Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 03, 2020 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith R7000-2 band switch problem
PostPosted: Feb Mon 07, 2011 5:30 am 

Hello, I'm having trouble trying to figure out the best way to repair my R7000-2 band switch. The detent switch from what I've read has come apart. The radio no longer clicks into each band. From what I've read, this is a common problem with R7000 series radios (not Royals). Has anyone repaired their R7000 with this problem and if so did you need new parts. How hard was it to repair, and anything else you can tell me would be very much appreciated.
Thankyou!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 08, 2011 5:55 am 

This is a complex problem with no easy solution. What happens is a small E-clip holds together the detent assembly. If that comes off, the 2 halves come apart losing the 2 springs and 2 balls. Chassis has to come out and the thin metal flat "rod" has to come out from about seven switch wafers sealed in plastic. Then the detent assembly can be removed from chassis. Mine broke the end of the plastic part that bears the pressure exerted on the E-clip. I haven't found a permanent fix but melted it back on with a pencil iron until I can engineer something else. Proper orientation between all the switch wafers AND the front dial drum is very important. Take a Sharpie and mark everything before disassembly. Also, there is some old glue where the shaft meets all those wafers you'll have to deal with before it will slide out. GOOD LUCK!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 09, 2011 4:02 am 

Hi MBIRD97x. Thanks for the information. At this point I really don't know what to do with this R7000-2. I'm already in it plenty of $$$. Condition wise it's a solid 9. I'm half tempted to sell it on Ebay with the band switch noted and just get rid of the headache. I really can't do this kind of repair myself. I got a repair quote from a shop who repairs R7000-2s. They said it was a big job and wanted big $$$ to do the repair. This R7000-2 is turning into a money pit. I wanted the R7000-2 to round off my collection but at this point I'm really loosing interest. I also have a 1000-1 a 3000-1 and a D7000Y. I'm very happy with all three of these Royal series radios. They are really cool and work great!
Any additional input would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 09, 2011 1:19 pm 

Once the bandswitch is in position for each band does it stay there even without the detent? If not, perhaps you can place a piece of felt under the knob to provide friction. If the set works OK, why not just use it as is?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Wed 09, 2011 8:11 pm 

If it is any consolation, the R7000-2 I own suffers the same problem. From previous members input on the subject over the last few years it seems a common failure and one not worth the effort fixing. I understand the need to have everything working as new but sometimes things like this are better off left as is.

Bruce Webster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 10, 2011 3:48 am 

Thanks Dave & Bruce. The bands do hold just fine, I really wanted it to work like it came from the factory but your suggestion of using it as it is makes a lot of since. The repair shop said in any case get the ball bearings out of the chassis as they could cause a short. Now I'm really thinking. Thanks a lot for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 10, 2011 4:01 am 

Mine still works OK but I wonder when it's going to break?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Thu 10, 2011 9:43 pm 

Yes, Not "IF" but "WHEN"!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Mon 14, 2011 1:15 am 

Interesting......my R7000-2 did the same thing as this thread describes. I did not completely disassemble the band switch shaft but just loosened the two set screws that hold the white plastic band switch gear and slid it back as far as it would go (after marking the relationship with the black drum gear it mates with). The clip recess was broken on the white gear shaft and the clip missing (not in the radio). This now should expose the two detent balls and springs that are in pockets of the white gear. After fishing out the balls, I used a fine tweezer and removed the springs from the gear pockets.....a delicate procedure. Once the springs were out, I cut them down by one coil to reduce the pressure needed to make the detents work as now the two set screws will be the only thing holding the assembly together after assembly (the clip end was non functional). After fishing the springs back into the gear pockets (cut end first) I used some vasaline on the end of a flattened toothpick and used it to place the balls on top of the springs (holding the chassis/shaft vertically). Once this magic act was completed I slid the gear/spring/ball assembly to mate up with the plastic black detent ring assuring that the gear alignment teeth with the drum was correct (critical to band switch/drum correlation). After achieving this and holding it closed with my fingers, I tightened one set screw to hold things in place, then rotated the band selector to expose the other set screw and tighten it. I went back and forth a couple of times to be sure I got the assembly as tight and closed as possible. The end result is that it works as good or better than original and relieving some of the tension on the assembly "should" allow it to continue that way. This design is a real piece of work and if the white plastic gear was made of aluminum or brass the clip idea would work forever......BUT, being made of plastic, time and the excessive spring pressure will eventually take it's toll on the clip area. I really like this model and in my opinion, it surpasses the Royal 1000, 3000 and 7000 series in overall performance.
If this sounds like brain surgery.......just ignore the fact that the detents don't click and enjoy the performance of the radio.
Good luck to all!
Bob :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Tue 15, 2011 6:07 am 

