Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 07, 2022 9:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Royal 500-H Grill
PostPosted: May Tue 17, 2022 11:04 pm 

Hi guys, I have 2 500h's. I need to swap out the grills to make one cosmetically really nice one. Any advise on twisting the metal tabs to remove the grill without breaking them, or can I plan on the tabs breaking no matter how careful I am because of their age?

Was thinking if they do break I could use some gorilla super glue to hold the grill in place.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Zenith Royal 500-H Grill
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 12:56 am 

Gary wrote:
Hi guys, I have 2 500h's. I need to swap out the grills to make one cosmetically really nice one. Any advise on twisting the metal tabs to remove the grill without breaking them, or can I plan on the tabs breaking no matter how careful I am because of their age?

Was thinking if they do break I could use some gorilla super glue to hold the grill in place.

Thanks

Been there, done that.

Best advice I can give is to bend the tabs gently and very very, repeat VERY slowly. You probably have one attempt to bend out and back in before breaking. But there is the chance of the tabs breaking first try. If so, a dab of Duco cement should secure grill at the tab points.

Jeff

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 1:39 am 

[quote="1N770"][quote="Gary"]Hi guys, I have 2 500h's. I need to swap out the grills to make one cosmetically really nice one. Any advise on twisting the metal tabs to remove the grill without breaking them, or can I plan on the tabs breaking no matter how careful I am because of their age?

Thanks[/quote]
Been there, done that.

Best advice I can give is to bend the tabs gently and very very, repeat VERY slowly. You probably have one attempt to bend out and back in before breaking. But there is the chance of the tabs breaking first try. If so, a dab of Duco cement should secure grill at the tab points.

Jeff[/quote]
Thanks Jeff, I will give it a try when I am relaxed & not in a hurry. I did try cleaning one of the grills with Brasso, but stains were to stubborn to come out. Trying to find a junker to practice on & have some spare parts. Take Care

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 2:02 am 

Gary,

I would not use superglue. When superglue cures it can leave a white "haze" around the glued area. If the glued area is not near the exterior cabinet, superglue can be useful for glueing internal plastic parts. Strength isn't needed for a grill attachment. Duco cement is clear & dries fairly quickly.

In my area, Home Depot & Lowes don't carry Duco cement (??). I have found it in Ace Hardware. It comes in a small green tube.

Jeff

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 5:22 am 

[quote="1N770"]Gary,

I would not use superglue. When superglue cures it can leave a white "haze" around the glued area. If the glued area is not near the exterior cabinet, superglue can be useful for glueing internal plastic parts. Strength isn't needed for a grill attachment. Duco cement is clear & dries fairly quickly.

In my area, Home Depot & Lowes don't carry Duco cement (??). I have found it in Ace Hardware. It comes in a small green tube.

Jeff[/quote]
Thanks, just order some.

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 7:36 am 

Generally speaking, the metal grill tabs on most any Transistor radio can be bent twice; once to straighten them upright, in order to remove the grill, and a second time to bend them down flat again, when re-installing it.

PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2022 4:17 pm 

[quote="fifties"]Generally speaking, the metal grill tabs on most any Transistor radio can be bent twice; once to straighten them upright, in order to remove the grill, and a second time to bend them down flat again, when re-installing it.[/quote]
Thank you fifties, tabs on the 500's look pretty robust so I think I will be good to go. The only thing on the 500's that I found weak are the Zenith labels, I already replaced those & on/off switch on the volume control.

PostPosted: May Tue 24, 2022 11:43 pm 

Just an update. I did remove the grill's on two 500-H's to make one really nice one. I had to remove the grill on one of them twice, so bending those tabs 4 time all together was not a problem for me. It was my fault I had to do it twice. Anyway, thank you to all, here are the two that I swapped grill's & badges with.

Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_1794.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1794.jpg [ 683.61 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 2:17 am 

Great---glad it turned out well !

John

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 2:30 am 

Both radios look fantastic!

I have three 500H's in my Zenith collection, one of each color, along with another one I use almost daily.
And also.....a beautiful blue/gray 500H waiting on the shelf for a volume control replacement. Unfortunately
it has been waiting for too long. The volume pots were unique on this radio and will most likely come from a donor
set. But many parts sets have the same problem.

Great radios. Fun to take them out on the backyard patio in the summer evenings and receive 40-50 stations across the dial.

Jeff

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 7:57 am 

I would say that the Zenith 500H was the best receiving "pocket" radio made. Zenith had the oval speaker especially produced just for this model.

Here's mine.

Attachments:
Zenith Royal 500H.JPG
Zenith Royal 500H.JPG [ 463.05 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

PostPosted: May Wed 25, 2022 6:54 pm 

Thank you again. If it hadn't been for you guys I couldn't have done it.