Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 25, 2020 5:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Here's some of my collection
PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2016 6:21 pm 

Joe - Nice collection of early Sony transistor radios! The Sony TR-75 is one of the few Sony radios I've managed to collect so far, but it works great, after I replaced one capacitor. The TR-75 even has 4 of the early Sony oval transistors.

Attachments:
Sony_TR-75_Components.JPG
Sony_TR-75_Components.JPG [ 46.39 KiB | Viewed 3359 times ]
Sony_TR-75_Transistor_Radio.JPG
Sony_TR-75_Transistor_Radio.JPG [ 41.62 KiB | Viewed 3359 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Wed 06, 2016 9:14 pm 

^ That's a NICE looking radio!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2016 12:48 am 

Agreed - he got a better color than mine.
Mark - the coat pocket sized Sony's do seem to perform well, probably due to the good sized ferrite antenna. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2016 1:30 am 

Wow, what a neat collection, Joe !

Is Marconi a Canadian company that "re-brands" other manufacturers sets ? Noticed the Emerson set in earlier post..

John

PostPosted: Apr Thu 07, 2016 3:31 am 

Canadian Marconi Company was a manufacturer of tube equipment from the 1920's, making consumer radios and TV's, as well as lots of military equipment.
When the transistor age came, they transitioned in the military equipment only - of course where the money is. To uphold the consumer end, they had Emerson and Toshiba build radios for (I believe) as long as they remained in the consumer market. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Fri 08, 2016 9:00 pm 

Joe - I was surprised that I won the bid for the Sony TR-75 at a relatively low price, probably because you don't see many for sale on eBay. - Mark

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2016 3:49 am 

Mark - you certainly got a nice one there. Sometimes timing and quality of the ad makes all the difference. I have sometimes been shocked that my lowball bid has won some radios - I guess that's how I ended up with three TR-72's...
Could also be that since the early Sony's were not widely distributed in the USA, there is (was?) less nostalgic value in them. The collectors are much more well-informed now, so fewer of them escape the bidding frenzy that occurs on the desirable types. - Joe

PostPosted: Apr Sun 10, 2016 2:22 am 

A few more for tonight:

Attachments:
Toshiba Triplets.JPG
Toshiba Triplets.JPG [ 98.91 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Greys.JPG
Greys.JPG [ 86.3 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Blacks.JPG
Blacks.JPG [ 109.73 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Reds.JPG
Reds.JPG [ 85.13 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Futura 3TR.JPG
Futura 3TR.JPG [ 71.12 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Trans-ette.JPG
Trans-ette.JPG [ 96.54 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Bulova.JPG
Bulova.JPG [ 107.12 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]
Common chassis.JPG
Common chassis.JPG [ 155.31 KiB | Viewed 3287 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Mon 11, 2016 5:29 pm 

Joe - I see you also have a Futura 3 transistor radio, which is the first radio I ever owned, getting it for Christmas. Unfortunately, I let someone use the radio and it was damaged. I kept the speaker and recently put it in a Toshiba 8TP-90 as it was the same size and specifications as the original, which had stopped working. I've thought of getting another Toshiba parts radio and putting the correct speaker in the 8TP-90, but I like that my Futura speaker has finally found a home and is once again working!

Attachments:
Futura_3_Transistor_Radios.JPG
Futura_3_Transistor_Radios.JPG [ 44.18 KiB | Viewed 3262 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2016 2:50 am 

Mark - I'd be devastated if the very first radio I owned had been damaged. Is it truly beyond repair?
I see there are a couple of differences between yours and mine - mine has a white volume knob - I've only seen one other photo of one with a white knob. Mine also has a slot screw holding the front on, as opposed to a philips screw on all others I've seen, No way to know if it's original or not.
I've never seen a different brand name - what's the brand on the left one in your photo? I can't quite make it out. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2016 8:03 pm 

Joe - My older brother told me recently that someone working at our house had borrowed my radio and dropped it. I don't remember the event and probably wasn't at home that day. It seems that the only piece of the radio I was able to salvage was the speaker, although I believe I got a Universal 6 Transistor Radio for a present as a replacement.

