as yellpw green, it appeared natural to us. We found that we couldn't watch other sets as the harsh black and white hurt our eyes. The next weekend my aunt an uncle came to dinner and at first, they too found the yellow green distracting. But after a couple of hours, they began seeing it as a "normal" black and white picture. They left and went home. The next day, they called us and said that they were getting rid of their Stromberg Carlson and buying a Hoffman.

The yellow green so reduces the glare, its possible to watch for hours without getting a headache. And, I might add, the TV headache was one of the most common trivial illnesses amongst our clan.

I left for the service in 1953 and when I returned a few years later, the Hoffman was still the family entertainment. It didn't go into retirement until color came along.

Richard (Dick) Walker age 84 former California resident. Now living in Washington state.

Post subject: Re: Hoffman EasyVision
PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 4:20 pm 

I can remember as a kid you would notice the green light coming from peoples living room windows at night, yep, they had a Hoffman! Magnavox b&w tv's for a time had a brownish tint, to me anyway, that was a bit different. Of course we all remember when GE came out with the blue color tubes that were blue when turned off.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 4:59 pm 

As a 15 year old kid, I bought and brought home a Hoffman TV with the 10 inch screen. I agree that after watching the picture for only a short time, it seems normal black and white. I did some very minor repairs and kept used it in my bedroom until I moved out of my parents house. The set went into honorable retirement, but I still have it!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 9:44 pm 

As one of the younger collectors I tend to call it (Qu)EasyVision, but don't find mine unpleasant to watch aside from it being a bit dim.

Someone once pointed out to me I set the grey scale on my color sets a bit on the greenish side and I observed they set theirs a bit on the blue/red side, and they wondered if the difference might be that I have green eyes and they don't.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 10:28 pm 

In the early 50's there was concern that prolonged viewing of a TV could harm your vision. Like looking at the sun too long.
Hoffman capitalized on this by tinting the screen and calling it EasyVision. Somehow better for the eyes.
It may have worked for a while (exclusive product), but eventually they gave up on it.
=====
Ron

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 10:36 pm 

Thx for the great remberance story, oldtvguy37! My dad brought home a small screen set, 7 or 10", around 1947-48, when KTLA channel 5 first started broadcasting in the Los Angeles area, originally on the channel 2 frequency.

I remember Howdy Doody, Time for Beany, and 1930's Flash Gordon serial segments. Man those rocket ships were the coolest!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 11:22 pm 

I read some place and I can not recall where, that the real reason for the tint was not due to some sort of better filter color, but because Hoffman purchased as military surplus material, the yellow-green plastic like material that was originally used to make aircraft windows. The "Easy Vision Lens" marking was just a marketing thing used in an attempt to explain why the safety glass in the Hoffman TV was the unusual color.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 18, 2021 11:22 pm 

I have a working 10" set with the green glass.

Attachment:
bee2.JPG
bee2.JPG [ 189.66 KiB | Viewed 2367 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 1:19 am 

Hoffman was made in Los Angeles, as was Packard Bell. That's why most of these sets are found on the West Coast.
====
Ron

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 7:42 am 

J. Hill wrote:
I read some place and I can not recall where, that the real reason for the tint was not due to some sort of better filter color, but because Hoffman purchased as military surplus material, the yellow-green plastic like material that was originally used to make aircraft windows. The "Easy Vision Lens" marking was just a marketing thing used in an attempt to explain why the safety glass in the Hoffman TV was the unusual color.

I had not known anything about these Hoffman TV's.

So the story is the sets had standard type P4 CRT phosphor, but they had a colored filter in front ? is that correct ?

If there is a colored cast on the light, the eye's retina has a type of auto white balance system, that tends to offset it over time. For example if you wear pink glasses for a while, and adjust to those and take them off, your vision will appear a little green for a while. That is likely why the longer you watch the set, the more monochrome it looks.

There is more than one type of CRT P4 phosphor though, the early pre WW2 types types had white granules, later CRT's had a fine mixture of blue & yellow granules, which gave a moonlight like effect, and some looked bluer than others. Dumont's early P4 phosphors had a brown-yellow like sepia tone compared to RCA's. I think Dumont refined their own P4 phosphor and didn't use RCA's P4 mixture.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 2:26 pm 

Avornvalve - Yes the CRT was standard. The "safety glass" which was not glass, but a type of plastic, has a slight tint.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 3:42 pm 

I have an early 10" hoffman and the "glass" sure seems like real glass. Maybe they used other materials later.
It's easy to find articles about the danger of vision strain in the popular magazines of the time.
I would call the color to be a greenish yellow.
The effect, in person, is not quite as strong as Eric's picture would indicate.
I did a post about my restoration of this set. A very good performer.
====
Ron

