Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sangean PR-D5
PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 12:57 am 

Goodwill had a Chinese copy of a Crosley and this Sangean in the stack of radios yesterday. Both were $7 and I took a chance on the Sangean since I know they make some good multiband radios. The PR-D5 turns out to be a state-of-the-art AM radio and is able to outperform my Drake SW4A with an AN-100 tunable loop. I'm glad to find that there are still some good AM radios even if they aren't made in the US. You may want to be on the lookout for one of these at the thrift stores.

Jay
Attachment:
Sangean_PR-D5_2.JPG
Sangean_PR-D5_2.JPG [ 242.62 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sangean PR-D5
PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 1:08 am 

The Sangean makes a good bathroom radio/clock. I've been using the single speaker version for about 10yrs.
Runs on 3 D batteries, for about 12-14 months. Only use it in the mornings for 45 minutes

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 5:05 am 

I picked up a Sangean ATS-803A for the right price (free), and it is actually a very nice performer. The only issue that I have had is that the knob for the frequency selection isn't exactly linear, i.e., it tends to jump around a lot. I have cleaned the contacts, but to no avail. Otherwise, a very nice radio.

-Bryan

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 5:20 am 

I have the clear cased prison version of the PR-D5. It has a rubber duckie instead of the telescoping antenna, and is also missing some of the features that the consumer version has. But it has great reception and sound, and I'm still on the same set of Duracell batteries that I put in when I bought it almost three years ago.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 1:38 pm 

Great find!

I have a PR-D5 and use it every night for listening, as well as MW DXing.

If any of the buttons go wonky, pull the plug, pull the batteries for about 30 seconds, and then replug, reinstall, etc.

Sometimes -- if the radio sees power continuously for months at a time -- the power button, or another button, will act funky. You'll need to press it two or three times for it to click in, stuff like that....

The re-set fixes it.

If it was made after 2012 it has a DSP chip inside, and twin coil 200mm ferrite antenna on AM.

If it was made before then, it has a PLL chip and standard 200mm ferrite antenna on AM.

Both versions are excellent on AM, and the radio sounds great on FM, too. A good portable.