Thanks froggy115. I took my R7000-2 to my local Zenith repair Tech. I'm having him do a full service and alignment on it. I'm sure this radio has never been serviced. My local Tech is very reasonable. He's going to look into the detent issue. He has been doing general electronic repair for over thirty years. The work he has done on my three Royals has been very good. If he says the detent switch is more trouble than it's worth once he gets into it then fine, I'm good with it. I know he'll still do a good service and alignment on it. I'll let everyone know how it worked out when I get it back.
P.S. I had mentioned in one of my earlier post that I was quoted big $$$ to repair the switch. That quote was from a different shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Fri 18, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hello. I got my R7000-2 back. It's fixed. My tech said it was not a easy repair. He actually had to make a part for the switch that was broken. In my radios case it was a part that held the detent switch together. He said he wouldn't be doing any more of these. A lot of time involved. I will be treating this band switch with care.
Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I'm now a very happy R7000-2 owner.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 7:15 am 

J4AMDX wrote:
Hello. I got my R7000-2 back. It's fixed. My tech said it was not a easy repair. He actually had to make a part for the switch that was broken. In my radios case it was a part that held the detent switch together. He said he wouldn't be doing any more of these. A lot of time involved. I will be treating this band switch with care.
Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I'm now a very happy R7000-2 owner.

...Hello fellow Medfordite. If you are still around. I just got one of these critters, in worse shape than I was believing it to be. All the case standoffs are either broke (2) off or stripped. The meter light assy is a cobble job, the detent was apart, and can't find one of the balls, or the clip. Quite disappointed. :evil: Hate buying on EBay, as soooo many products aren't represented as they actually are, or the seller doesn't look closely for deep damage. Also, the face is falling off, and the log is not present.
..Anyhow, trying to figure out how to time the band switches to the dial drum. Anybody know how ??? Not a peep in the service manual. :( Trial and error method, I imagine. Thanks for any tips. Bob

Post subject: Re: Zenith R7000-2 band switch problem
PostPosted: Mar Wed 06, 2019 7:34 pm 

UPDATE: Well, luckily, the radio works fine, after pulling audio/if board, and reinserting it a few cycles. That fixed the totally dead radio problem. Has (had, it was missing) a weird bulb for indicators, so soldered a model 14v bulb onto bulb light wires, and shoved it into hole with dum-dum. Works a treat, and installed new dial drum bulbs. .....Now, to fix broken speaker studs and the 2 broken chassis stand-offs. That's another day. Wish I knew the type of plastic, so I can choose the proper glue.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 6:33 pm 

I know this is an old post. As I write mine just broke. Funny as I was thinking this last night when I was using the radio. Premonition I guess... after reading this I'm probably gonna leave mine as is. Glad I found the post!

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:04 pm 

Mine broke a few years ago. Since the radio works so well otherwise, I'm taking my own advice posted earlier and just using it as is.

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:30 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Mine broke a few years ago. Since the radio works so well otherwise, I'm taking my own advice posted earlier and just using it as is.

Dave

Hi Dave, long time no talk! Glad to see you.

Rich

PostPosted: May Wed 06, 2020 8:33 pm 

Just a "Modern Technology to the Rescue" Thought. With the new "Plastic Printers" that can make a 3-D part while you wait, couldn't somebody into New Tech take a good gear (or any other hard to get plastic part) and make it out of BETTER, Modern Plastic - and make them available to the hobby? Anyone here have a "Part/Plastic 3-D Printer" or know someone who uses them to make small parts?
Seems like someone in this hobby would be all over this, making gears, knobs, etc., better than original.
Just a thought - I just have a few old radios.....
CC