The other radio is labeled "-Happi-time-" and I believe it was sold at Sears. My Futura originally came in a nice silver box, with the "-Happi-time-" sold in a clear plastic case. Both radios have a Phillips screw securing the clear plastic cover. The Futura radio does not have a plug for an earphone like the one I originally owned. I bought the "-Happi-time-" radio because the plastic was cracked on the Futura and I wanted to replace it. The back cover of the "-Happi-time-" was missing, which is probably why I got it for so little money, but I found it still worked!

Attachments:
Toshiba_8TP90_2.JPG
Toshiba_8TP90_2.JPG [ 44.5 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]
Futura_3_Transistor_Radios_Components.JPG
Futura_3_Transistor_Radios_Components.JPG [ 46.89 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Mon 18, 2016 11:12 pm 

Mark - just spotted on eBay another Futura the same as mine - white volume knob, slot screw, no headphone jack. Can't post the link here but it should be easy to find. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2016 11:41 pm 

Joe - Thanks for the posting about the Futura 3 transistor radio that is for sale on eBay. Besides having a white-colored volume control and a regular screw holding down the clear plastic cover, it doesn't have an earphone jack like the one I have. I wonder if eliminating the earphone jack was a cost-savings measure? - Mark

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 2:59 am 

Mark - I guess that depends on the timeline that they built them. If they started with the 2 transistor sets that only had the earphone output, then transitioned to the ones with speakers, and had surplus jacks to install in the new model, that might explain it.
Did you spot the 2 transistor version of the Medallion (Maliou, Maliau?) on an old thread? - http://antiqueradios.com/forums//viewto ... 4&t=212856
The thread correctly points out that the Medallion is actually a 2 transistor radio, as one of them is used as a diode - i hadn't looked at the schematic to notice that before. It also has an earphone jack! Will have to keep an eye out for one.
Any chance you still have the back of your original one? It would be interesting to see if the schematic on the back shows the earphone jack, as the 2 transistor does. and whether the drawing is dated before or after 16-3-59 as on mine. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 10:42 pm 

Joe - One of the Futura 888s I have is missing the cover, which unfortunately is the one with the earphone jack, but the other one says that it is "Made IN U.S.A.," but the layout, dated 10-3-58, doesn't show an earphone ("EPJ") and I can see that one of the transistors is a Raytheon T50339A 6043. Both Futura 888s are exactly the same, except one has an earphone jack. Since the Futura 888 is the first transistor radio I ever owned, I wanted one for my collection and would also want to get a Futura Malibu. I have a Futura All Transistor Radio, which says is a "reflex circuit transistor radio," but only has an earphone and no speaker. The Futura All Transistor Radios does work, although it only picks up about 5 stations. - Mark

Attachments:
Earphone_Radios_2.JPG
Earphone_Radios_2.JPG [ 43.28 KiB | Viewed 3150 times ]

Last edited by 3Transistors on Apr Wed 20, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 10:49 pm 

3Transistors wrote:
I have a Futura All Transistor Radio, which says is a "reflex circuit transistor radio," but only has an earphone and no speaker. The Futura All Transistor Radios does work, although it only picks up about 5 stations. - Mark

Have you re-capped it?
I have a Philmore two Transistor reflex radio which I built from kit form. The reflex circuitry enables it to act as if it had 3 Transistors.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 11:01 pm 

fifties - I bought the Futura All Transistor Radio from a collector on eBay, who did replace the electrolytic capacitors and one transistor. I'll have to go through my files to find out which transistor was replaced as I believe he pointed that out when the radio was for sale on eBay. - Mark

PostPosted: Apr Wed 20, 2016 11:07 pm 

Hey Mark,
a few years back I too replaced the E-caps and subbed a newer Transistor in my set, which made quite a difference. The older Silicon Transistors do seem to decrease in their ability over the years.

Richard

PostPosted: Apr Thu 21, 2016 2:09 pm 

Oddly, mine still has the original Rubicon caps in it, and it still works well enough that I'll leave them there. Any cheap modern caps I put in it are just as likely to fail before I move it on, so I'll wait until then and reevaluate. Joe

PostPosted: Apr Mon 25, 2016 12:54 am 

Joe - The bidding on the Futura 3 transistor radio has reached $27.00 and I noticed that one of the transistors is missing! I looked at my Futura radio and found that the one transistor which uses a socket is the one that is missing on the radio on eBay. No wonder that the seller says the Futura radio doesn't work! - Mark

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 78 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next