Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 08, 2021 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Shack DX-375 mod
PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 12:24 am 

Greetings...
Would anyone happen to know the mod to eliminate muting when changing frequency on this radio?

I recently repaired one for my brother and have been searching everywhere for the correct mod, but so far no luck.

I found one online that involves cutting two jumper wires by the SIP, but this totally disables the audio.
I also found a few references that involved removing a diode, but can not find any reference to which one it is, and I can not find any schematic for the radio online.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Radio Shack DX-375 mod
PostPosted: Sep Wed 06, 2017 2:37 am 

I did the wire-snip mod. The auto-seek is circumvented; this works better for me, since all stations are heard as you tune up or down.

The unmodified auto-seek was less than useful. It skipped a lot of weaker stations, yet annoyingly stopped at every QRM put out by any electrical noise in the home as well as those SW RTTY and other tone-based radio services. On BCB at my location, only one or two of seven locals were deemed worthy of seek approval. At night, almost every spot on the dial was busy enough with heterodyning jumbles to stop the seek as soon as it began.

To step manually with the stock DX-375, I had to wait a full second for the radio to unmute to hear if there was a station or not. Now, with no audio mute delays, I just tap or hold the up or down buttons and get a quick idea of what's coming in.

The mod is reversible and a small switch could be added to enable/disable muting. The mute is a moot point for me these days, I mostly tune a few favorites using the presets.

Here's the text I copied off the web long ago on how to do the wire-snip mod:

>>>DX-375 Mute Mod

Remove the batteries and then remove the back cover by removing the 4 retaining screws. DO NOT remove the screw about an inch directly below the whip antenna base! It holds the whip on. There will be a certain amount of "fiddling" to get the back off due to the plastic section that the volume control is inserted thru and other annoying "binding" do-dads. Also, do not lose the tone switch plastic slide mechanism when the back is removed. When the back is removed the rear of the main pc board should be visible. Remove the 2 silver screws that secures this board. Unclip the lower part of the board from the plastic snap clips. It is not necessary to do this on the top side where the ferrite loopstick is. Carefully lift the lower part of the board up until you can look under it on the component side near the volume control. There are two wire jumpers about a half-inch long with black sleeving on them that are located on either side of a 9 pin SIP IC package (one of the audio amps).!

They are parallel to the SIP package and run along each side of the IC. These are the mute lines to each SIP audio IC. Carefully cut both of them and you're done. Now put the thing back together and you will find the tuning much faster and easier. Don't forget to replace the silver screws on the main PC board and the tone switch slide mechanism.<<<

PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2017 12:38 pm 

Until you mod the radio, when tuning up a band (usually AM or FM anymore) I watch the red tuner LED for signals. It will respond long before the mute unmutes.

I mostly use my DX-375 for MW, and sometimes for FM, especially since SW has been fair-to-dead the past year or so. It's an awesome MW/AM receiver (the 140mm loopstick helps with that), and the mute doesn't really get much in the way for MW, so it has never bothered me.

I either direct enter a channel, use the memory, or just tune up the band. The one second wait doesn't bother me all that much, so I never looked into doing the mod.

PS, if the power seems slow to kick in after the batteries have been in the radio a while, the batteries might have been jostled just enough to slow the start of the radio: a plastic shim in the back of my battery compartment solved that issue.

Good luck with your mod, and enjoy your DX-375.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 08, 2017 6:10 pm 

That's certainly true. I'd forgotten the LED. I did that myself. There's plenty of weaker signals that do not trigger it though.

The unmute delay got annoying when I would single step tuning to DX. I would tune around while laying in bed and didn't want to have to watch the radio as well as wait to listen or have to back up to return to the frequency that had just flashed the LED briefly while scanning with audio muted.

A switch for the mod would be ideal as you could have it either way.
-Ed