Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 25, 2020 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic RF-5000
PostPosted: Sep Fri 20, 2019 2:08 pm 

I have recently acquired a Panasonic RF-5000 from the 'Bay and plan to tackle the cosmetic issues before digging into the electronics. It is missing the telescoping antennas and front cover but otherwise appears to be intact. The big problem is that it is FILTHY! Can someone please give me some advice regarding cleaning it up:

(1) The material that covers the rear panel and side panel inserts is relatively clean but sticky. I suspect the material is plastic or some other "faux" leather but could be real leather ( after all Panasonic bills it as "the world's most luxurious radio"). Any advice as to the best way to clean this material? I've tried dishwashing soap which didn't do the job. is it plastic or leather?

(2) Can someone recommend a likely source for replacements for the telescoping antennas? Radio Shack used to sell a few of these, but.......

(3) I've read the posts about the deteriorating bumpers on the band select switches, are there any other common failure issues that plague this radio and will require attention. The radio "seems" to be functional but I really won't be able to tell until I clean the band select switches.

This is one complex radio, at least to a "newbie" such as myself, and should be an interesting challenge. Any advice from those who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.

John

Post subject: Re: Panasonic RF-5000
PostPosted: Sep Fri 20, 2019 8:28 pm 

johnt46 wrote: The big problem is that it is FILTHY!
with what - regular dirt/grime, grease or nicotine?

Are you missing the front panel?
it is also covered in leatherette.

I've never seen the Panasonic RF-5000 advertised as a luxurious radio. lol

Sticky - - it is reacting to the environment that it has been in (re: your filthy comment), or someone has applied something to it (Son-of-a-Gun or furniture polish... the list is endless).
It may even be a fungus or mold attack!

I have Panasonic radios (BNIB with leatherette coverings) from the same time frame, and they are all in mint condition.

:) Greg.
oh... if it was real leather, it would be stamped to say so.
photos→ https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649 ... s/1911080/

Edit: A lot of my sketchy radios get all surfaces wiped down with neat distilled white (grocery store) vinegar using paper kitchen towels.
As always, check the white paper towel as you go for signs of color (dye) removal.
The strong vinegar smell will soon dissipate.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 20, 2019 9:41 pm 

It's hard to know what to suggest without seeing the radio to see what sort of grime and contamination it has.

On hard plastics you can use dish soap like Sunlight or Dawn - immerse the cabinet in warm water (innards removed of course!) and scrub with a toothbrush. It's tedious but it works, and gets into all the little nooks & crannies and textured surfaces.

For things like oil or cooking fat, WD40 works well. Afterwards use the water and dish soap method to remove any remaining oiliness.

For general dirt and nicotine, I use a foam cleaner spray such as Servisol 30. I sometimes use Peek Spray-Away if I run out of Servisol (I use a lot of it).

For clear plastic dial windows and hard shiny plastic cabinets, I use Greygate Plastic Polish.

For metal trims, just use your favorite metal polish like McGuires, Mother's, Peek, Autosol or Silvo........

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 21, 2019 4:31 am 

Thanks for the suggestions for cleaning products, I have tried dishwashing soap with no success and will next try vinegar. A trip to Auto Zone for a vinyl cleaner may also be worthwhile.

It may be that the radio was stored in an environment that attacked the covering chemically as only the exterior surfaces are sticky, the inner surface of the rear panel, which is covered with the same material as the outside, is dirty but not sticky!

As for the claim that the RF-5000 is the "world's most 'luxurious' radio", those are Panasonic's words as printed on the front of the service manual! I've never heard a radio being described as "luxurious", perhaps it was just a poor translation from the Japanese.

John

PostPosted: Oct Sat 05, 2019 10:42 pm 

If grim is present , water and toothpaste can do the trick but do a little area at a time to prevent the quick drying up of the toothpaste but even if that happens, it can be removed with water. You can also use a mix of 60% water/30% rubbing alcohol/10% ammonia (you can make it a little stronger) but work with ventilation because of the ammonia. This may leave the surface dull which can be shined with ArmorAll. Car wax can shine some material so you don't lose anything trying it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 06, 2019 2:31 pm 

johnt46 wrote:

As for the claim that the RF-5000 is the "world's most 'luxurious' radio", those are Panasonic's words as printed on the front of the service manual! I've never heard a radio being described as "luxurious", perhaps it was just a poor translation from the Japanese.

I am sure if you looked through a bunch of old Zenith ads, that sort of hyperbole would be pretty mild by comparison.

Brett

PostPosted: Oct Fri 11, 2019 4:58 pm 

johnt46 wrote:
I have recently acquired a Panasonic RF-5000 from the 'Bay and plan to tackle the cosmetic issues before digging into the electronics. It is missing the telescoping antennas and front cover but otherwise appears to be intact. The big problem is that it is FILTHY! Can someone please give me some advice regarding cleaning it up:

(1) The material that covers the rear panel and side panel inserts is relatively clean but sticky. I suspect the material is plastic or some other "faux" leather but could be real leather ( after all Panasonic bills it as "the world's most luxurious radio"). Any advice as to the best way to clean this material? I've tried dishwashing soap which didn't do the job. is it plastic or leather?

(2) Can someone recommend a likely source for replacements for the telescoping antennas? Radio Shack used to sell a few of these, but.......

(3) I've read the posts about the deteriorating bumpers on the band select switches, are there any other common failure issues that plague this radio and will require attention. The radio "seems" to be functional but I really won't be able to tell until I clean the band select switches.

This is one complex radio, at least to a "newbie" such as myself, and should be an interesting challenge. Any advice from those who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.

John

I absolutely love mine!
5x7" and 5" speakers, germanium transistors with push pull amp = vintage audio heaven!
Flywheel tuning knob, beautiful chrome, everything about this says "no cheap shortcuts, highest quality!"

PostPosted: Nov Wed 13, 2019 10:18 pm 

Almost Done!

After replacing a number of the ceramic trimmer capacitors in the AM front end and an alignment I've gotten all of the bands to work! I would still like to know Panasonic's rationale for using the local oscillator's second harmonic to generate the IF on the SW bands rather than the fundamental, but I guess that will just remain a mystery.

The RF-5000 doesn't appear to be quite as sensitive as my Zenith TO 7000 on MW, but it appears much more selective, probably a result of the ceramic filters in the Panasonic. Audio quality is as good as many on the board have described. Its a bear to work on because the chassis must be removed in order to get to any of the PCBs, but it was definitely worth the effort as the radio is truly a pleasure to listen to! Now I just need a hand truck to move it around!!

One issue still needs some attention: the tuning meter does not appear to work on the FM band. It works fine for any of the AM bands, but is "stuck" at about 30% of full-scale on FM regardless of the signal strength. Based on the radio's performance and observed voltages at the transistors I conclude that the IF amplifiers are healthy, but since the signal amplitude is only about 100 mV peak at the diode detector that drives the meter I wonder if the meter ever worked on FM. The trimpot associated with the meter detector has no effect.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has or has owned one of these radios, is this normal behavior??

Thanks