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 4:05 pm 

I have two of these, but neither is near me now. I could be wrong about it not being glass. I read about it being military surplus plastic and don't recall taking a look to mine with the idea of confirming that it is glass or plastic. Thinking about it now, glass seems more logical.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 6:31 pm 

I accidentally broke a safety glass on an old philco set once and it was like automotive glass, two layers of glass with a plastic type material sandwiched between.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 19, 2021 11:24 pm 

If you look on Wikipedia under "Les Hoffman" you will find an interesting Hoffman history.
It also says that he used tinted surplus plexiglass and called it Easyvision to excuse its color.
I'm not sure if this is true, but, if so, has anybody seen a Hoffman with plexiglass?
I couldn't find anything else on the web about Hoffman's use of plexiglass.
====
Ron

PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 4:22 am 

If some of the Hoffman filters were actual real glass, that would certainly be an amazing and valuable filter I would think. Plexiglass or acrylic tends to craze & crack and get glistenings in it and ultimately go opaque, so if these Hoffman filters look crystal clear, I would guess they might be actual glass.

There were once all sorts of theories about eye strain with various light sources that are now debunked. It is only high energy light, like direct view of the sun, eclipses, welding torches etc that can damage the retina thermally if focused to a small spot, and high UV, can burn the corneal surface, the cornea largely blocks UV entry into the eye. TV CRTs have nowhere near enough light energy to harm the eye (unless very high EHT and generating X-rays). Most "eye strain" symptoms occur because when we concentrate, we don't blink as often and there is more corneal drying.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2021 9:22 am 

The older ones at least were laminated glass, yellow/green bonded to clear. Never seen a plastic one and I've had six or seven of them.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 21, 2021 7:20 am 

In the restoration article about my Hoffman 7M112, I included a photo of the yellow-green safety glass when it was pulled for cleaning:

As noted in the article (https://antiqueradio.org/Hoffman7M112Television.htm), the safety glass is a layer of plastic sandwiched between two panes of glass, like an auto windshield. You could see lighter (or clear) areas marking out a rectangle where the glass laid against the rim of the cabinet opening and it was protected from UV exposure.

At the time I wrote the article, I wasn't sure what to think about the clear areas. If the safety glass was originally tinted, why would the tint disappear from those covered bits? I'm no chemist, but I would expect any color in the glass itself to be pretty stable.

Or, perhaps the clear areas represent the original (light) tint, and the darker areas are caused by the sandwiched plastic darkening over time from UV exposure?

In any case, the CRT had normal white phosphor, as seen in this chassis photo without the safety glass in place:

With everything installed (including the safety glass), the picture looked faintly tinted, if at all:

I donated the set a few years ago, so I can't go back to view it again.

Overall, I found the Hoffman interesting to work on. It performed well, and it had some intriguing differences from the usual RCA or Philco sets, such as the special Rauland CRT with the mysterious "green glow" in the CRT neck to guide you when adjusting the ion trap magnet. The article has more details about that little wrinkle.

Nowadays, with the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that the Hoffman "Easy Vision" tint was a gimmick, as was the Sylvania HaloLight. Tinting the screen merely dims it a little, and putting a light immediately around the screen does nothing to reduce eyestrain.

What's needed is something like the classic TV lamp, which projects light behind the screen, creating ambient light that lessens the severe contrast between the bright screen and the dimly-lit room in which vintage TVs were normally viewed. We have a Philips TV from the early 2000s that features an "Ambi-Light" using the same principle as old-time TV lamps. It projects light from the rear of the screen into the room behind the set, using a few colored fluorescent tubes so that you can adjust the color temperature to suit different program content or room lighting conditions.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 11:51 am 

Yes, I too own one of these beauty 12" roundies.
Hoffman comes from Hoffmann, a german name,
but I cannot find a source which goes deeper back in the family history.
Anyone here who knows more?

Thanks in advance,
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN

PostPosted: Aug Mon 23, 2021 3:52 pm 

Here is a pretty good biography of Les Hoffman.
https://www.nytimes.com/1971/06/25/arch ... ncern.html

Quite a sizeable percentage of Americans have Germanic names. After all, English is a Germanic language, mixed with a bunch of French.
More Americans trace their ancestry to Germany than any other specific country, but the links are often very old. (e.g. a great, great grandparent)
Family names were often modified/misspelled when immigrants were processed by entry clerks.
====
Ron

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: Mr. Detrola, 7jp4-guy Go to page 1, 2  Next