Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 8:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UNBELIEVABLE Ebay find---'57 Hoffman Solaradio BP-411 !!
PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 4:38 pm 

John - Will your Hoffman BP-411 work if you use a solar panel from a Hoffman BP-706 which only puts out 4.5 volts? - Mark

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 5:03 pm 

Possibly, Mark, since the rechargeable batteries used were 1.25 V for total output of 5 Volts.

I'm not against using newer solar elements that will fit without disturbing handle in any way since I'm keeping ALL original parts & pieces for future owner. Just need to be of proper dimensions...

Still looking for a bench-top drill-press or adapter nearby to borrow or buy if cheap enough to finish the new handle cover I made.

Still marvel at the cabinet styling of radio for that time period---very unique design by Sony...

John

PostPosted: Nov Fri 01, 2019 1:36 am 

(Still looking for a bench-top drill-press or adapter nearby to borrow or buy if cheap enough to finish the new handle cover I made.)

John, have you got a Harbor Freight store near you? They have a nice 8 inch 5 speed drill press that with a coupon can be had for 50 bucks. I have one in my garage workshop and one in my electronics shop in my basement.

I do enjoy reading your posts. Your work is exceptional! !

Al

PostPosted: Nov Fri 01, 2019 3:10 am 

Thanks very much for the good words, Al !

I've found a few good name-brand used ones in area for around that price, but am on a very tight budget now being out of work (with looming electric heating bills) and am trying to find one that someone is just trying to get rid of and may need some cleaning and work. Or one to simply borrow for the three holes and countersinks... Haven't talked to everyone I know yet and think that something will eventually show up...

Appreciate your suggestion though !

John

PostPosted: Nov Fri 01, 2019 4:35 am 

John - Maybe you'll find a drill press at a local garage sale. As for jobs, both my sister and brother-in-law were laid-off at age 60 and recently got new jobs as they have two kids in college and it is expensive!!! Their oldest daughter graduated last year and is a high school math teacher, but I think the other two kids are going to take longer to graduate........ - Mark

PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 5:02 am 

Found a drill-press on Craigslist yesterday---A Delta 11-950 8" in nice shape for $30. Around an 80-mile round-trip, but worth it (car gets 30+ MPG)... Guy & his wife had downsized and wanted it gone. Works well, but missing the drilling-depth adjustment screw assembly---plan to make one if threading standard. Have downloaded the owner manual. Got it all cleaned up and am going to bring it into house tomorrow to do the job since the garage is cold & unheated...

Also received a surprise envelope from Shaun (Thanks again !) containing a later Hoffman solar module which appears to use same cells as this set. Unfortunately, it appears as though it got jammed in USPS sorting equipment and was broken in half shattering a couple of the cells. Hope I'll be able to have enough now to put together the two banks for this radio since those topside solder lines are so fragile...

Stay tuned !

John

Attachments:
ARF HOF SLR CELLS 4-HARVEST 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF SLR CELLS 4-HARVEST 11-11-19.jpg [ 187.43 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Last edited by xrhonda91 on Nov Tue 12, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 5:52 am 

Hello All,

Finally got the solar handle cover completed today !

Set up shop on dining room table since garage unheated---pic below... Made drilling-depth adjuster with piece of proper size all-thread, nuts, and washer. Used 7/64 bit for through holes and a 13/64 for countersinks after setting drilling depth limit. Used Craftsman bits which were rated for plastic as well as metal & wood. Practiced on a scrap piece of plexiglass to make sure all okay.

Put small pieces of masking tape on top and bottom of plexiglass where holes were to be drilled. Installed white plastic spacers which I made to make up for the molded and reverse painted ends of original cover that were broken off and missing. Tightly taped it all together before drilling. Once through holes complete, removed cover and carefully drilled countersinks to proper depth. One end hole has tiny stress cracks all around perimeter (which I sure hope doesn't become worse), but others appear perfect.

Removed all tape and cleaned plexiglass gently with Isopropyl alcohol to remove slight adhesive residue. Assembled the handle and attached to radio using only brass flat washers behind thumbscrews for now since I don't have the proper wave-washers yet.

Was surprised how "tippy" the radio was with this "clunky" handle without the arms being slotted like the later models which allowed it to be lowered to reasonable height. Just walking near table caused enough vibration to cause it to "wobble" dangerously ! Very easy to imagine that many were destroyed by falls shortly after purchase !

Realize that the "plain" handle (without the engraved & painted SOLARADIO script) makes this radio much more rare (only one I and others have ever seen), but it sure takes away from the appearance !

The thumbscrews that Shaun made sure look great---thanks VERY much, once again !

Last thing to do is try to assemble two working banks of solar cells for handle---hope this can be done successfully using remaining good elements from junked array that Shaun recently sent me...

Pics below---the bottom piece in the handle parts pic is what was left of original handle cover.

