Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 27, 2021 5:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Sam’s Photofacts
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:31 pm 

Hello, My grandfather was a TV repair man after World War II. I have inherited a garage full of equipment and file cabinet full of Sams photofacts. Are these of use to anyone or should I recycle them.

Thank you

DG

Post subject: Re: Old Sam’s Photofacts
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:52 pm 

I just put a ton of mine into the recycle a week ago along with some Ryders stuff.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:56 pm 

I've declined a number of free complete sets of Sams locally, there is currently no market for them because so many have survived.

The filing cabinets they are stored in are worth something, not a lot though, but the contents are not worth saving at this point.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 8:23 pm 

Unless there is a local interested recycle them. Shipping is beyond the value.
Offer them for free first so they not go to waste.
The cabinets if steel do have some scrap value
The other stuff may be a different story. Could even be some good $$ stuff in parts
especially SOME tubes. BTW where are you ??

73 Zeno 8)
LFOD !

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 11:32 pm 

Where are you located? Craig

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 11:47 pm 

I wouldn't say the SAMS are worthless. SAMS retains the copyright on its material after 1962, if I remember the year correctly. Although the publications before that year can be copied and passed around freely, after that year only the original printings can be distributed. Secondhand issues would be sold for less than the current cost of course. You could also give them away, you don't have to sell them. It is the copying that is not allowed by the copyright.
The equipment is probably sought out by anyone interested in adding to their collection.
The forum here has a section to sell equipment, etc.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 1:08 am 

If you are reasonably close to southeastern Wisconsin I'd be interested in some. I've been trying to get a complete collection but still have some significant gaps...if you're farther away and feel like taking a couple of hours to fill 2-4 bankers boxes with specific folders. I'd be willing to pay $50 a full bankers box plus media mail shipping if you have the folders I'm missing.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:54 am 

Being I worked on TV sets for 55+ years, I have almost all the set from #1 to 5000 or so.
Seldom use them, but when they are needed, I am glad to have them.

So if someone can use them, it is great. Several folks I know have just kept the first 600 or 1000 and tossed the rest. Just depends on what you work on.

Sometimes you can donate them to a library. Friends of the Library often have sales and I have donated thousands of duplicate Sams to them over the decades.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:14 pm 

It seems like a library in a big city, or perhaps an antique radio club, would be interested in keeping a full set for people to borrow.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 9:23 pm 

alaninsitges wrote:
It seems like a library in a big city, or perhaps an antique radio club, would be interested in keeping a full set for people to borrow.

While you would certainly think so, they take up way too much floor space for that to be practical. The last remaining public library in Metro Detroit that had Sams got rid of theirs several years back. Most radio clubs do not own a building, so they would have to rent storage space or find a member willing to allow that material to be stored in their basement.

A complete set of them takes up numerous 4 drawer filing cabinets and a lot of floor and wall space. I don't think you can cram even 100 sets into one drawer, mine are averaging around 65-75 per drawer. That gives you 300 sets in a 4 drawer cabinet, and if someone seriously has ALL of them, there are several thousand sets.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 11:04 pm 

Deepens on the vintage of the Sam's. By the 1970s all the car radios and portables, tape machines, and Stereo equipment were only in their own separate books. Many of the 1970s years and later sets only had 2 TVs and 2 radios, in contrast to the early 1960s sets that often had 5-10 TVs and even more radio/audio gear.

I've got 101-500 complete (sans 590) and patchy upto 1861. I like all TVs up to the end of the hybrid era which essentially ended in the 1975 model year. Once in a while I pick up a deltagun color solid state as a CRT donor take a shine to it and fix it up and use it so I cut off my Sam's around the 1979 model year when deltagun was being phased out by inline.

The market is weird I think I paid 10 bucks for the box of patchy stuff 100 and lower I have, paid 200 for 3 file cabinets 101-580(almost complete), then got 30 file cabinet drawers from an old parts distributor and hat covered 105-3000...but since they were a distributor there were 3 copies of some folders, 0 of other folders and lots of in-between.
What sucks is a lot of common interesting stuff is missing like the set that covers Zenith's 25MC33 roundy color.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 3:13 pm 

Without knowing where you are, this thread is useless. No one will pay to ship them, but for all I know you live down the street from me.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 4:10 pm 

ac wrote:
Without knowing where you are, this thread is useless. No one will pay to ship them, but for all I know you live down the street from me.

Could be falling on deaf ears...

Last visited: 11 Sep 2021 12:30