Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 15, 2020 9:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: World's First All-Transistor Car Radio by Chrysler in 1955
PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2012 4:39 am 

Hello Everyone,

Chrysler
and Philco had developed and produced the "World's First All-Transistor car radio in 1955". This "Breaking News" was first announced in the April 28th 1955 Wall Street Journal newspaper. Chrysler had made this All-Transistor car radio Mopar model 914HR available as an "Option" in the fall time of 1955, for it "NEW" line of 1956 Chrysler and Imperial model cars. Chrysler had used the Mopar model 914HR, which was also Philco's model C-5690. Philco had originally re-designed the Mopar model 912HR, which was a 5-push button "Town and Country" AM radio, with an electronic signal-seeking search touch bar tuning and contained 9 vacuum tubes inside. Philco decided to use this "exact" same radio and re-design the inside circuitry with (11) transistors and NO vacuum tubes, making it the Chrysler Mopar 914HR or Philco C-5690 All-Transistor car radio model. And if the customer had ordered Chryler's "optional" Highway Hi-Fi in-car record player, then Philco had added an extra transistor in its circuitry, which was used as an phono pre-amplifier (2N43), and making it a total of (12) transistors inside. The letters "HR" that is printed after the model number, stands for "High Road" and contains this extra or twelfth (2N43) transistor in its circuitry. This car radio's circuitry also included the "famous" Philco Surface Barrier Transistors, which were the World's First high-speed high-frequency transistors that were developed in 1953 by Philco, and could be designed for computer usage.

The Philco Model C-5690 HR (Mopar 914HR) All-Transistor car radio, was being produced by Philco in the Fall of 1955, for the "NEW " 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models. Chrysler and Imperial 1956 car models went on sale and was available in its car dealership showrooms, on October 21st 1955. And the Philco Model C-5690 HR (Mopar 914HR) All-Transistor car radio was made an "Option" on its 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models, for a price of $150.00.

This "Rare" highly engineered All-Transistor car radio, was short lived and by the end of 1956, Chrysler had discontinued this car radio model. Chrysler had decided that it would no longer make All-Transistors car radios available for its car models, during the rest of the 1950's. And Chrysler instead decided to use "Hybrid" car radios, which contained BOTH transistors and vacuum tubes inside.

I have also made a YouTube video, which shows this 1955 Philco All-Transistor car radio. This video also contains some Chrysler dealership promotional film clips, on introduction of some of its NEW Standard and Optional equipment, that became available in the fall of 1955, for its NEW line of 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models. And finally, there is a "Rare" look at the radio's chassis, which shows all of its transistors and locations, is shown near the end of the YouTube video film.

Below is the YouTube Video link Just "Click" on it to watch .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCPDFXKcbdc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Re: World's First All-Transistor Car Radio by Chrysler in 19
PostPosted: Oct Tue 16, 2012 4:19 pm 

Hello Everyone,

Below is some more additional information on the "World's First All-Transistor Car Radio by Chrysler in 1955 .....

(Credit - Philco Don)

PostPosted: Oct Wed 17, 2012 2:20 am 

WOW---thanks very much for posting info & pics on that historic radio ! Especially great to see the detail pics of set itself... I'm sure a believer in those great surface-barrier transistors since I have a couple early Philco portable transistor sets which are excellent performers & the T805-124, in particular, is outstanding---surpassing every other radio ( tube or transistor ) I've ever used in sensitivity...

I ran across a You-Tube video of the Chrysler TV commercial promoting that radio awhile back during search for Philco Transistor radio info & posted that find in Clubhouse here---was it yours ? Have dial-up here, so can't check out your link until I again have access to hi-speed connection...

And after reading an old 1959 Popular Science article on the Philco Safari TV as a kid in 1970, was really impressed... And was fortunate enough to see one in person recently at our local antique mall---but price was out of my "budget"...

Thanks again, welcome to ARF, & keep posting !
John

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 2:19 pm 

Hello Everyone,

This is a 1955-56 Chrysler Imperial Dealership "Promotional" sales film, that was originated from a 1955 Chrysler Imperial commercial, that aired on the television show "Climax"
around Labor Day (Sept) 1955. The Chrysler Imperial commercial, starring Bill Lundigan, had advertised Chrysler's "New Invention", which was the "World's First All-Transistor car radio
(Mopar model 914HR)" that was developed and produced by Chrysler and Philco in 1955
. Chrysler had made this All-Transistor car radio (Mopar model 914HR) an "option"
on its "New" line of 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models, which were available for sale in its dealerships starting on October 21, 1955. Chrysler had also made a "Promotional" sales film,
that included its original commercial, and had sent it out to its dealerships. They were used to train the salesman on its "New" car options, that were available for its 1956 Chrysler
and Imperial car models.

Below is the 1955-56 Chrysler Imperial Dealership "Promotional" sales film, that had came from an "old" closed-down Chrysler dealer and I also put on it Youtube...

Below is the YouTube Video. Just "Click" on it to watch .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz3JkFnvBuA

Enjoy

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 6:07 pm 

I had a 56 DeSoto when I was 18. immaculate. Firedome Hemi V8. two speed push button drive. humongous oil bath air filter. 250 bucks. radio didnt work. took it out to install a working 8-track. what did I know about radios at 18. nothing. wish I had the car and the radio today. just to drive one again would be a real treat

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 10:24 pm 

Hi TubeAMP,

Just to let you know ........

