Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 5:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RADIO SHACK 2 Transistor AM Radio Kit!
PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2010 10:41 pm 

Was wondering if these old radio kits that you put together were of any value or demand? Just joined the forum, lots of good info from all members.

thanks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 1:40 am 

They are now, if they are in new condition and unassembled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 3:18 am 

spider89119 wrote:
They are now, if they are in new condition and unassembled.

what would the value be if if they are in new condition and unassembled?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 4:27 am 

I don't know about the value of that particular kit, but I have seen very few unassembled radio kits on ebay over the years, and they all have sold for about 10 to 20 times what they probably cost originally.

There are so few of those around that are original and unassembled that I doubt anyone has ever attempted to create a price guide for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 4:36 am 

That's pretty much an unknown. Probably not going to hit the high-water mark for two-transistor set prices and won't get you a new pickup truck or a new washing machine. More like $20? With some luck? If it's the "right" unit in good condition when the guy who wants it the most sees it, maybe more?

You give us no pic, no model number, no info, so who's to say? On this old stuff, without a known "name,", it's all about the "look." If you're pricing it for auction, I suggest you check for similar auction listings. Or come back here with something more specific for us to have a look at if you want a more objective appraisal.

Original unassembled kits are usually more valuable, but a cheap, relatively modern "kit" won't fetch nearly as much as a truly vintage one.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 12:51 pm 

Thank you for the info,at least I have a idea now. I was in the dark on this, helps alot, thanks again. picture below

Ed in SoDak wrote:
That's pretty much an unknown. Probably not going to hit the high-water mark for two-transistor set prices and won't get you a new pickup truck or a new washing machine. More like $20? With some luck? If it's the "right" unit in good condition when the guy who wants it the most sees it, maybe more?

You give us no pic, no model number, no info, so who's to say? On this old stuff, without a known "name,", it's all about the "look." If you're pricing it for auction, I suggest you check for similar auction listings. Or come back here with something more specific for us to have a look at if you want a more objective appraisal.

Original unassembled kits are usually more valuable, but a cheap, relatively modern "kit" won't fetch nearly as much as a truly vintage one.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 1:54 pm 

Last year I managed to pick up an unbuilt Radio Shack Crystal Radio Kit in original box for $11 plus shipping.

I also got an unopened "Fun With Electronics" 25 electronic projects kit for $23 plus shipping. Kit says it was made by Andrews and McMeel of Kansas City.

Both off E-Bay, so one can still find some reasonable out there.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 11, 2010 2:10 pm 

thanks Bob....
-harv

ve1arn wrote:
Last year I managed to pick up an unbuilt Radio Shack Crystal Radio Kit in original box for $11 plus shipping.

I also got an unopened "Fun With Electronics" 25 electronic projects kit for $23 plus shipping. Kit says it was made by Andrews and McMeel of Kansas City.

Both off E-Bay, so one can still find some reasonable out there.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 12, 2010 3:10 am 

Thanks for the pic. I enjoy these older Radio Shack experimenter kits. This one probably dates from the 70's and 80's, so actually relatively recent. They probably still sell something similar, but updated for a more modern look. New they cost maybe $15 for this one?

I guess unopened will be the real draw for you and condition will be everything. It could still just as easily go for the opening bid, if that's your intention.

Myself, I'd probably just have to build it! 8)

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 12, 2010 3:34 am 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Thanks for the pic. I enjoy these older Radio Shack experimenter kits. This one probably dates from the 70's and 80's, so actually relatively recent. They probably still sell something similar, but updated for a more modern look. New they cost maybe $15 for this one?

I guess unopened will be the real draw for you and condition will be everything. It could still just as easily go for the opening bid, if that's your intention.

Myself, I'd probably just have to build it! 8)

-Ed

thanks Ed
-harv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 12, 2010 4:14 am 

I was given a radio shack crystal radio kit that looked like this two transistor kit for Christmas, 1984. I also remember seeing these in the radio shack catalog up until at least the early '90's. A little later, I got one of those "100 in 1" radio shack kits for Christmas. Both kits were solderless and had spring loaded terminals for the connections. I don't remember what happened to the crystal radio; but, the "100 in 1" eventually got used for parts for other projects.