Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 22, 2019 3:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal D7000Y
PostPosted: Dec Sat 08, 2018 11:48 pm 

Hi,

I recently bought one of these beautiful receivers. I want to take it apart and clean and lubricate any areas that need it and hopefully fix a couple of small issues.

Is there a good plan to follow when doing this? I have read many posts and have gathered a lot of information so far. The tuning dial seems a little tight to turn and I have not seen anything mentioning where to lubricate that part or if it is even possible to do?

One strange problem is that when the FM band is on the dial will be on a station and the station will be there and then be gone. If I move the dial one way or another the station is still close by. AFC seems to have no effect on this issue. Any suggestions for this problem?

Another question. On very strong stations there is distortion. If I turn down the RF gain the distortion goes away but I wasn't sure if this is normal behavior for this radio?

I have mostly worked on tube radios so this transistor stuff is new for me. Any advice or suggestions are very welcome. I appreciate any recommendations. Thank you. I look forward to digging into this radio. I love it already.

Post subject: Re: Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal D7000Y
PostPosted: Dec Mon 10, 2018 9:56 am 

I haven't removed my radios chassis so I can't help with that. What I do know is that you should tune FM with the AFC off then once you have found the frequency center turn on AFC and is should keep you on that station. If the station is week a stronger station can pull you off frequency. In that case you need to leave the AFC off.

The manual gain control is usually only needed when tuning very weak signals on SW. Too much gain will cause distortion, especially for strong local stations. If you turn the knob full left it will click, much like a power/volume control. That click puts the radio into AGC mode and defeats the manual gain control. I find it best to leave it in AGC unless I need to pull in something really weak.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 1:44 am 

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the explanation. After reading your post about the FM AFC, what I am experiencing is normal. I was trying to listen to distant stations and the AFC was going for the closer more powerful stations. After using the switch and experimenting I have a better idea how it works now.

I just bought a User's Manual and that will hopefully be here soon. I bought the Service Manual and have that on hand but that does not help me with the basic operation of the radio. I am sure the User's Manual will help.

After reading your post I also played around with the manual gain control as you mentioned. When I leave it in the AGC position it works perfect without distortion.

It seems the radio's issues thus far have been due to my lack of understanding of it's basic controls. lol

Thanks again Andy!

PostPosted: Dec Wed 12, 2018 2:25 am 

The service manual and operating guide are both available on-line for free.

Ask here next time... :)
Greg.

Edit: If you are impatient, shoot me your e-mail address via PM (private message) and I will send it as an attachment.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 18, 2018 4:37 am 

Once you remove the chassis, it is fairly easy to disassemble the cabinet for cleaning. Unless you have a good memory, though, it's a good idea to take photos or make sketches as you go along, and put small parts and screws in little bags and label them, or you may end up with some left over parts and no idea where they go. Don't ask how I know. :oops:

Attachment:
10B35509-3EE8-420E-94F7-01F234F9B4EC-571-0000004D1050FCF0.jpeg
10B35509-3EE8-420E-94F7-01F234F9B4EC-571-0000004D1050FCF0.jpeg [ 136.36 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]