Chrysler did not offer the Mopar 914HR All-Transistor car radios as an "option" on the 1956 Dodge, DeSoto, or Plymouth car models.
This "option" was only available on the 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models. And this "option" was discontinued by Chrysler,
when its New line of 1957 car models came out.

The 1956 DeSoto had used (2) different AM radios, for its car models. One was a Mopar Model 843, that was a 6-push button
AM vacuum tube radio. And the other one offered was a Mopar Model 911, that was a 5-push button with signal-seeking "Electro-Touch"
tuning bar, AM vacuum tube radio. Both of these radio models were manufactured by Motorola.

(Internet source unknown)

Finally, it sounds that you had a really nice 1956 DeSoto "Firedome" car and that you also had a lot of enjoyment from it !

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 6:55 pm 

The Mopar models 910 (Dodge), and 911 (DeSoto) were made by Motorola, but used a Delco FST tuner. The give-away is the little plastic tabs behind the flip-down door, used to set the “Favorite Station” push-buttons.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 9:10 pm 

Hi Meade,

"Thanks" for the update on the 1956 Mototola Mopar Models 910 & 911 "Town and Country" vacuum tube car radios using Delco tuners.
I also noticed that the "little" flip-down metal cover for the push button station adjustments, is missing from the Mopar Model 910 radio that is shown above.

I have also attached a photo of the 1956 Dodge Mopar Model 910 (9 vacuum tubes), which is exactly the same as the 1956 DeSoto Mopar Model 911 (9 vacuum tubes).

You will also noticed that the Mopar Model 910 has the letters "HR" after it. This means that the customer had also ordered the "optional" 1956 Highway Hi-Fi
in-car record player. And the radio will also have additional circuitry wiring and a plug-in socket installed in the back of the radio's cabinet, so the Highway Hi-Fi
record player can be plugged into it.

Finally, Chrysler did NOT offer the the "optional" Mopar Model 914HR (Philco made -Model C-5690) All-Transistor car radios for the 1956 Dodge cars.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:17 pm 

I’m not sure that every Mopar radio with the “HR” suffix was for a customer ordered Hi-Way Hi-Fi. I have serviced more than a few HR models that had a jumper installed in the socket to complete the audio circuit.

That socket is also a convenient place to tie in an ipod or cd input to the radio, as long as you avoid the filament and B+ connections that were also present on the socket.
Attachment:
Mopar Highway Hi-Fi socket.jpg
Mopar Highway Hi-Fi socket.jpg [ 207.31 KiB | Viewed 4809 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 4:13 pm 

Hi Meade,

The "HR" suffix after the 1956 Mopar car radios, was to indicated that the radio was specially designed for customers who had ordered the "optional" Highway Hi-Fi in-car phonographs. Not only did these radios have a special "plug-in" socket adapter on the back of the radio's cabinet, but is also had slightly different circuitry inside.

I have attached a photo, which shows that schematics of the 1956 Chrysler Mopar models 844(C-5609) and 844HR(C-5609HR) 6-push button Eight vacuum tubes car radios, that was taken from the 1956 Philco service manual. And shown in this schematics, you will see in the "foot notes" that are at the bottom, the additional changes for Mopar 844HR - people that have ordered the Highway Hi-Fi record player option. Some of the changes for the 844HR, are the "addition" of resistors R25, R26 and also socket adapter J3, that has been added to the radio's circuitry. The regular Mopar model 844, does not have these added components in its circuitry.

I have also attached two photos that came from the 1956 Chrysler owners manual, which are pages 12 and 13. And on page 12, you will see the "notes" on the Mopar model 844. Then on page 13, you will see the "notes" on the Mopar model 844HR, which states it has the additional Highway Hi-Fi plug-in adapter.

Finally, as far as you comments on the metal jumper clip that is installed in the Highway Hi-Fi adapter.... These metal jumper clips was used, in case the customer had removed the Highway Hi-Fi phonograph from their car or the radio in for repairs. If you just disconnected and removed the phonograph, and had not installed this metal jumper clip back into the socket adapter, then the radio would not work properly.

Note: It is "funny" how Chrysler uses the wording "Hi-Way High-Fi" and also the wording " Highway Hi-Fi" in its different information materials !

PostPosted: Nov Fri 02, 2012 3:23 am 

Hello Everyone,

I also found additional information on the 1955 Chrysler Imperial Mopar Model 914HR All-Transistor car radio,
which was the World's First Alll-Transistor car radio to be developed and produced ...

(credit: Philco Don)

(credit: Philco Don)

Below is a 1956 Chrysler Imperial sales car brochure, which shows the "optional" Mopar Model 914HR All-Transistor car radio.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 11, 2012 4:44 am 

Hello Everyone,

I happen to find "additional" information materials on the 1955 Chrysler Mopar model 914HR All-Transistor car radio ....

Below is an article that was written in the 1955 December issue of Motor Life ...

Below is a 1956 Chrysler Imperial "Color" sales car brochure ......

The 1955 Chrysler Mopar 914HR All-Transistor car radio, was an "option" on the 1956 Chrysler and Imperial car models. Chrysler had discontinued this particular All-Transistor car radio, when its "New" 1957 line of car models came out. And Chrysler had decided to start using "Hybrid" (Transistors and Vacuum Tubes) car radios in its cars.

I hope that everyone is enjoying the above info.