John

Attachments:
ARF DINING SHOP 11-11-19.jpg
ARF DINING SHOP 11-11-19.jpg [ 476.9 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
ARF HOF HNDL PRTS 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF HNDL PRTS 11-11-19.jpg [ 291.19 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
ARF HOF HNDL TGTHR BOT 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF HNDL TGTHR BOT 11-11-19.jpg [ 270.41 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
ARF HOF HNDL-ON TOP 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF HNDL-ON TOP 11-11-19.jpg [ 195.13 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
ARF HOF HNDL-ON BK 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF HNDL-ON BK 11-11-19.jpg [ 497.04 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]
ARF HOF HNDL-ON FRT 11-11-19.jpg
ARF HOF HNDL-ON FRT 11-11-19.jpg [ 589.49 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Tue 12, 2019 3:06 pm 

That is a great looking radio. Excellent work, as always. I see what you mean about the potential for falling over, very top heavy.
As for the drill press on the dining table, that’s one of the advantages of being single!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 12:23 am 

Thanks Colin ! Still feel awkward using the dining table as a bench---my folks bought it new when they bought their first house in 1958...

Completed the solar array section of handle today and finished the radio !

Carefully disassembled the two pieces of the junked solar module that Shaun had sent and cleaned/inspected the elements. Looked as though there were enough good to rebuild the two solar arrays for this Solaradio handle. Selected the best group of cells from each half and removed them by applying bead of solder on bottom side and moving iron tip quickly across both directions until unwanted sections dropped off. To complete each of the two arrays, tinned the solder stripe on (+) side of silicon element (which were much more robust than the older Solaradio cells) and carefully positioned it at edge of bottom side of other group. Gently taped both sections to table using masking tape to prevent movement during soldering. Carefully applied bead of solder across edge on backside---again moving iron tip both directions quickly until solder on stripe flowed and bonded with backside of adjacent element. Attached tinned lead-clippings to ends of completed arrays with the one for center connection carefully measured, trimmed, formed, and soldered so that they would fit properly within their clear plastic enclosures and handle cavities. After both done, thoroughly and carefully cleaned flux off of top sides with Q-tips and Isopropyl alcohol. Checked voltage output with meter under ring-lite and they were working, thankfully !

Cut two very thin strips of soft foam rubber to place beneath array housings which presses them into contact with handle cover (when installed) to secure. Placed housing bottoms into handle cavities, then very gently laid the two connected solar-cell arrays in place making sure that the leads were within their tiny slots in plastic. Set top covers of housings into position---decided not to glue since the foam rubber keeps everything together fine and that they'd be easier to service if ever necessary. At least they are all original Hoffman elements thanks to Shaun !

Soldered lead clippings, also, to handle ends (very much like the original bus-wire used) and carefully filed away excess solder so they'd fit handle ends properly. Temporarily installed screws & nuts to hold handle arm ends in place for wiring with top cover off. Formed leads on array ends with tiny loops to engage those from handle arms. Carefully soldered and pressed them down into handle recesses. Supporting the handle on old plastic paint canister, very carefully removed screws so that arms wouldn't pull out of handle ends. Installed home-made white plastic spacer/covers at ends and gently installed new handle cover with end screws in place. Holding each nut in position on handle bottom, lightly tightened each end screw. Then installed center screw and nut before finally snugging all three.

Checked voltage output again at handle arms before attaching to radio.

There was bright sunshine to back of house a little after 3 PM, so turned on radio and held it toward window in family-room. It was already tuned to my oldies station and it loudly began playing Sonny & Cher !!! VERY grateful that it's finally complete and working well ! Many thanks again to Shaun for his outstanding help with the thumbscrews and solar-cell elements !

Pics below---the last one shows this great radio with it's younger "siblings". Am still searching for a handle for the red Trans-Solar...

John

Attachments:
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS1.jpg
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS1.jpg [ 479.45 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS2.jpg
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS2.jpg [ 124.81 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS INSTLLD.jpg
ARF SOLAR ARRAYS INSTLLD.jpg [ 137.09 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
ARF SOLAR HNDL CMPLT.jpg
ARF SOLAR HNDL CMPLT.jpg [ 134.29 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
ARF SOLARADIO DONE.jpg
ARF SOLARADIO DONE.jpg [ 577.4 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
ARF HOF SOLAR COLLECTION.jpg
ARF HOF SOLAR COLLECTION.jpg [ 556.83 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:19 am 

Excellent!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 3:08 am 

Fantastic work! I'm often amazed at just how nice your radios look after your amazing restorations.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:52 am 

John - Another fantastic restoration! - Mark

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 5:54 pm 

Thanks very much, Guys---am sure grateful that this one is done and turned out well !

John

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 6:55 pm 

:D :mrgreen: :D

Attachments:
CLAP.gif
CLAP.gif [ 263.12 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3