Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got a Sears 2278 4 band portable transistor radio for $
PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2012 3:27 am 

Hi all,

I just picked up this vintage AM/FM/SW portable radio at a charity garage sale for $5 It included the manual which is in great shape.. The AC cord is missing but I popped 5 D batteries in it and it worked fine right away. I was able to clearly pick up a Pittsburgh FM station that is hard to get on modern radios here (WXDX) , also briefly tried AM and was able to Pick up WLW in Cincinnati with no problems. My main problems with the radio are the missing AC board (it is removable) and has a very small female and with close pin spacing. The biggest problem is that the pushbuttons for the bandswithch and AFC stick horrible and the other bands don't engager. before I mess something up does anyone have any suggestions for freeing the switched up. Also any idea who made this i was thinking probably Sanyo but i am not sure. Lastly what year is this form and how much was it new.

Attachment:
558579_816529566532_49107884_34932953_2060815044_n.jpg
558579_816529566532_49107884_34932953_2060815044_n.jpg [ 104.86 KiB | Viewed 2284 times ]

Thanks,

Matt

Post subject: Re: Just got a Sears 2278 4 band portable transistor radio f
PostPosted: Apr Sun 15, 2012 12:59 pm 

A Sams search shows that this radio is in TSM-108.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Tue 17, 2012 10:44 am 

Nice find, especially for 5 dollars!

I'm no expert on transistor radios but from the type of case and styling (black plastic, sturdy, chromed steel) it looks to be the same general era as a Sears Com-Trek, I have one of those that was made in 1970. So maybe late 60's, early 70's?

I also did a Google search on your radio and came up with this info (guy unfortunately doesn't know the year it was made, either):
http://www.lesswaiting.com/sears-2278.shtml

PostPosted: Apr Tue 24, 2012 10:01 am 

Matt,
Sticky push button switches can be freed up with isopropyl alcohol. Just dribble a small amount into the mechanism of each switch (the sliding metal parts, usually) and work them. Eventually, the alcohol will dissolve the dried up old grease that has gummed up the switch. Then put a small drop of oil on each mechanism (but not on the switch contacts).
Rick

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:32 am 

I just bought one of these Sears 2278 sets on e-bay. The switches on mine are dirty and the AFC switch does not lock. I am hoping that some contact cleaner will solve the problems. Cosmetically, my radio is in good condition and not missing any trim.

This radio was sold by Sears between 1967 and 1970. It is a mid sized deluxe portable made just before many portable radios changed to the "military" type styling. Sanyo was the manufacturer.

It would look right at home on a patio table or on a driveway, next to someone washing their car.

One thing I noticed is that the set has pleasing tone and good volume but does not have a solid low end sound. I wish it had a bass control like some of my German radios do. It appears that the tone control just affects treble sounds.

I am awaiting delivery of a similar Sanyo branded set and will see if that unit also has the same sound characteristics. Its possible that a recapping might add more bass, but my hunch is that it probably never had a lot of bass.

Its interesting that the Sears version has a battery strength meter that doubles as a tuning meter. I could not find a corresponding Sanyo radio version which included this meter.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 7:48 pm 

Replacing all electrolytic capacitors and adjusting the coils is mandatory for these old radios. I successfully repaired one speaker that was wheezing by wetting its paper cone with isopropyl alcohol. This softened the paper and it sounded good.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 3:18 pm 

I was given one of those. With the power cord, it looks like a coily power cord like some razors have instead of straight. Has good reception, but the switches are an issue. I had repaired the power button for not locking down. The epoxy did not hold and I have to get back into it. The switches either may need cleaned, or just worked alot to cut thru oxidation on the contacts after setting for a long time unused. I think overall a good portable radio, though. Have not used it since my move. Not going to even contemplate a shotgun recap or any major messing around like that.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 11:41 am 

Nice find for $5. I used to own one of these and I thought it was a pretty decent set.